Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BBK Full compressor surge at only 27 psi?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rich,

are you running an o2 dump or standard gate?

also- what are you running for boost correction?

we have only seen creep on one car that had an o2 dump where when the flapper opened the inlet to the dump side was actually being blocked by the flapper and not allowing the WG gases to exit properly... we put a megan o2 housing back on.. and it went back to normal!

cb
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
Rich,

are you running an o2 dump or standard gate?

also- what are you running for boost correction?

we have only seen creep on one car that had an o2 dump where when the flapper opened the inlet to the dump side was actually being blocked by the flapper and not allowing the WG gases to exit properly... we put a megan o2 housing back on.. and it went back to normal!

cb
I'm running a Helix (ebay style) recirc'd O2 housing. For boost correction, I'm using a 3-port with tephra v7. In 4th gear, I set WGDC at 0% up top and it still hits 26 psi above 6000 or so. I really think it's just the O2 housing needing a little porting.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm running a Helix (ebay style) recirc'd O2 housing. For boost correction, I'm using a 3-port with tephra v7. In 4th gear, I set WGDC at 0% up top and it still hits 26 psi above 6000 or so. I really think it's just the O2 housing needing a little porting.
yeah thats a new one for me!

cb
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm going to be pulling it off anyhow to try out the FP compressor housing and see if it allows me to spool the turbo faster without surge. I figure it's a cheap experiment for $75 shipped and I need to do something about the O2 housing anyway.
Blasphemous I know, but only $75 shipped plus a $12 set of pliers (I already have an intake for it from my old Black). Turbo goes back on tomorrow and I hope to give it a whirl next weekend.

Incidentally, I can understand why CBRD voids the turbo warranty when you install this cover. There's obviously lots that can get messed up when you take the turbo apart, and that snap ring that holds the compressor housing on is quite a chore to mess with (though less so for me thanks to my kind wife giving me a hand with reinstalling it).

Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^Nice...looking forward to results!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm...On throttle surge eh?

I just spent 8 months developing a new gizmo that can deal with that (even below WG crack) and lot's more....

Have a look?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...roduction.html
Old Feb 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoah, blasphomy!! Hopefully this helps man, I never ran into surge on mine but awesome to hear the initial comments on responsiveness vs the red & black. BBK truely is my favorite turbo for the 8/9
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Buttoned up the reinstall of the turbo with the new cover and took it for a spin. No surge. Even upping the WGDC and spiking it to 30 psi with it hitting upper 20s below 4000 rpm, still no compressor surge. I call that $75 well spent!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:16 AM

buy the comp housing from FP. LOL looks like CBRD still needs help from FP (dont mean that in a bad way)
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

How does it fit with the cover, the water lines and all?

Is the outlet diameter the same?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
How does it fit with the cover, the water lines and all?

Is the outlet diameter the same?
It fits just like on an FP turbo. One of the water lines doesn't have the usual mounting point and the outlet is 80mm, just like a Black.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

My bbk full failed... because of surge according to me... did less that 2000 miles...
The problem is also CBRD (Chad) get his turbos from Blouch...

Blouch said it over speeded.

I did boost it 2bar 29 psi... at 4500 feet altitude... it equals around 31 psi
Blouch said that the turbo over sped due to leaks in the pressure system.... funny they can make that claim without seeing a leak them self... I tested it and found no leaks.
The boost pipe on the intercooler did jump off a couple of times in a duration of 2 days. if its is the case... big if... I never would have thought a turbo is that fragile.

" What is compressor surge?
The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map (known as the surge line), is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side.
Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself."
From Garret website:

Chad did try his best... but he does not build the BBK and is pending on blouch for support. Its also been months and no official report from blouch...and that is a bit low key if you ask me. Blouch also said the turbo is scrap and cant be repaired.
Then when I asked the turbo to be shipped to FP, they refused at first.
Long story short... Chad did get it shipped.

I got the turbo shipped to FP which said they can make it into a green HTA.
FP FTW! And I will support Chad again on getting some other products... but I will pass on the BBK's... in future.

Originally Posted by YMCMB
buy the comp housing from FP. LOL looks like CBRD still needs help from FP (dont mean that in a bad way)

Last edited by acssa; Mar 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 02:56 PM

^^^your bbk blew up within 2000 miles?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 02:56 PM

are the any results yet on the bigger BBK?

Quick Reply: BBK Full compressor surge at only 27 psi?