Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS vs. Magnus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an F1-I and I love it. I based my decision on R/Terni's Magnus install thread. It required quite a bit of work to be correctly installed on a Mivec motor. The F1-I is a complete bolt on. No modification necessary, plus it also comes with a new dipstick tube, whereas the Magnus requires customization of the OE tube. The F1-I also has the MAP sensor mount point cast into it, the Magnus needs it welded to it, or use the vacuum hose adapter.

As for performance, I'd bet its so close that it doesn't matter. A few differences I've noted: I'm almost sure the F1-I is much larger by volume, and the F1-I has internal intake trumpets that are optimized for size and direction of flow (computer aided). The Magnus appears to have a bit more of a taper in internal size the further it gets from the TB flange.

As for UICP, your only option is a customized aftermarket pipe (my route, custom ETS) or the WAY overpriced AMS UICP, which is 400 bucks (WTF!?). I prefer the custom ETS route, its a heavier duty steel, much sturdier than the alum. pipe that AMS sells IMO. Also, I highly doubt the Magnus UICP will fit the F1-I. The TB looks to be a couple inches closer to the DS of the car. But just a guess.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Well when I made the 591whp and 527tq on stock block, I had a MAP rev3 intake. I know the it (rev3) and the Wilson v2 are ported similarly, so I just want to see how it stacks up to some of the aftermarket intake manifolds(it's definitely the cheapest out of the bunch). I don't want to buy anything for my car that isn't necessary.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by still*boostn
My tuner just got the F1 in the mail that I'm installing tomorrow and it's a really nice unit. Casting is kinda ehh on the velocity stacks, But not bad, it is cast btw. But the V5 has proven itself with setting alot of records. So like was said, can't go wrong.

The car should be tuned withn a week, he(4doorbullet) will post redults when he gets around to tuning it.(gt3076r, comp 280, ete fmic, f1, 30psi, pump, built 2L).

I'll defenitly be getting a AMS F1 for my set up below.
Good like with the build, Can't wait fot the results.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
What a lot of people don't understand is that AMS says it made 60whp... They didn't tell you that was at the 1000whp level. We know for a fact the v5 is good for 45whp at the 500whp level. I'll see if I can find the back to back my buddy did.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-v5-omfg.html

Check out that Thread. the back to back is post #14.

Personally I love the v5. Takes some work to install but I think it is great at making power. Hell, I just broke a record with it yesterday!

Mikey
Thanks for the link, I was looking for some results for the magnus
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks Guys Im going with the V5

Last edited by h13cofrei; Jan 23, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
I'm not sure what you do for the AMS upper pipe, but the Magnus upper pipe is completely different. We developed an upper pipe kit specifically for the Magnus in short route with your choice of 2.5" or 3.0" piping and a wide selection of blow off valve flanges

We personally run the Magnus V5 on our street and drag car. It's a work of art.

Thanks!

Michael
Going with the V5, I'll make sure to contact you first can I get an estimate on the price?