Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

WHATS expected to break over 700 awhp

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It's all about the turbo and torque management though. The 2.4L gets the turbo moving and I control torque with timing and in my case also MIVEC. The 2.4 in and of itself wont break anything unless I am making massive torque way low.

Aaron
After seeing the sierra sierra dyno sheet, it looks like my plan to keep torque down with a 2.2L isnt going as intended. like you said, torque management will come into play.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Additional things to anticipate breaking:
  1. wallet
  2. marriage
  3. free time
  4. few local records
  5. tools
  6. health
  7. driveshaft
  8. sanity
Nailed it.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ta ace
yea i understand alot of it is involved in the tune and i trust all that to aaron at ER hands down so no worries there i will probably be going w/ a 3586 or 37r setup 7-800 awhp street / strip is my honest goal.. i think im on the right track? and i can replace things as they break its a hobby
this is how i generally go about doin builds, upgrade the things that are musts and run the rest until something happens. But there are exceptions to this rule cuz when some parts break they take a lot of other stuff with them such as when a rod breaks its gonna ruin the whole motor or when the t-case breaks it can possibly take out the trans, drive shaft, or even a rear end. I would just be careful to pick and choose what you are gonna upgrade so it won't cost a ton of money to fix in the long run. Also figure when a rear end goes, it can really really mess with the rest of the drivetrain. Usually it doesn't but when you start pushing a lot of power anything can happen.

This summer in vegas i was workin on a drag racing team with a couple drag cars and the rear end went out in one of them and it mess up the whole rear end, the driveshaft, and the tranny. Given the car is making in the 1800-1900hp range but its still something to consider
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
It's all about the turbo and torque management though. The 2.4L gets the turbo moving and I control torque with timing and in my case also MIVEC. The 2.4 in and of itself wont break anything unless I am making massive torque way low.

Aaron
two diff cars but when i was trying to decide to build a k20 or a k20/k24 combo every person i talked to told me that they were killing axles with the k24 they said the powerband was really aggressive and alot harder on drivetrain parts you seemed to have found a remedy for that off topic but ive always found it intresting that they rev the k24 just as high as the k20 yet the safe rpm limit for the 2.4 4g is alot lower then the 2.0.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with my car at 600awhp everything was holding up great for a long time. I began powershifting at the track and the transmission wouldn't go into gear properly. Did the buschur treatment and I never had another problem. At 700awhp everything was fine for a long time but eventually I cracked a wrist pin. Buschur came out with a thicker walled wrist pin and tougher piston so I run those now.

rockman is correct, I'm still on the stock transfer case. I learned a long time ago on the 3000/Steath platform that the driver is what kills them. I've had friends that went through a dozen of them (they are cheap to replace on the 3000/Stealth) and I'm on my stock one from 1991 in my Stealth (650awhp on race gas) after countless launches. On my 1992 VR4 (450awhp on pump) it's also on the stock tc and these are very heavy cars.

bottom line, drive it like an ******* and it'll break regardless of the mods to prevent it
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:25 PM

Without a doubt once you reach that point these cars become moneypits. I just purchased an 03 for my son with less than 9000 miles on the car. The previous owner had over 30k in mods and gave me the receipts to prove it. Long story short I purchased the car for my son with the motor blown after less than 150 miles on build.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
Account Disabled

if the motor blew within 150 miles on a build something was wrong with the assembly or it was abused/neglected. I daily drove and raced mine for years at 600-700awhp before I had a problem with the wrist pin.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
if the motor blew within 150 miles on a build something was wrong with the assembly or it was abused/neglected. I daily drove and raced mine for years at 600-700awhp before I had a problem with the wrist pin.
Ya I think there was a problem with the bearings the shop installed. Blew a hole right through the Buschur Racing block, the shop actually blew the car up so he did get some reimbursement from their insurance company.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:35 AM
Account Disabled

thats good that he got some help.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:47 AM

there is really no clear cut answer here. i would just replace things as they break. every car is different on how it will react to that amount of power. there no stopping at 700hp. when you reach that you will be thinking about 800hp. so try and build it once and build it right. also the cars dont become a money pit at 700hp. mine became one the day i got it home
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:14 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by snailman83
there is really no clear cut answer here. i would just replace things as they break. every car is different on how it will react to that amount of power. there no stopping at 700hp. when you reach that you will be thinking about 800hp. so try and build it once and build it right. also the cars dont become a money pit at 700hp. mine became one the day i got it home
yep, I bought mine and was ordering the tactrix cable on the way home. Raised the garage door and stole the mbc and cone filter from my TT Stealth haha