Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011 | 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

DON'T FORGET ... the K20 was tuned on PUMP gas not E85.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
you have to subtract the shaft and blade area to get the working area. as you mentioned tip speed absolutely has an effect on this. the compressor maps i previously posted showed the speedlines in RPM, but this one shows tip speed in m/s:
Makes sense and I had that in mind too.

I was going off some information posted by Scott at Forced Performance. At choke flow, based on inducer diameter alone it puts airspeed in the 0.4-0.5 mach region. 560m/s tip velocity on the other hand is well in excess of the speed of sound in standard atmospheric conditions. Without knowing blade tip height, I can't even guess on the radial speed component of the air, but the fact the tip speed is above mach 1, I would assume the air velocity is also above mach 1. If I recall correctly though, he mentioned the turbo typically "choking" when the exducer airflow speed approached like mach 1.4 or so.

Anyway, no real questions or anything, just curious about the topic and noticed some interesting details about it.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Hi Geoff , these turbos really do look the business and its pleasing to see the results of performance / engineerings minds when they develop a result rather than an OE price .

When I find time I'll look into their smaller TS IW turbos - sort of good for 350-400 pounds of torque and a pretty early onset for a 2L 4G63T engine .
It would be interesting to see what could have been done with turbos like these in the Evo Lancer rally days of air restrictors . I wouldn't want to restrict myself to say 5500 revs but I don't mind things falling off in the 6500-7000 rev range for a road car .
I guess you could say that a turbo which gave you stroked engine like performance without opening the bottom end and offered a factory width power range is a good thing . More likely to suit the factory gearing so good bang for buck amongst us "conservative" peoples .

The sales volumes probably can't justify a reverse rotation turbo with a Mitsubishi paterned turbine housing but it would sure make fitting up grouse turbos easier in a Lancer .

What we Evots wouldn't give for a larger family turbine housing for std config turbochargers and ball bearings .
In the day of CNC compressor wheels and relatively easily cast compressor housings the drama is STILL that turbine and its housiung .

Actually one more , to push the point of 1:1 compressor/turbine inlet pressure ratios has anyone tried to overlay compressor and turbine maps say in different colours (yep I spell in Aussie) to make the differences stand out ?

Great thread , cheers Adrian .
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by discopotato03
It would be interesting to see what could have been done with turbos like these in the Evo Lancer rally days of air restrictors . I wouldn't want to restrict myself to say 5500 revs but I don't mind things falling off in the 6500-7000 rev range for a road car
if you want to see how these turbos behave with a restricted inlet you can input the values into the matchbot for "air filter restriction" and really start ramping the restriction up in the higher rpm's as you mentioned. This is of course an approxamation but with some real data you can get close.

the reverse-rotation stock frame evo turbo you are asking for is really that HKS unit.. sean ivey is a huge fan of that one i know
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

any idea when the billet bpv covers will be available and a rough cost estimate? if they arent too expensive and are out when my 8374d ships, put me down for one. also, are the water fittings included? thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

How well does the Internal WG hold up with higher boost levels.
I would like to see some testing of 7670.
Old Jan 24, 2011 | 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
any idea when the billet bpv covers will be available and a rough cost estimate? if they arent too expensive and are out when my 8374d ships, put me down for one. also, are the water fittings included? thanks!
Are you talking about blocking off the integrated compressor by-pass valve on the compressor cover?

I'm going to make a 1/4" thk aluminum block off plate for my existing GReddy Type-RS BOV flange that lurks on my UICP.

I'm going to give the integrated CBV a try and see how it works.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 03:14 AM
Evolved Member

No, im talking about a billet version of whats already on it to dress it up a bit.

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr
Are you talking about blocking off the integrated compressor by-pass valve on the compressor cover?

I'm going to make a 1/4" thk aluminum block off plate for my existing GReddy Type-RS BOV flange that lurks on my UICP.

I'm going to give the integrated CBV a try and see how it works.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

No, im talking about a billet version of whats already on it to dress it up a bit.
Ah, gotcha...
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:11 PM
Account Disabled

weve got you covered they are in production right now, and ill post pics up when they're ready. It comes with a 90 degree fitting so that its more versatile and easier to plumb, but of course you can use a straight fitting if you prefer

Originally Posted by XcreatonX
How well does the Internal WG hold up with higher boost levels. I would like to see some testing of 7670.
We are installing the stiffer WG actuator on the K20 RSX and will turn the boost up to 30psi next week. ill post some video + boost plots. After that is completed we plan to swap out to the 7670 singlescroll on the same car

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jan 25, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Dear Geoff,

Get one of these things on your Evo ASAP, I need to see how it does.

Thanks,

Mitch M
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:29 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Dear Geoff,

Thanks,

Mitch M
Dear Mitch,

Get a real car.

Thanks
Jon
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone done a back to back with a 7460R and a 9RS turbo ?

Deleated .

Last edited by discopotato03; Jan 25, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Dear Geoff,

Thanks,

Mitch M
Its too bad that a shop within 100 miles of milwaukee hasnt sent an invitation to me and my soon to arrive 8374 for a play date with a shop car.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Its too bad that a shop within 100 miles of milwaukee hasnt sent an invitation to me and my soon to arrive 8374 for a play date with a shop car.
<cough> Some shops don't believe in making twin-scroll manifolds ... </cough>

l8r)

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread