Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Reflective Gold Heat Barrier Foil

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reflective Gold Heat Barrier Foil

So i am going to be placing a order for some Reflective Gold Heat Barrier Foil and i was contemplating re-lining my hood liner with the foil. Do you guys think it will help with under hood temps?

here is a example picture.... i know its not a evo
Attached Thumbnails Reflective Gold Heat Barrier Foil-mclaren-f1-engine-compartment.jpg  
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
i remember reading a thread somewhere about the silver stuff, much much lower price and 1% less effective... it was so long ago now
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The foil on that car is to keep the exhaust from melting the Hood.

All your going to do with your hood is keep the Hood from getting hot. But it would be more pleasing to the eye.

Try the Foil on something you dont want to get hot...front side of valve cover or Upper Intercooler Pipe... My fav...Cam Sensor from evil Tubular manifolds.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So if I understand you correctly, you want to put a heat shield/barrier between your engine and the rest of the world? Why would you want to reflect heat back down into the engine bay?
I can understand wrapping the upper intercooler piping or lining the side of the valve cover, but why the hood?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M4Lki3r
So if I understand you correctly, you want to put a heat shield/barrier between your engine and the rest of the world? Why would you want to reflect heat back down into the engine bay?
I can understand wrapping the upper intercooler piping or lining the side of the valve cover, but why the hood?
My thought was that I would re-wrap the hood liner, because I just ordered a dry carbon hood and I was worried about messing up my $1300 hood with my manifold and WG. i was also going to put some on the valve cover.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well that car has four bullet mufflers inches from the hood where as you have a large vent. Sounds to me like you will be alright do what makes you feel comfortable. I wanted to cover a cold air box with this stuff but was told not to waste my time and money.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoballer
My thought was that I would re-wrap the hood liner, because I just ordered a dry carbon hood and I was worried about messing up my $1300 hood with my manifold and WG. i was also going to put some on the valve cover.
Now your post makes sense, you didnt mention that you were going to be wrapping a CF hood in the original post... If you got the coin for it do it it might have some benefit helping save the hood but with CF hoods the top is usually of most concern not the bottom unless you like the bling factor because it will keep the temps higher in the bay
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My HKS Kansai cf hood is standing up to the heat pretty well with no heat shielding underneath. IndyEvo had a few posts on here about the wrap and everyone seemed to suggest the Silver over the Gold.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The silver foil is substantially MORE reflective than the gold -- something like 96% reflective for silver vs. 7x% for gold.

Look for the thread by IndyEvo for technical details.

Earls Fittings in Indianapolis sells the silver by the foot. It's about $24.00 per foot (15 inches wide) last time I bought some.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

I think I will be covering some parts of the hood as well as the liner, like the evo in this picture. i will look in to the silver foil. if any one has any pics of there cars wrapped with the silver foil please post.
Attached Thumbnails Reflective Gold Heat Barrier Foil-66160013.jpg  
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Overkillllllll....