Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

84mm FP Compessor Cover?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 84mm FP Compessor Cover?

Well I got my FP Red a few years ago, and it's been good. It currently has the stock appearing compressor cover 64mm. I have been doing tons of research and searching plus bs'ing with other evo guys. I'm wondering if i should get the 84mm cover and 84mm intake...i know surging and huffing are somewhat alleviated with the 84mm cover and a little help in the spool up department. I run the current cover with 32 psi spike and falls to 26-27 psi with e85.

It's about $320 or so for both items....installed by me so no labor $$$

I can usually make my own decisions on mods to my car....but a little stumped on this one..... any opinions or help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Well I got my FP Red a few years ago, and it's been good. It currently has the stock appearing compressor cover 64mm. I have been doing tons of research and searching plus bs'ing with other evo guys. I'm wondering if i should get the 84mm cover and 84mm intake...i know surging and huffing are somewhat alleviated with the 84mm cover and a little help in the spool up department. I run the current cover with 32 psi spike and falls to 26-27 psi with e85.

It's about $320 or so for both items....installed by me so no labor $$$

I can usually make my own decisions on mods to my car....but a little stumped on this one..... any opinions or help would be appreciated.

Get it it really helps with the surge and spool up sounds awesome like a fighter jet!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah the sounds of spooling is great....anymore guys?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

the spool up sound turns me on everytime! Wait till you get a black!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to clear a few things up. The 84mm cover will not increase spool. Its sole purpose is to reduce compressor surge. (if your red is surging pretty bad than it will help spool a bit but that would be the only way it would help spool) The 64mm Reds have been known to have compressor surge however, there are a number of us that never had problems, but it also has a lot to do with your driving style. The 84mm cover makes the turbo sound like a fighter jet. That is my favorite things about it. Also don't do an 84mm intake. If you do a 84mm cover go straight to a 4" intake with a 9" K&N filter. You will have to get one custom made. I'm almost positive Michael at ETS or Aaron at ER can make one for you and ship it out to you in a timely fashion. btw the snap ring holding the cover on it s BATCH to get off!!!

Mikey
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
Also don't do an 84mm intake. If you do a 84mm cover go straight to a 4" intake with a 9" K&N filter. You will have to get one custom made. I'm almost positive Michael at ETS or Aaron at ER can make one for you and ship it out to you in a timely fashion. btw the snap ring holding the cover on it s BATCH to get off!!!

Mikey
So does fp intake collapse or something? Or is this cause SD
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So does fp intake collapse or something? Or is this cause SD
There is nothing wrong with the FP pipe. It is for SD however. I just like the custom 4" intake better. It makes a good 10+whp more than the FP sshhh... don't tell Robert I said that...

Mikey
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Little update!!
Got a 84mm cover super cheap from Lucas @ Carz Performance! Few hours later got the turbo back....buddy came thru with a FP 84mm intake pipe with the recirculation port. Did some slight adjustments with uicp and new intake to look pretty, and went for a test drive. First off it sounds sweet "knew that before hand".... the butt dyno likes it but that's usually full of crap...lol. I hope to get on the dyno soon to see if any improvement was made. All in all for what I paid im very happy.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I had just gotten off the phone with FP yesterday after purchasing my FP RED. They had stated that the 84MM intake will add 20-30 WHP (With tuning of course) over the stock size inlet. I believe him.
Old May 8, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

I just ordered one of these for my stock 9 turbo... hopefully it will do something useful

Last edited by Silvermike; May 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM.