Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another FP Red bites the dust.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is rather odd that most of the FP failures I read about are Reds. I rarely hear a failure on the Green. I think the HTA Green is probably the best turbo FP sells for the 8/9 IMO.

The BB stock frame turbos I would prefer personally, when and IF they come out that would be nice.

Stock Frame stuff is all we can pretty much use here in California and not have problems. You open your hood with some crazy headers and a nice Garrett Turbo there and well, your getting Ref'd and off it goes anyway. Its just a pain in the ***.

I am putting money away for a Turbo upgrade, but the OEM 9 turbo is quite good for street use. Ive been running 26-27psi on pump gas with my car for 40K miles. It makes 320awhp on the Mustang dyno with 91 **** gas here in CA and right at 400awhp on E85. Not too shabby for an OEM turbo IMO.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
It is rather odd that most of the FP failures I read about are Reds. I rarely hear a failure on the Green. I think the HTA Green is probably the best turbo FP sells for the 8/9 IMO.

The BB stock frame turbos I would prefer personally, when and IF they come out that would be nice.

Stock Frame stuff is all we can pretty much use here in California and not have problems. You open your hood with some crazy headers and a nice Garrett Turbo there and well, your getting Ref'd and off it goes anyway. Its just a pain in the ***.

I am putting money away for a Turbo upgrade, but the OEM 9 turbo is quite good for street use. Ive been running 26-27psi on pump gas with my car for 40K miles. It makes 320awhp on the Mustang dyno with 91 **** gas here in CA and right at 400awhp on E85. Not too shabby for an OEM turbo IMO.
This is because FP Reds and Blacks utilize different center sections which require the stricter oil recommendations. Thus you see more of the failures.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

wow another one.. i guess im lucky, i still have 64mm red runin 30psi for about 3 years now. used the wrong oil for 2 years and finally added their new oil line last summer.

Last edited by 03evo8gsr; Jan 23, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brainiac
I still think there's too much speculation to say one way or the other:
Touch down for ignorance.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:25 PM

How so Milford? You say yes there will be a BB and others say they spoke to FP and the answer is no...there's nothing ignorant about it, no one knows for sure. You don't have proof so try adding something of value rather than an insult.

You have no proof they will just like other people don't have proof they won't. Until FP says otherwise, why potentially spread false hope?

Much like Sanchez and the Jets you came up a little short...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
No no, which oil LINE were you using? Was it an FP oil line to the oil filter housing or the stock oil feed line to the cylinder head (which bolts on fine, but gives less steady oil pressure to the turbo).

To ssg_petty, why would you upgrade the turbo at all if you don't go WOT hardly ever? You'd get better performance just sticking with the fast spooling stock turbo. With the Red and other bigger turbos, the car will actually seems slower at low RPM, part throttle because it will be making less boost.
I understand that, I dont mean I wont ever track the car, or ever get on it. I just baby the car, but want the extra power. Im just not one of those guys who goes WOT everytime I sit in my recaro's lol. But I will enjoy the extra added power.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
There's probably 50 FP Reds sold for every one BBK. That's the main reason that you see failures on Reds and fewer of other brands mentioned. There's nothing unique about the BBK in terms of reliability.
Except for the fact you don't need a separate oil line or have stipulations on what oil can be used.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

With the intro of the HKS turbo and the natural evolution of technology.....I'd be very surprised if BB upgrades aren't next for most of the popular stock frame offerings.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:53 AM

Damm , That really sucks

Iam getting an Fp Green Soon , hope i don't have this problem

Iam currently using Mobil 10w-30 with stock IX turbo on 25psi , any recommendation of oil to use with the 1st gen green , i was thinking of using amsoil as i have found a direct supplier down here in PR
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ghost1t
Damm , That really sucks

Iam getting an Fp Green Soon , hope i don't have this problem

Iam currently using Mobil 10w-30 with stock IX turbo on 25psi , any recommendation of oil to use with the 1st gen green , i was thinking of using amsoil as i have found a direct supplier down here in PR
Only the Red and Black have to run specific Oil as the Green is a stock replacement with some work. The reds an blacks are stock frame with the internals of those of a 30r "Red" and 35r "Black" the thrust bearing are differant and thus need better oil lube properties with higher zink and Phosporus count.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
How so Milford? You say yes there will be a BB and others say they spoke to FP and the answer is no...there's nothing ignorant about it, no one knows for sure. You don't have proof so try adding something of value rather than an insult.

You have no proof they will just like other people don't have proof they won't. Until FP says otherwise, why potentially spread false hope?

Even if FP isn't researching/developing a BB CHRA for their turbos, you know that CBRD is...which means, it's only a matter of when (not if) FP will come out with a BB bolt-on turbo of their own.

Heck, if we're really lucky, FP will cast a larger turbine housing too while they're at it
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Listen Sanchez you are wrong. Just wait and see. There will 100% be a BB stock frame option. Just because the girl on the phone told YOU there wouldn't be, you believe it?..wow you must really think your something special huh?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
Even if FP isn't researching/developing a BB CHRA for their turbos, you know that CBRD is...which means, it's only a matter of when (not if) FP will come out with a BB bolt-on turbo of their own.

Heck, if we're really lucky, FP will cast a larger turbine housing too while they're at it
Now that would be awesome!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
Now that would be awesome!
You know a bunch of homers would jump all over a BB BBK-B, which I think flows like an FP Red. And, just so no one gets their panties in a bunch, I would be one of those homers

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jan 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by milford
Listen Sanchez you are wrong. Just wait and see. There will 100% be a BB stock frame option. Just because the girl on the phone told YOU there wouldn't be, you believe it?..wow you must really think your something special huh?
I think you should re-read what I posted; I didn't call, it was another member who called and stated that. I just posted what he said...

Personally, I think FP should put in a BB CHRA for the Red and Black but there's still no proof to say one way or the other.

100% sure huh? Only time will tell...

Quick Reply: Another FP Red bites the dust.