Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

help oil light stays on!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help oil light stays on!!!

Hey evom im wondering if you can help diagnose the following. I started on my drive to work this morning and when i got on the expressway i noticed my oil light came on and didnt turn off. This got me scared and i pulled over on the next exit into a nearby gas station. I checked my oil and it was a little over the first notch of the dipstick which i know i neglected it for a bit but i dont think is to bad considering its suppose to be in between the first bottom notch and second top notch. Now i dont think i spun a bearing as my motor sounds healthy and i dont hear any knock, rattle, or tick other than the stock lifters. Now ive heard that usually its the sensor that goes bad. I went and bought that during lunch at work which ill install when i get home, and i also went ahead and reset my ecu. What has me questioning things is that the oil light wont reset. If anyone can chime in it would be great. Regardless i think im going to awd motorsports tomorrow so they can clear this up for me. Hopefully everything is ok, i have roughly 85,000 miles on an evo 8. Thanks for your inputs.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Oil light comes on = Low oil pressure... Get it checked out.. I had same problem, and ended up starving 4 cylinder rod bearing, and spun it.. so in goes a new shortblock... could be bad oil pump clogged oil filter, You cannot neglect an evo motor, if you do you will pay... KEEP CLEAN OIL IN YOUR MOTOR.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

alright thanks, i was told by a friend to take off the oil cap on the valve cover and cover the whole with my hand. He told me i should feel a little pressure sucking my hand in a little, should i do this? will this actually help me diagnose anything?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo8ux2
alright thanks, i was told by a friend to take off the oil cap on the valve cover and cover the whole with my hand. He told me i should feel a little pressure sucking my hand in a little, should i do this? will this actually help me diagnose anything?
Tell your friend to stay away from engines, he is lost in space !!!!!
I would not drive your Evo untill you remove the sending unit and hook up a gauge to check the real pressure. Any competent mechanic has a setup to do this. If you are driving it now, it is probably too late. You have allready damaged your engine if the pressure is low. I would have it towed to a garage and checked.
Don
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

well thats the thing i had no other choice but to drive it, i had a meeting at work i could not miss. So far what ive read up is that it could be a bad sensor, fuel pump, or spun bearing. I think i can eliminate the spun bearing as my motor doesnt sound like any of the knocking, cluncking, or ticking ive heard on youtube on spun bearings. Im leaning towards a bad sensor or the fuel pump. Either wat im taking it to AWD motorsports tomorrow to get it checked out.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Faulty sensor bro. Happen to me once. Change the sensor everything fine.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

i sure hope its the sensor, im changing that asap when i get home today.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrunr
Tell your friend to stay away from engines, he is lost in space !!!!!
I would not drive your Evo untill you remove the sending unit and hook up a gauge to check the real pressure. Any competent mechanic has a setup to do this. If you are driving it now, it is probably too late. You have allready damaged your engine if the pressure is low. I would have it towed to a garage and checked.
Don
I agree with what was said here.

Best case it is a bad sensor. Worst case it is already too late. I, like the other poster fell a victim of low oil pressure on my stock 2.0. By the time you figure it out and diagnose the problem if you have been driving it, it is too late.

You might not see knock instantly, but you have shredded some bearings, which can clog oil passages and cause issues among other things.

First things to check. Oil level, make sure their is oil in it, obviously. Secondly, remove the stock sensor on the sending unit and hook a real sensor in and get the pressure. I believe the stock sensor light only comes on if the pressure is extremely low, like less than 5psi low. As others stated, by the time you hit that, if you have been driving it, it is too late.

Hook an aftermarket gauge up to it and measure it at idle, it should be around 40psi depending on oil weight and if its warm or not etc.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

alright so your suggestion is not to even drive it from work, just to tow it home. Buy a Pressure gauge hook it up and see what the pressure is. If its at normal pressure i assume then it should be the sensor correct?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

What about the oil light not resetting after i disconnected the neg terminal on the battery?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Did you ever have the oil light flicker before. My evo had cams and at idle it would either flicker or stay on. Turned out to be a oil pressure sensor. Mine was an 03. Iv got a good feeling thats ur problem. They are very cheap and easy to do. Located on the back of the block under the intake manifold kinda close to the throttle body. Has 1 wire going to it. Im pretty confident thats ur problem.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Its not just gonna reset. Its not like a Check engine light. Its a light will go on and off as it senses oil pressure at a live rate. Disconnecting battery makes no changes.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put the sender in it, they go bad. Just check for corrosion on the wire too.

Good Luck
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

ok thanks for all the replies and support guys, and no i never had the light flicker. It was so random it just automatically came on out of no where, im inclining myself to the sensor as well so i will change it asap. Can anyone tell me the part # for that sensor just to make sure i bought the right one.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

ok update, while driving home i noticed it no longer stays fully on. It disappears when reving through 2k+ rpms. Usually by the time i switch gears and it drops rpms the light comes back on. I will change the sensor first thing tomorrow as its to dark out and i cant see worth a crap.

Quick Reply: help oil light stays on!!!