Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS 272 cams

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HKS 272 cams

I've come across an opportunity to pick up a set of HKS272's for my evo8 for a BARGAIN.
However all I keep seeing all over forums is to go with either GSC and Kelford. Any advice on if this would be:
A. worth my while and not a waste of time and
B. if i would need to do any upgrades to my valve-train even though its not "required"?
Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

ur fine with stock valve train, hks 272 are good cams so get them.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by erald01
ur fine with stock valve train, hks 272 are good cams so get them.
Thanks, I'm going to go pick them up after the weekend in that case.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have them but will probably change to something different now since I have the FP black turbo now. Stock valvetrain is ok. I have had mine up to 8200 rpm at the drag strip only at the end for about 1-2 seconds.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:17 PM

Agreed, most of the hate I have read on them are around people who are Maximist (no, not gladiators) in that they only want a product that is 100% reliable, makes the most power, and costs the least (hint, these all don't normally exist in one product).

But a buddy of mine has them in his Evo8 and they perform well. He's at 325 to the wheels with other bolt ons and a conservative tune, and his care drives and idles like stock, minus a slight change in exhaust note.

Plus if you want to upgrade, you can always sell them, might even make money if you are getting them for a deal.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What is the asking price? Are the cams new or used?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Editted

Last edited by sparky; Jan 27, 2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
What is the asking price? Are the cams new or used?
The cams are used for 2000 miles according to the seller and needs money, got it down to 250 for intake and exhaust. Anything in particular I should look for when I examine the cams?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Look for worn lobes, discolorations, galling from dry starts, worn teeth, although I'm new to these motors but anything out of the ordinary really.

I have the same cams (from what I'm told from the prev owner) and everytime I list it on here I hear **** on how they suck and blah blah. They're staying for now but eventually I want to put in something with more potential, although mines like a daily driver so I want to do some research so I know what will make good power but be reliable
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the hks 272's in my car and I've been pretty happy with them thus far. The car is very smooth which is nice for driving it everyday. I'd probably pick up 30-40whp switching to kelfords or gsc's, but the trade off of driveability for more power just isn't worth it in a daily driver.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flymx771
I have the hks 272's in my car and I've been pretty happy with them thus far. The car is very smooth which is nice for driving it everyday. I'd probably pick up 30-40whp switching to kelfords or gsc's, but the trade off of driveability for more power just isn't worth it in a daily driver.
That's good news to hear considering this car is my daily. I'm sitting at 295hp/300tq on a dyno dynamics @ 24psi holding 21. I'm guessing with these cam's it would help the higher end of my rpm range pick up and maybe set me more in the 320hp range?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

As My03evo advises above: Look closely for even the slightest sign of wear whatsoever on the surface finish of the cam lobes. There should be no scratches or dull spots at all on the lobes.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
As My03evo advises above: Look closely for even the slightest sign of wear whatsoever on the surface finish of the cam lobes. There should be no scratches or dull spots at all on the lobes.
Correcto. OP I understand that HKS cams are cheap and a steal. But they are the second worst cam for your car. I had an HKS 272/280 combo and LOVED them. Idle was great, power was good, got to keep stock valvetrain so that's a plus and the list goes on. Until I got my new GSC cam and have the same added benefits of a cam twice the size and idle that's better... HKS are old design cams and are okay for 250.00. I have HKS cams in my room I'll sell for 50.00 just to get them out of my house.

Here is what a back to back did HKS to GSC cams. Same boost and timing!

Attachment 338718

Mikey
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:52 PM

This is an excellent topic.
edit: never mind!!

Last edited by Chadwich; Jan 29, 2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chadwich
This is an excellent topic.
I was going to buy some HKS cams next week, but I was wondering what cam was the best performance and best life span for a cam.
Everyone has there preference but what is the best on a stock valve train?
I wouldn't mind hand me downs if there in great shape, but to pass by all the problems I might as well just buy new.
This is were you have to draw a line. 1) chose to keep the stock valve springs or 2) upgrade. The problem is, all the cams that work with stock valve springs are not made to make much more than 20-25whp over stock cams. Setup depending of course. Personally I think the S1s are much better than the HKS cams. Also the S1 and S2 spool the same but the S2s make about 25whp over the S1. The only problem is you need valve springs to run S2s. I recommend S2 w/ valve springs to everyone because you will never have to change your setup again. Those cams are good to 700+whp. The problem with S1s is, if you upgrade to a larger turbo in the future they will hold you back and you will have to get new cams. I don't know about you but I would rather buy one set and never have to worry about cams again

Mikey

* Edit - I wrote all that just for you just for you to say never mind?

Quick Reply: HKS 272 cams