Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011 | 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
True, the ATP Casting doesn't look the prettiest but I've never heard of anyone having any issues with the ATP TS housings - and the performance seems acceptable, compared to the very very nice looking BW EFR housings which although look nice - come attached to turbos that come with 30% higher price tags, 1000% larger wait times, and from the people who I've found who have posted results you're almost 50% likely to have a failure the first time its use one in anger to get a result which may or may not be any better than some of the cheaper turbos easily available.
price is the same as a hta with a twinscroll housing, availability, sure but i had one in hand back in june, but my car was months behind so i sent it back so someone that could use it sooner could have it. as far as the bent shafts, we know of 2. while worrysome, im going to wait until more hit the dynos to come to a conclusion. borg warner has a history of great reliability so im not going to freak out quite yet.
Old Nov 6, 2011 | 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

There are definitely others, though to be fair some may not be a fair representation on the whole product - there is an EFR6258 which was on a Cobalt which failed for what I understand to be no good reason (should be easy to find with some googling), like the two EFR7670s we know of here... so if there are at least ten dyno results for these turbos you are aware of then we end up scraping under 33% failure rate for production version units not due to installation for turbos with well under 6 months of use on them.
Old Nov 6, 2011 | 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrLith
There are definitely others, though to be fair some may not be a fair representation on the whole product - there is an EFR6258 which was on a Cobalt which failed for what I understand to be no good reason (should be easy to find with some googling), like the two EFR7670s we know of here... so if there are at least ten dyno results for these turbos you are aware of then we end up scraping under 33% failure rate for production version units not due to installation for turbos with well under 6 months of use on them.
maybe thats why availability is poor, they had some issues and are correcting them. who knows, we can speculate all we want, but in the end we just need more to get out there.
Old Nov 6, 2011 | 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

The indy car turbos are certainly different from the EFRs that we'll be using.

It was great to see the efr booth. I got to meet Raffi, Geoff, Brock, and Eric Hsu... And talk turbos for a few hours.

I'm expecting a turbo around may 2012... Still waiting patiently
Old Nov 6, 2011 | 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
What competes with the 8374? The hta3586 would if they made a decent twin scroll turbine housing for it, but they dont. 4088r is close, but laggier. Please dont mention precision, i wouldnt run their garbage if they paid me.
Nobody has even posted one ts result with the 8374! So how can you compare it to others when there is nothing to compare???

We have seen one graph for a SS variant and to be honest the HTA86 still has it beat from what I've seen.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
The indy car turbos are certainly different from the EFRs that we'll be using.

It was great to see the efr booth. I got to meet Raffi, Geoff, Brock, and Eric Hsu... And talk turbos for a few hours.

I'm expecting a turbo around may 2012... Still waiting patiently
where are the pics? .... you promised pics
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Nobody has even posted one ts result with the 8374! So how can you compare it to others when there is nothing to compare???

We have seen one graph for a SS variant and to be honest the HTA86 still has it beat from what I've seen.
DB is the only one that really put a EFR turbo through its paces against some of the "older tech" turbo's and it didn't look impressive comparatively. It was good but not the groundbreaking tech everything was pointing towards.

Don't know what your deal is with PTE turbo's (@n2) but my 6265 1.0 AR T4 is doing just fine on my setup (we'll see how it does reliability). I expect the 66 wheel to make it a little more competitive with the HTA86. I'm still waiting to see something about the 8374 (since it seems this will be the HTA86's direct competition).
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
DB is the only one that really put a EFR turbo through its paces against some of the "older tech" turbo's and it didn't look impressive comparatively. It was good but not the groundbreaking tech everything was pointing towards.

Don't know what your deal is with PTE turbo's (@n2) but my 6265 1.0 AR T4 is doing just fine on my setup (we'll see how it does reliability). I expect the 66 wheel to make it a little more competitive with the HTA86. I'm still waiting to see something about the 8374 (since it seems this will be the HTA86's direct competition).
as i said, no direct comparison, but this looked promising especially for having an iwg.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showpost.p...05&postcount=5

i have a beef with pte because 2 of their turbos crapped the bed on me in less than 3,000 miles combined for no reason at all. same story across all car forums. they fail more often than any other turbo. if the efr fails on me for no reason, you bet ill slam them like i do precision any chance i get. i have no tolerance for junk parts.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

+1 for no tolerance for junk parts!

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
as i said, no direct comparison, but this looked promising especially for having an iwg.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showpost.p...05&postcount=5

i have a beef with pte because 2 of their turbos crapped the bed on me in less than 3,000 miles combined for no reason at all. same story across all car forums. they fail more often than any other turbo. if the efr fails on me for no reason, you bet ill slam them like i do precision any chance i get. i have no tolerance for junk parts.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7EVO7
where are the pics? .... you promised pics
I took 5 pictures and 1 video while I was in vegas. 4 of those 5 pictures were of cars... 2 of those car pictures were of Evo's... and none of the Evo pics were taken at SEMA. :P

I got to meet Otown-FL (Matt Dennison) and shoot the breeze for a while. Watched him run the T/A event @ LVMS.

The Indy turbochargers have aluminum CHRA's that are more compact...the turbine housings are REALLY compact and have no turbine inlet flange. They weld the turbo manifold directly to the turbine housing. pRetty sweet.

The turbine housing is SOOO compact that the turbine wheel nut actually protrudes from the turbine housing. Same thing on the compressor side.

The INDY turbo is more compact than a TiAL housed 3076R! It was nutso compact. AND IT WAS A 9180! lol the smaller indy turbo's look great as well. They were super compact and small as well.

Geoff showed us the 71xx EFR to be released in 201x (Marshall and I were like..what the hell is this? this isn't one of the options) It has a new turbine wheel design that is waaaay different than anything we've seen before. From the reported testing of these units it has a huge improvement in turbine efficiency... more or less more effectively using the inertia and direction of the gas flow through the turbine wheel. I can't effectively communicate it as well as Geoff did, but I understand it What it means is they're able to use much more aggressive compressor wheels and have the turbine to drive them.... resulting in lots of cake to have and eat.

I got to talk to Eric Hsu and the topic of the SSE car came up. It appears the SSE evo may not be running next year. Very sad to hear as I was rooting the USA based Evo team. I hope Dennis changes his mind, but alas it is his car to do with what he pleases.

I got to meet Sean Church and Oscar Jackson Sr.& Jr. Great bunch of people. The racing community is truly lucky to have people like these guys. Jr wooped up on some race car drivers during a Honda Civic Si "1 lap" event at LVMS. Oscar Junior really impressed me with his demeanor and how humble he is.... not to mention his driving ability! Oscar Senior was great to talk to as well. I wish I could shoot the breeze with him for a few more hours. Very smart, VERY experienced, and a great technical mind with practical thought that makes cents. Sean Church was great. We used his dyno on Thursday night before the TA event. Marshall gave him the reigns to tune the KFlashed Civic Si... and he did a great job. Obviously Sean is very experienced, but he moved VERY quickly and effectively through tuning the car. That combined with his Dynapack (he's got me sold on using a dynapack) experience... he tuned the entire load map, hi cam, lo cam, and 0, 15, 30, 40, 50 degree cam advance maps in a retarded quick amount of time with incredible accuracy and just blew me away.
We got to talk to Sean for maybe 3-4 hours and what a class act. I'd love to pick his brain for a few more hours, but alas he had to split to go back to LA and tune a Lamborghini :P sucks to be him right?

I successfully found some rare neon parts at SEMA... which none of you are interested in... but I was certainly excited. AEM has a new EMS... Infinity 10 or something like that. Looks promising. They had a great technical person at their booth. Evidently John Reed was OOTO driving some baja car. Got to talk to a Brembo Engineer about why they don't want us to split apart the calipers. Still didn't get a good answer. They just said buy our Brembo GT calipers :P

In any case. It was pretty awesome. I didn't take any pictures, but I can assure you the BW and Full-Race team are aware and conscious of what we're feeling adn saying as consumers and are doing their best to remedy the situation. We all want dates and answers, but I know, as a Project Manager myself, sometimes giving the customer a date you're not 100% on is the worst thing you can do.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 12:47 PM

^ Nice avatar there! lol
I just cancelled my EFR order, apparently I was #4 on the waiting list.. Oh well, my loss is somebody else's gain
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

rumor has it my 8374 is in transit to full-race and then to me after they get it late this week.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 02:34 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
I took 5 pictures and 1 video while I was in vegas. 4 of those 5 pictures were of cars... 2 of those car pictures were of Evo's... and none of the Evo pics were taken at SEMA. .....
Did you see if Full Race showed their top mount IW solution for the EFR?
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7EVO7
Did you see if Full Race showed their top mount IW solution for the EFR?
It was planned to be on display next the Sierra Sierra Evo. Since the Evo wasn't there, they opted not to bring their Top Mount IW display.

I can't wait to start cookin.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I Spied RT Ernie at SEMA

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread