Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BBK Full compressor surge at only 27 psi?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YMCMB
^^^your bbk blew up within 2000 miles?
Well... cant say it blew up.... I was hearing a sound coming from the engine like a dog thats howling, removed the intake pipe and the compressor wheel was catching the housing. I will post some pictures later, maybe in a nother thread... dont want to over stay my welcome in another persons thread.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by acssa
Well... cant say it blew up.... I was hearing a sound coming from the engine like a dog thats howling, removed the intake pipe and the compressor wheel was catching the housing. I will post some pictures later, maybe in a nother thread... dont want to over stay my welcome in another persons thread.
That same thing happened to my FP Red with around 4k miles on it...I ended up paying $500+ for a rebuild and then I sold it right away...After that I decided to not buy another FP stock frame turbo...I went with the BBK Full since the BBK-B wasn't out yet...I really enjoyed my BBK Full, had no issues with it but decided to sell it for some more power with the BBK-B...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
That same thing happened to my FP Red with around 4k miles on it...I ended up paying $500+ for a rebuild and then I sold it right away...After that I decided to not buy another FP stock frame turbo...I went with the BBK Full since the BBK-B wasn't out yet...I really enjoyed my BBK Full, had no issues with it but decided to sell it for some more power with the BBK-B...
Did your boost pipes come of under boost? Did you have a boost leak?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Did your boost pipes come of under boost? Did you have a boost leak?
No intercooler piping came off...I think I did have 1 boost leak...I was only running 25psi...That shouldn't kill a turbo in 4k miles...

Most of those 4k miles were highway...from NC up to NJ...I took the car to the track (1/4 mile) twice...10 runs total...that shouldn't have killed the turbo...

Last edited by 06MREvo; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

My bbk full failed... because of surge according to me... did less that 2000 miles...
The problem is also CBRD (Chad) get his turbos from Blouch...

Blouch said it over speeded.

The boost pipe on the intercooler did jump off a couple of times in a duration of 2 days.

Chad did try his best... but he does not build the BBK and is pending on blouch for support. Its also been months and no official report from blouch...and that is a bit low key if you ask me. Blouch also said the turbo is scrap and cant be repaired.

Then when I asked the turbo to be shipped to FP, they refused at first.
Long story short... Chad did get it shipped.

I got the turbo shipped to FP which said they can make it into a green HTA.
FP FTW! And I will support Chad again on getting some other products... but I will pass on the BBK's... in future.
Where did you get that Blouch makes CBRD's turbo's? I have never heard this before.

Running a turbo with boost leaks for a prolonged amount of time is bad for turbos, it makes them work harder than they need to. it can certainly kill them after time. You popped the IC pipes off multiple times, but claim you never found even one boost leak? I find that hard to believe.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goodhart
Where did you get that Blouch makes CBRD's turbo's? I have never heard this before.
This is posted multiple times throughout EvoM, in BBK related threads...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shipped my turbo to Blouch directly.. it shipped back to me from Blouch.. kind of hard to say its not from Blouch lol..
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok,

Not to start up a bad thread- but!

You admitted to us that your pipes blew off multiple times-

That means you had a boost leak... they leak.. then blow off... that is overspeed which can kill the turbo!

plain and simple!

I DO appreciate your support of our company- BUT we discussed various times your car blowing pipes-

Failures show themselves in different ways- whether it be bearing wear, compressor wear, etc etc...

back on track please!

cb

Last edited by CBRD; Mar 9, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:15 PM
Account Disabled

Blouch 100% builds our turbos, that is no secret-

but the aero and such on the EVO wheels is specific to CBRD and exclusive to CBRD-

we do all of the testing, evaluation, installations, tuning, etc on the turbos throughout development...

we even do testing on their non EVO specific stuff (such as subaru, and others like we are on the dyno with right now)

Blouch and CBRD are less than an hour apart- which makes for a fantastic working environment... if we have an issue, there are here to help us analyze it

Cheers

cb
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Good to know, didn't make that post to get anyone's panties in a bunch, was just curious is all.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

Good to know, didn't make that post to get anyone's panties in a bunch, was just curious is all.
its ok, I dont wear any undies LOL

jk

no worries

cb
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, I will not support then...

A hose that jumps of does not indicate a leak!

(ever shaken a bottle of sparkling wine with the securing wire top undone?
pressure build up push the cork out... etc.)

EG... if you have movement on the engine under load it pulls on the IC pipes.

I ran a AMS intercooler at first on the BBK full and changed to a Hyperflow cause the IAT seemed hi on the AMS and I wanted to try a bigger IC.
After the IC install the pipes came of over a period of 2 days... a couple of times... and that you claim killed the turbo.

Hyperflow also said that they have never seen a turbo overspeed and fail on a pipe coming off.

What ever your opinion is, I have seen some turbos fail and some not... And BBK ones fail... aswell, and I am not the only one or first. Its how you deal with it...

The problem is that it took a long time to get answers and nothing official... in writing. Zip Zero.

lets keep this factual... and based on experience... nothing more or nothing less.

Originally Posted by CBRD
Ok,

Not to start up a bad thread- but!

You admitted to us that your pipes blew off multiple times-

That means you had a boost leak... they leak.. then blow off... that is overspeed which can kill the turbo!

plain and simple!

I DO appreciate your support of our company- BUT we discussed various times your car blowing pipes-

Failures show themselves in different ways- whether it be bearing wear, compressor wear, etc etc...

back on track please!

cb
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Running a turbo with boost leaks for a prolonged amount of time is bad for turbos, it makes them work harder than they need to. it can certainly kill them after time.
Guys, unfortunately this is not true. Boost leaks will not overspin a turbo. We've done testing with speed sensors to verify this. In fact, the future of control strategies may incorporate this. In fact, less so on turbos oversized for the engine. Maybe 2,000 RPM more? Peanuts at 180,000 RPM.

On the other hand, boost-leaks do produce a massive drop in horsepower and overall engine efficiency that may lead to detonation and engine failure (I can't fully elaborate at this time).

Last edited by Synapse; Mar 9, 2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Synapse
Guys, unfortunately this is not true. Boost leaks will not overspin a turbo. We've done testing with speed sensors to verify this. In fact, the future of control strategies may incorporate this. In fact, less so on turbos oversized for the engine. Maybe 2,000 RPM more? Peanuts at 180,000 RPM.

On the other hand, boost-leaks do produce a massive drop in horsepower and overall engine efficiency that may lead to detonation and engine failure (I can't fully elaborate at this time).
Is this true? The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur.In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself."

" What is compressor surge?
The surge region, located on the left-hand side of the compressor map (known as the surge line), is an area of flow instability typically caused by compressor inducer stall. The turbo should be sized so that the engine does not operate in the surge range. When turbochargers operate in surge for long periods of time, bearing failures may occur. When referencing a compressor map, the surge line is the line bordering the islands on their far left side.
Compressor surge is when the air pressure after the compressor is actually higher than what the compressor itself can physically maintain. This condition causes the airflow in the compressor wheel to back up, build pressure, and sometimes stall. In cases of extreme surge, the thrust bearings of the turbo can be destroyed, and will sometimes even lead to mechanical failure of the compressor wheel itself."
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
its ok, I dont wear any undies LOL

jk

no worries

cb
Liar! haha...

Quick Reply: BBK Full compressor surge at only 27 psi?