Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to mention that I saw Mikey and JR at SEMA too I almost ran into Mike!

I also ran into Bob from Drift Office at the Belagio... Marshall and I were drinking and walking around Vegas. Ran into him (literally) in the lobby.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:27 PM

Since ya'll seem to want to see some of the stuff from the EFR booth at SEMA, here are some pictures someone posted on the MR2 boards:

I talked to the Borg Warner guys at SEMA, got some interesting info on these things.....

They didnt hide behind the fact that there arent any of these turbos for sale. They said they experienced a few "bottlenecks" (very vague) and it would be spring, yes into 2012, before you see fresh stock out there.

Treadstone performance that was selling these on ebay, is not an authorized dealer and they said don't buy from them. When they figure out who is supplying them they will be cut off as well. The rep said anyone selling these in bulk on ebay got them from somewhere else and they arent happy about it. They want to keep these things in legit dealers hands. The rep identified treadstone by name, and one other.
Name:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1562.jpg
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1564.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1563.jpg
Size:  78.7 KB

Holding this thing was amazing. If you lightly blew on it it would spin, and spin and spin. They had an inconel wheel to hold and one of their titanium wheels. The weight difference was huge, a few lbs, difference.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Not to be that guy, but these were released LAST SEMA...and hyped the weeks before that. I think "bottleneck" is an understatement.

Saying it was a bottleneck is like saying the titanic sank when it struck an icecube in the north atlantic or Hiroshima "only" had one little 500 lb bomb dropped on it.

Hopefully they at least become available to the general population and arent ghost turbos.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Nov 7, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 03:55 PM
Former Sponsor

^well said
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MrLith
True, the ATP Casting doesn't look the prettiest but I've never heard of anyone having any issues with the ATP TS housings - and the performance seems acceptable, compared to the very very nice looking BW EFR housings which although look nice - come attached to turbos that come with 30% higher price tags, 1000% larger wait times, and from the people who I've found who have posted results you're almost 50% likely to have a failure the first time its use one in anger to get a result which may or may not be any better than some of the cheaper turbos easily available.
LOI had 1.06 ATP housing, its horrible! First i had to grind the walls on each side for the bolt clearance, its impossible to get to bolts that holding the assembly, and very uncomfortable to install / uninstall. The EFR is a joy, all the bolts are easy to get housing is nice and smooth on inside and out! ATP housing sucks!
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnsm
LOI had 1.06 ATP housing, its horrible! First i had to grind the walls on each side for the bolt clearance, its impossible to get to bolts that holding the assembly, and very uncomfortable to install / uninstall. The EFR is a joy, all the bolts are easy to get housing is nice and smooth on inside and out! ATP housing sucks!
how is the tuning coming along?
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
how is the tuning coming along?
tomorrow i have fuelab FPR coming in, replacing ****y P&L unit.
this Friday break in tune, after that just a matter of miles to put on the motor.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

tomorrow i have fuelab FPR coming in, replacing ****y P&L unit.
this Friday break in tune, after that just a matter of miles to put on the motor.
is paul helping you with the fpr?
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
is paul helping you with the fpr?
well i did talk to him this morning and he promised to call me back on replacement unit, and never did!
So i said *** it and went with FuelAB, i started to hear allot of bad things about P&L.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

well i did talk to him this morning and he promised to call me back on replacement unit, and never did!
So i said *** it and went with FuelAB, i started to hear allot of bad things about P&L.
i live 2 hours from them and had a couple tunes done by jorge. paul is a sharp guy and great mechanic, but not a great salesman. i have heard of some shady stuff, but they never did me wrong. in fact i showed up for a tune and my turbo took a dump and pressurized my catch can and soaked the engine in oil. they tossed it on a lift, cleaned it up and didnt charge me a dime, even though they lost a dyno slot and i didnt spend a dollar that day. never bought any house brand parts though.
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like the squeaky wheel got some grease.
Old Nov 8, 2011 | 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

well, how many are still excited to recieve your EFR turbos?
Old Nov 8, 2011 | 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evosdad
well, how many are still excited to recieve your efr turbos?
i am!
Old Nov 8, 2011 | 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm afraid to put mine on... haha
Old Nov 10, 2011 | 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

can a poll be done on the tread on who is waiting for what efr?

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread