Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another FP Red bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbk seems like the better option seeing as I have yet to hear of one of those going bad.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Which oil line were you using? Did you inspect the inline filter for debris?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blkmkIII
bbk seems like the better option seeing as I have yet to hear of one of those going bad.
There's probably 50 FP Reds sold for every one BBK. That's the main reason that you see failures on Reds and fewer of other brands mentioned. There's nothing unique about the BBK in terms of reliability.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Q
Will do, I sent them an email as soon as it went down. Do you know how much time it takes to rebuild it and send it back?
I've been on the phone with FP about sending my IX turbo in to be converted to a green...the first time I called they said turnaround would be around 3 wks. the second time I called I was told about 2 wks for turnaround. Either way it will be relatively quick...in reality, I anticipate about 4wks until its back on my doorstep. Your situation is a bit different, but either way they need to take it apart and inspect/repair/rebuild. Your best bet is to call them...I still have a few unanswered emails from them...
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by milford
yes
I still think there's too much speculation to say one way or the other:

Originally Posted by dieselmd
^^^^. I spoke with Amber at FP last week and she said Robert would not be making a BB Black. FP's reason, "it would cost way too much".
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by achilles3000
Just note if you had a big boost leak and you were tuned for 25 or say 30 psi the turbo has to spin twice as much to keep up for the boost because of the leak and that would make the turbo think it's being tuned for 40 psi or more.That would blow the turbo up too it's over spinning the shaft in the turbo!
Bingo.. overspeed!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So what is more reliable. BBK or Red? I will be ordering my Red next week sometime. But if I have to worry about the thing blowing on me, then I'd rather go with something more reliable. I dont track the car or dawg the car out at all. I cant remember the last time I went WOT, and I only dragged the car once to see where it stood.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Which oil line were you using? Did you inspect the inline filter for debris?
I was using 10w-50 mobil 1 and switched to racing 4t.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just note if you had a big boost leak and you were tuned for 25 or say 30 psi the turbo has to spin twice as much to keep up for the boost because of the leak and that would make the turbo think it's being tuned for 40 psi or more.That would blow the turbo up too it's over spinning the shaft in the turbo!
I had a boost leak, but it was fixed. I only had a boost leak during the first dyno session which was with less than 500 miles on it. The rest of its life it was easy riding since I had to replace my clutch too because it was dying... Was this enough to kill it ?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
I've been on the phone with FP about sending my IX turbo in to be converted to a green...the first time I called they said turnaround would be around 3 wks. the second time I called I was told about 2 wks for turnaround. Either way it will be relatively quick...in reality, I anticipate about 4wks until its back on my doorstep. Your situation is a bit different, but either way they need to take it apart and inspect/repair/rebuild. Your best bet is to call them...I still have a few unanswered emails from them...
That sounds fair enough!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly....Might not have been the total cause but it sure didn't help.

Before I got my car it had a red on it with very low miles and he told me it blew up because it didnt have the proper oil line on it. Somewhere on FP I read the turbos dont like the oil pressure line coming from the head because at some times at oil the pressure out of the head can be very low so you need to get the oil line that gets the oil from somewhere else?? the block or oil filter housing? (they might be talkin about a different engine tho) I honestly dont know where the stock feed line is from just what I read and I'm new with these motors. But anyways an fp black was installed on my car with the proper oil line and has been fine since *knocks on wood*

Before you put on any more turbos make sure you have the proper oil line and source and if you have a filter in the line check if its clogged up. and of course fix all the boost leaks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Q
I was using 10w-50 mobil 1 and switched to racing 4t.
No no, which oil LINE were you using? Was it an FP oil line to the oil filter housing or the stock oil feed line to the cylinder head (which bolts on fine, but gives less steady oil pressure to the turbo).

To ssg_petty, why would you upgrade the turbo at all if you don't go WOT hardly ever? You'd get better performance just sticking with the fast spooling stock turbo. With the Red and other bigger turbos, the car will actually seems slower at low RPM, part throttle because it will be making less boost.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
No no, which oil LINE were you using? Was it an FP oil line to the oil filter housing or the stock oil feed line to the cylinder head (which bolts on fine, but gives less steady oil pressure to the turbo).

To ssg_petty, why would you upgrade the turbo at all if you don't go WOT hardly ever? You'd get better performance just sticking with the fast spooling stock turbo. With the Red and other bigger turbos, the car will actually seems slower at low RPM, part throttle because it will be making less boost.
I bought it with the FP oil line kit if that answers your question
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

from my limited experience, you running the 'wrong' oil for 2500 miles would be enough to eat it up.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zivman
from my limited experience, you running the 'wrong' oil for 2500 miles would be enough to eat it up.
My Fp Red lasted about 50000 mi with the "wrong" oil. I also only used the first oil line upgrade with no filter coming directly from the head. It died spectacularly. I always ran 30 psi. It gave with no warning. Driving fine, go to boost and pang, turbo is dead lol.

To be fair my buddies only lasted half a track day with the stock line and before the recommend oil list.

Last edited by mt057; Jan 23, 2011 at 03:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Another FP Red bites the dust.