Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011 | 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
If the 7670 is run outside the efficiency islands on the map, but using E85 and a large, efficient intercooler, what would you expect the upper limit of lbs/min it would flow will be? Is that the 64 lbs/min that BW uses in their literature? Where is the choke point for the 7670?
64lb/min is the max flow the 7670 compressor is capable of - and the choke point for that turbo, regardless of what intercooler or fuel you use. When it is at 64lb/min of air you will require a large/efficient intercooler and E85 or high octane fuel because the turbo's air is warm due to operation outside the high efficiency islands.

Originally Posted by Kins
I honestly feel a 7670 will be plenty for me and my car. I feel the 8374 would be a real handful - I'd sooner drive the 7670 flat out than attempting to tame the 8734 (power is nothing without control and all that)...Re headwork - I've opted for standard sized valves on a fully ported cnc head. This will be going on a fully built motor that should take what I can throw at it
just like the larger turbo will not necessarily make you faster on the track - a heavily ported head is not necessarily the best thing to do for a 7670 time attack application. The evo headport stock is outstanding, with a simple and effective radius valvejob you can gain plenty of flow, without even touching the ports. of course this is up to you and your preference however. a valvejob + valvetrain + good intake manifold seems to me to be a very attractive setup (thats my plan at the moment)

Originally Posted by acssa
When is the turbos becoming availible?
I was told first week in Feb... some here say mid to end march...
We continue to receive EFR shipments at the beginning of each month, based on BW's initial early production schedules (this will change by april/may and there will be much more availability). Currently, the singlescroll EFR turbos continue to trickle in however the investment cast twinscroll turbines are not ready. The twinscroll housing manufacturer did not hold the surface finish/consistency/tolerance that BW demands. BW won't ship EFR's that aren't perfect, so they made the investment casting facility get busy and re-run all the twinscroll housings -> moving twinscroll delivery to march.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
I'll be looking to buy a turbo/kit in April so hopefully by then we'll have some results closer to what I'm looking for. It seems like it'll hit hard for sure up top but the area to the left is what I'm interested in the most.
april will be a good time frame!
Old Jan 29, 2011 | 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

geoff, what material is the chra made out of? any coating options for it?
Old Jan 31, 2011 | 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
geoff, what material is the chra made out of? any coating options for it?
The bearing housing is made of cast iron and it can rust if not coated. The customer can paint it, if desired, and the paint will “stay put” since the CHRA actually runs pretty cool with the water. On our cars we coat them with WD40 from time to time and they stay looking pretty nice, no rust
Old Jan 31, 2011 | 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

What i really like about these new turbos are the Turbines in them.

If what I am guessing is right, they are using Gamma Titanium Aluminide:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_aluminide

Which is a step forward from the Titanium Nickel Alloy used in older turbines

A Stainless Steel turbine housing, and Dual Ceramic ball Bearings.

http://www.turbodriven.com/en/perfor...urbos/efr.aspx
Old Feb 6, 2011 | 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Have these arrived yet...
Old Feb 6, 2011 | 04:22 AM
Account Disabled

these turbos are trickling in...let us know if you want to get one.
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Are these the same turbos that Bullseye turbo sells?
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

No.
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I can't wait for my 9180!!
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 03:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
What i really like about these new turbos are the Turbines in them. If what I am guessing is right, they are using Gamma Titanium Aluminide:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_aluminide Which is a step forward from the Titanium Nickel Alloy used in older turbines A Stainless Steel turbine housing, and Dual Ceramic ball Bearings
agreed ^^^^ those are the big differentiators that make these EFR turbos stand out compared to other turbos. The other features like integrated BOV, oil restrictor, vband compressor housing, etc are all nice features also, just not as

Originally Posted by way2qik
Are these the same turbos that Bullseye turbo sells?
these are certainly not the same

Originally Posted by EVO8_PR
Have these arrived yet...
singlescrolls continue to arrive, twinscrolls are taking some time as we wait for the housings
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RunThat
I can't wait for my 9180!!
+1!!!! TS FTW
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 04:39 PM
EvoM Guru

pictures stolen from this thread, i hope he doesn't mind me using them.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=755332

GT3582R vs BW EFR 8374, both with 0.82 exhaust housing.

Name:  JUNEFRAFRPUMPGAS.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  JUNEFRBOOST.jpg
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  JUN_B-A_POWER.jpg
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  JUN_boosthi.jpg
Size:  80.0 KB

Please bear in mind that a correction factor of "SAE" is very easy to botch with ambient air temp sensor placement, i'd be much happier with uncorrected.
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for posting ^^^

it seems the 8374 has the same spool, but makes more power everywhere. I'm really temped to get the 8374, but the 7670 looks like it will do so well.
Old Feb 7, 2011 | 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

I'm waiting on the 1.05 TS T4 EFR7670.
Can't wait!
Old Feb 8, 2011 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

GEOFF realistically what would be the price of a kit from your guys with this turbo. If it has a wastegate built in then that obviously lessens the cost.

I'm trying to determine pricing between this a regular ETS tubular kit with a HTA86 or a BR FF HTA86

Obviously the ETS kit would be cheapest. The BR kit will have some hidden costs (half width radiator, Civic Condensor and compressor for AC, etc).

I went on your site but I didn't see an option for the 8374 with you tubular manifold. It appears those would be the only things I would need. I already have upgraded IC and piping.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread