Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 272 cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
This is were you have to draw a line. 1) chose to keep the stock valve springs or 2) upgrade. The problem is, all the cams that work with stock valve springs are not made to make much more than 20-25whp over stock cams. Setup depending of course. Personally I think the S1s are much better than the HKS cams. Also the S1 and S2 spool the same but the S2s make about 25whp over the S1. The only problem is you need valve springs to run S2s. I recommend S2 w/ valve springs to everyone because you will never have to change your setup again. Those cams are good to 700+whp. The problem with S1s is, if you upgrade to a larger turbo in the future they will hold you back and you will have to get new cams. I don't know about you but I would rather buy one set and never have to worry about cams again

Mikey

* Edit - I wrote all that just for you just for you to say never mind?
I apologise, I felt that I should have done more research on this, but you did end up helping me out a lot more with this post.
All I have done now is wb255, full 3 inch exhaust, hard pipes, and a tune.
But for spring I was going to upgrade to 750 injectors, 10.5 turbo, cams?, and a new tune.
What would YOU think would be the best bet for a intake and exhaust cam.
I dont plan on going any higher then this. (my wife told me)
Only car I am going after is a LS1 vett that a mod on my local mitsu forum has.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwich
I apologise, I felt that I should have done more research on this, but you did end up helping me out a lot more with this post.
All I have done now is wb255, full 3 inch exhaust, hard pipes, and a tune.
But for spring I was going to upgrade to 750 injectors, 10.5 turbo, cams?, and a new tune.
What would YOU think would be the best bet for a intake and exhaust cam.
I dont plan on going any higher then this. (my wife told me)
Only car I am going after is a LS1 vett that a mod on my local mitsu forum has.
np. the only thing is I wouldn't do injectors smaller than 1000s. that will give you room to grow in case you do upgrade the turbo in the future. Also I would def get GSC S2 cams.

Mikey
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have these cams in my car and I'm happy with them, I when from 304whp/295wtq to
341whp/319wtq stock turbo (10.5) and bolt ons @ 23psi they are really good for a daily driver \
I'm goin to swap them for the new HKS 274/278 but that's because they came with my new turbo.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks everyone! I think after seeing this I'm just going to save up for a better set of cams for the future. I'd rather pay for a re-tune once and have a more solid set of cams in, rather than having to get multiple re-tunes if i changed my mind on the cams in the near future.
GSC's hopefully by spring

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jan 30, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03upstatefire
Thanks everyone! I think after seeing this I'm just going to save up for a better set of cams for the future. I'd rather pay for a re-tune once and have a more solid set of cams in, rather than having to get multiple re-tunes if i changed my mind on the cams in the near future.
GSC's hopefully by spring
Good choice buddy

Mikey
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correcto. OP I understand that HKS cams are cheap and a steal. But they are the second worst cam for your car. I had an HKS 272/280 combo and LOVED them. Idle was great, power was good, got to keep stock valvetrain so that's a plus and the list goes on. Until I got my new GSC cam and have the same added benefits of a cam twice the size and idle that's better... HKS are old design cams and are okay for 250.00. I have HKS cams in my room I'll sell for 50.00 just to get them out of my house.

Here is what a back to back did HKS to GSC cams. Same boost and timing!

Mikey
In this sheet your saying gsc cams picked up 100whp over hks with nothing changed besides the cams on the back to back runs? What size are the gsc's from this plot because if they are larger than the 272's its like comparing apples to oranges.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdordie
In this sheet your saying gsc cams picked up 100whp over hks with nothing changed besides the cams on the back to back runs? What size are the gsc's from this plot because if they are larger than the 272's its like comparing apples to oranges.
All you need to know is it is comparing ****ty cams to good cams. Nothing was changed; boost, timing, and AFR were the same! They actually made 150whp more at 8k and are 274s GSC FTW

Mikey

Last edited by BLKCarbonEVO; Jan 31, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

All you need to know is it is comparing ****ty cams to good cams. Nothing was changed; boost, timing, and AFR were the same! They actually made 150whp more at 8k and are 274s GSC FTW

Mikey
Well that just made up my mind REALLY quick.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Mikey,

Do you still have those $50 HKS cams that you want to get rid of?