Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2011 | 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Are those numbers uncorrected? What ramp load are you using?
Old Dec 23, 2011 | 10:17 PM

Have all the comparative HP/TQ curves been taken in the same gear..?
To me, this is where I see a discrepancy...
The 7670 HP/TQ plots just seem too early for me to, like it was recorded in a much higher gear...say 5th...while all the others turbos were done in say 3rd gear!

*Edit*
And I'm aware the dyno sheets say 3rd gear...

Last edited by Phoenix*; Dec 24, 2011 at 03:27 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

The point of eddy current dyno comparison is that, if with the previous turbo I have used a an amount X of eddy current load, and now I have a turbo that makes a lot more torque and power, so I must use an amount of load of X+20% to have the same ramp rate, the spool curve can't be compared.

However this is an absolute GREAT result

Last edited by eTiLiKo; Dec 24, 2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix*
Have all the comparative HP/TQ curves been taken in the same gear..?
To me, this is where I see a discrepancy...
The 7670 HP/TQ plots just seem too early for me to, like it was recorded in a much higher gear...say 5th...while all the others turbos were done in say 3rd gear!

*Edit*
And I'm aware the dyno sheets say 3rd gear...
Same gear is used in all tests and its 3rd gear,
Test was done by selecting 3000rpm as the starting point then loading up the engine and waiting 3 seconds to start the run,
The EFR just wants to make boost its awesome and I just cant see how to fake a boost log and the dd dyno is run in shoot out mode.

Mark
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mark S
Same gear is used in all tests and its 3rd gear,
Test was done by selecting 3000rpm as the starting point then loading up the engine and waiting 3 seconds to start the run,
The EFR just wants to make boost its awesome and I just cant see how to fake a boost log and the dd dyno is run in shoot out mode.

Mark
So, you load the motor @ 3000rpm...and while doing this, what throttle % are you applying..?

Looking at your whp dyno plot...it shows 2.5bar boost pre-3500rpm!!!
Relative pressure..? Damn!!!

That's no lag Mark!
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

So, you load the motor @ 3000rpm...and while doing this, what throttle % are you applying..?

Looking at your whp dyno plot...it shows 2.5bar boost pre-3500rpm!!!
Relative pressure..? Damn!!!

That's no lag Mark!
We lock the dyno to hold 3k and then apply full throttle holding it there for 3 seconds and then let it run the power run,
This is how I would expect most to start a power run and theres no point starting it at anything less than full throttle its only the starting point to be diff,
The EFR is awesome on that set up.

Mark
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 08:26 AM

We lock the dyno to hold 3k and then apply full throttle holding it there for 3 seconds and then let it run the power run,
This is how I would expect most to start a power run and theres no point starting it at anything less than full throttle its only the starting point to be diff,

Mark
I hear you about loading the motor with the dyno...
But, I don't see the point in locking the motor to one speed and building so much boost...
Doing this for testing purposes is one thing, but it doesn't really simulate how the turbo will perform/behave on the track or street!

Yes, it obviously has the potential to spool quick and likes boost, but were all the other comparative turbos listed on your dyno sheet also tested in the same manner..?
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

I hear you about loading the motor with the dyno...
But, I don't see the point in locking the motor to one speed and building so much boost...
Doing this for testing purposes is one thing, but it doesn't really simulate how the turbo will perform/behave on the track or street!

Yes, it obviously has the potential to spool quick and likes boost, but were all the other comparative turbos listed on your dyno sheet also tested in the same manner..?

Its my standard method of testing so yes they are all the same,
On the track you are never at 3k so that doesnt inc in the RR test and on the street you are cruising and then press the accel pedal is the same.

Mark
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

The difference between the 3 curves at anything less than 5000 rpm is ridiculous. I have to say that when I looked at the curves, I thought for sure that the EFR was run as you say, but the other 2 were run up from a light throttle cruise. This because the other 2 are shown making less than 180 whp at 4000 rpm, which I figure those turbos are capable of without the 3 second WOT preload. Have to wonder what the 3 curves would look like if each run was started from a 3000 rpm light-throttle cruise condition (like street driving). Great results though - thanks for posting!
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

I'm still having a hard time looking at a dyno comparison where the GT3076 spools up at 5k.
Old Dec 24, 2011 | 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dave W.
I'm still having a hard time looking at a dyno comparison where the GT3076 spools up at 5k.
+1

we make 18psi @ 3500-3800 on those turbo's in TS T3
Old Dec 25, 2011 | 02:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
The difference between the 3 curves at anything less than 5000 rpm is ridiculous. I have to say that when I looked at the curves, I thought for sure that the EFR was run as you say, but the other 2 were run up from a light throttle cruise. This because the other 2 are shown making less than 180 whp at 4000 rpm, which I figure those turbos are capable of without the 3 second WOT preload. Have to wonder what the 3 curves would look like if each run was started from a 3000 rpm light-throttle cruise condition (like street driving). Great results though - thanks for posting!

They were all run in the same way 100%, The GT30 was about a year ago and the S200 was about 6 months.

Mark
Old Dec 25, 2011 | 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

On the track you are never at 3k so that doesnt inc in the RR test and on the street you are cruising and then press the accel pedal is the same.

Mark
Mark,

That is NOT the correct way to run a DD. You are in effect building boost PRIOR to throwing the switch for the power run to commence (ramp up) hence the amazing amount of boost at the start of the "logged" run.

The correct way to start a power run (shoot44) on DD (Dyno Dynamics) is to run the car upto 2000rpm, flick the switch to start the ramp rate and power run and then floor it then the the boost from start to finish would be logged i.e it might actually show some spool up.

Last edited by Conrad; Dec 25, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2011 | 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Mark
3 seconds? That is a very long time.

The run can and should be started as soon as 100% throttle is applied.
Old Dec 26, 2011 | 01:03 AM

Mark
Still finding this a tad hard to digest...
The other 2 turbos are only showing 1.3bar between 4000-4250rpm...or there abouts!
By you saying all turbos were tested in the same manner @ 3000rpm, you are basically implying that the GT30 and S200 built-up virtually zero boost under load...

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread