Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why we dont use spacers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Why we dont use spacers

So a common enough question we recieve in regards to the 2.4 based motors we do is why dont we offer a spacer like SBR, MAP, etc. Short answer is every spacer we have seen (to be fair we havent seen a MAP one) from every company that has ever offered them leaks.

Seems like I have a new complaint to list, they grind themselves up apparently-

The waterpump had no shaft play, the gaskets were dripping (remember there are two of them), someone had doped it up good with RTV and it still leaked. We pulled it apart to replace with an ER modified 2.0L pump and saw this.

Discuss

aaron
Old Jan 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap! Good info, Thanks for posting.

Josh
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

So what do you use instead of a spacer?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Oh snazzy
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Been using ours for awhile without any problems like this. I obviously recommend using a factory gasket between the spacer and the waterpump. RTV doesn't provide much "spacing" as much as the OEM 1mm+ gasket would. Not to mention a possible non-level surface, which looks like it could of happened in the picture you show above. Seeing as the grinding is more concetrated to one side versus the other, however that could just be from it grinding away enough material to unbalance it.

Like I said, we been using ours without any issues. I also just texted my customer that I know is replacing his SBR block with one of our 2.4L blocks and was using the MAP spacer for about 6 months now and he reported it looking just like it did when new.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Bump for Aron he's a good guy and deff knows his stuff....
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gkania
So what do you use instead of a spacer?
Modified stock pump, no spacer.

Originally Posted by maperformance
Been using ours for awhile without any problems like this. I obviously recommend using a factory gasket between the spacer and the waterpump. RTV doesn't provide much "spacing" as much as the OEM 1mm+ gasket would. Not to mention a possible non-level surface, which looks like it could of happened in the picture you show above. Seeing as the grinding is more concetrated to one side versus the other, however that could just be from it grinding away enough material to unbalance it.

Like I said, we been using ours without any issues. I also just texted my customer that I know is replacing his SBR block with one of our 2.4L blocks and was using the MAP spacer for about 6 months now and he reported it looking just like it did when new.
Chris,

I am sure most of this was installation. It did have 2 gaskets on it actually. The main issue is it gets spaced too far then the belt is not properly aligned. I am not really sure what started the problem with this pump but its fixed now. It was originally built by a shop that is no longer in business so where it came from and the quality of their work is not worthwhile to talk about. I havent ever seen a spacer not end up leaking of the brands we have seen.

Like I said, we havent seen any of your spacers though and I am not saying that all of them will do this but its one more thing that makes me not like spacers. If only the rumors of a factory waterpump that works were true

aaron
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
proper solution is evo 4 pump.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaron was this the one off Tony's car? btw do you have his number you can shoot me a pm. I want to see if he wants to come to the meet tomorow! Thanks

Mikey
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
proper solution is evo 4 pump.
Tried it already. That seems to be a myth or something has changed about the pump manufacture. Realistically it would only cover the 4-8 4G64 since the IX is still different
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

ouch
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Wow nice find Aaron! Do you sell the modified stock water pumps to the public?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

ive modifies the the stock pump.....just got the machine shop to weld some alloy where it needs sealing to the block ........ive done it twice with no leaks....and yeh it does shred serp belts with a spacer.....a mate of mine had this same issue, but he had no leaks and put in 5pk belt instead of the stock 6pk.....that also worked
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kasey
Wow nice find Aaron! Do you sell the modified stock water pumps to the public?
Yes we do, adds 100 to the price of an OE pump.

Aaron
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoyrrah
ive modifies the the stock pump.....just got the machine shop to weld some alloy where it needs sealing to the block ........ive done it twice with no leaks....and yeh it does shred serp belts with a spacer.....a mate of mine had this same issue, but he had no leaks and put in 5pk belt instead of the stock 6pk.....that also worked
If you dropped a rib and spaced it out that would cure the shredding I can see that for sure. Still a leak is a leak and I cant abide that.

Quick Reply: Why we dont use spacers