Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Failure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011 | 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Failure

So about 28,000 miles ago my factory clutch was slipping.. Before it got worse, I had the dealer install an ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Kit with a new flywheel. It has been great. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver.. The worst thing it sees is southern CA 405 traffic. I don't beat on it, no burnouts, maybe sometimes I give it a little juice when getting on the freeway. So last week my clutch started grinding and making horrible sounds when I pushed in the pedal. The dealer took it apart and said they never saw anything like this before. They said the springs came out of the clutch disc, etc. Has anyone ever had this issue with an ACT clutch? I'm getting the car back shortly and asked for the old clutch. So pictures will follow..
Old Jan 11, 2011 | 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen this happen a couple times, use the solid disc to avoid it happening again
Old Jan 11, 2011 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Totally true. Bought my 05 with an ACT street disc and flywheel already installed in it and shattered the same way as your describing last Wednesday. I just ordered a twin disc from ImportDPS yesterday to eliminate the problem for good. My buddy has a twin disc in his evo and it holds up excellent. A little chatter upon engagement but other than that no issues at all. Make sure to get the clutch fork stop with the clutch from STM or another manufacturer.
I think the rivets are what seems to be giving out from vibration from engagement and is them to break like that. Here's a pic of it when I removed it last Friday.
Attached Thumbnails ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Failure-act.jpg  
Old Jan 11, 2011 | 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

dude, same thing!

it looks like the rivets maybe came apart? who knows, the clutch disc is in about 30 pieces now
Old Jan 11, 2011 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

WOW, news to me, I an acts for 10+ years never an issue ?
Old Jan 11, 2011 | 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
WOW, news to me, I an acts for 10+ years never an issue ?
maybe it was just a dud.. this clutch has never even been dumped once.
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Dam I was looking into getting a ACT hd clutch. Makes me question about their quality when i see this s**t.

Plz foward these pics to > ACT.

Old Jan 12, 2011 | 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, I just bought the solid street disc...hope it's just an issue with the spring type.
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 08:06 AM

Last edited by pcload1etter; Jun 9, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pcload1etter
I hear this type of problem more about ACT than any other brand... do people have similar problems with Exedy clutches? or other brands? or is it just because ACT sells more than other brands of clutches.
Exedy issues are the opposite of ACT issues. They feel great but do not last long, all that smooth engagement will sacrifice a lot of material in friction. ACT's are simple modified stock units with much better ware material then stock and much stronger springs. The downside is the heavy clutch pedal which I love FWIW.
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evotech8
Dam I was looking into getting a ACT hd clutch. Makes me question about their quality when i see this s**t.

Plz foward these pics to > ACT.

I sent them a few and described what happened.
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

well to add my 0.02 i had that happen to me i ran an act hdss with prolite flywheel installed by a reputable shop, i still run this clutch i went through 3 since ive owned the car, first i couldnt get full disengagement due to one of the dowel pins in the clutch material was higher then the other not allowing good engagement, then clutch was replaced then 3k later same thing no beating on it driving it like a civilized person, getting on the 91 east from yorba linda to riverside grinded the f*ck going into 4th and to baby it home, got it to the shop same thing my springs inside the clutch hub had broken into about 20-30 pieces. Took a couple months to work out my warranty with ACT, of course they asked me questions like do u launch the car? what kinda power are you making? etc... there good clutches sometimes in the process of makin it sometimes things happen, my recommendation was when i replaced my new clutch i had them throw in the upper and lower SS clutch lines for better engagement, now im making about 100 hp more then i was before my build, and about 70lb ft tq more, and on pump gas ive put 19k and counting....so best bet call ACT work out the warranty with them...
good luck
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

damn i just got this clutch...
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frank120
damn i just got this clutch...
well i bought another one, so we'll see..
Old Jan 12, 2011 | 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

ok lol.

Quick Reply: ACT Heavy Duty Street Clutch Failure