Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC 280 cams 0r.....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Here's the deal with cam that use. You want as much lift and as little duration as possible, unfortunately at 11.7mm 280+ is about as tight as it get's. As far as "dont use big cam on little turbo" theory, like it was stated, thats either old or downright wrong info. I have tried S2/S2 and S3/S2 combinations with a stock framed small turbo (full) and depending on cam timing there was no forfeit in torque, spool, or whatever. The original cams were a 5 year old set of gsc 264s with 70,000 miles on them, which had better spool than the old hks in the day. More interesting was when I had the s3 in the exhaust, with -2in and -2 ex the car had the fastes spool and hardest hitting torque it ever had. It would have broken parts eventually.

The only drawback using big cams (esp s3) is the idle with stock MAF, advancing the exhaust helps though.
Interesting S2 intake and S3 exhaust correct? I wonder why they dont sell this combo, I've thought about running a S3 exhaust cam and keeping my S2 intake.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ct9asilver
Interesting S2 intake and S3 exhaust correct? I wonder why they dont sell this combo, I've thought about running a S3 exhaust cam and keeping my S2 intake.
I went from HKS 272/272 to HKS 272/280 and picked up 15whp above 6k and didn't lose any spool. I think the mis match works out nicely. Or at least the combos I have seen... Doesn't necessarily mean they will all work.

Mikey
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i remember back in the day.

Mixing the 264/272/280 hks's were hott ****. all the OG's remember the topic's being BEAT to death on here..

oh and hks 280's were nono's on stock ecu

I was always under the impression that the more aggressive cam should be on the intake side though.. thought exhaust should be 80% of intake. This prolly is thrown out on the IX since you're advancing the intake and not the exhaust.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Alot is relative to what turbo you are using as well. The turbo has to be able to make up for what you lose in overlap. That being said here is a car on S3s idling at 1000, though it does like 1200 a little better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTOTgAhS-Q8

We tried this on a stock turbo IX and loss under 6800, but did pick up 33whp by 8k. Its always trade offs though so while you can do it, I recommend S3s (or equiv) for 2.4s and a Black and larger or a 2.0 and 3582HTA and larger. Also good luck on a MAF, SD is a requirement to have it work.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So at the end of it all the just get the S3?
Can this be used with the stock valves with upgraded GCS springs?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ecktt
So at the end of it all the just get the S3?
Can this be used with the stock valves with upgraded GCS springs?
If your car is capable of 500whp or more. I really think this car is overcammed still. It has a very broad powerband but for the most part it seems that S2s are good to around 600whp and then S3s are what the doctor ordered.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the input.

So can the S2 be used with the stock valves and upgraded GSC Power-Division Beehive springs?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Correct, S2s and either the full replacement spring and retainer or just the spring kit.

I am going to clarify my statement on "overcammed". I do not think it is hurting power, nor do I think that they very broad powerband hurts the driving experience. I think I could have done the same thing with S2s or very close on this particular car. When Cameron gets a V5 on the car it will be really easy to tell what the cams are doing. Most stock motor Evos that come in make about this power level on pump/meth (and a lot of meth) or E85. Most of them are doing it on a V5 though.

I think it idles better than a lot of S2 equipped VIIIs though for sure. I cant think of that broad a powerband and S2s really coming together in this combo either. If it wasnt a stock motor or it was a larger motor the cams really would come into their own. Since not just anyone seems to be able to make S3s work and the cars that really need them are going to be over 600whp anyway, I dont recommend them for everybody.

I really think you need an A plus tuner (Stock ECU, AEM, Motec, Haltech, etc.), some time, and a car that is going to make 600+whp as the ultimate goal. A 35R and larger is really what these are meant for, it just worked out that Cameron got some S3s on a Black and 2.0 instead of something like a 2.3 or 2.4 and a Black.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Correct, S2s and either the full replacement spring and retainer or just the spring kit.

I am going to clarify my statement on "overcammed". I do not think it is hurting power, nor do I think that they very broad powerband hurts the driving experience. I think I could have done the same thing with S2s or very close on this particular car. When Cameron gets a V5 on the car it will be really easy to tell what the cams are doing. Most stock motor Evos that come in make about this power level on pump/meth (and a lot of meth) or E85. Most of them are doing it on a V5 though.

I think it idles better than a lot of S2 equipped VIIIs though for sure. I cant think of that broad a powerband and S2s really coming together in this combo either. If it wasnt a stock motor or it was a larger motor the cams really would come into their own. Since not just anyone seems to be able to make S3s work and the cars that really need them are going to be over 600whp anyway, I dont recommend them for everybody.

I really think you need an A plus tuner (Stock ECU, AEM, Motec, Haltech, etc.), some time, and a car that is going to make 600+whp as the ultimate goal. A 35R and larger is really what these are meant for, it just worked out that Cameron got some S3s on a Black and 2.0 instead of something like a 2.3 or 2.4 and a Black.
How much bigger are these S3's compared to the old school HKS280s?
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by way2qik
How much bigger are these S3's compared to the old school HKS280s?
Night and day

10.5mm lift VS 11.7mm lift.

On a 2L 35R on low boost 20psi Revving very low rpms (gains would be much higher if revved out on a bigger displacement motor/turbo an/or more boost)

on the old 11.5mm grind the difference was 50whp