Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The proper clutch adjustment spec

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow The proper clutch adjustment spec

I know this has been mentioned so many times but I have found HOW to adjust the clutch but not the adjustment "spec". I know how to adjust it but how do I know when too much is too much? If I'm neutral and push in the clutch, engine running, and go towards 1st or reverse it lunges in the direction of that gear, and some of the gears were a little notchy if I drove normal unless I drove it like a tractor trailer. So I adjusted the rod longer and it helped alot but there's still some roughness going into 1st or R and still lunges in the direction of the gear but not as much as before. If I adjust it anymore it will be putting constant pressure on the tob and I don't want that obviously, so I prob should bleed the clutch line and hope its because of air in the lime but besides that I don't know what else it would be and I want to know the proper spec, if I have too much preload on the clutch I don't want to mess up a $2300 clutch.

Is it when there is no free play or less or more or what? I assume a hair less than no free play but mine still isn't right so checking before I do anything more
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i will be following this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJxQyjIhUw
im goign to be bleeding/ adjusting the clutch tonight myself
i wish we lived closer. we could have worked on it together. no homo
Old Jan 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That's cool video. My only concern/question is that at the end he mentions "if you have a single disc unit should be ok". Like saying if you have a multie-disc there might be other problems, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good vid...I never knew about the checkvalve thing but it makes good sense and I don't see why it would be different for any other clutch.

I assume evo's have this same setup with the checkvalve thing? Since he said that setup is in the 1st gen dsm's in the beginning of the vid or something