Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Balance Shafts or No Balance Shafts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. I have heard of complete engine failures from using the shaft without the groove. It can wear, which will cause you to lose oil pressure.

Unfortunately, my engine has one in it. So I keep tabs on my oil pressure at all times.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DrMerl
I've seen threads on this before and I have to ask...if they are such power robbers and hamper oil pressure, WHY did Mitsu put them there in the first place?

Could those of you in the know that are going to such a "radical" (you're removing an integral part of the engine) procedure come forth and put in the PROs and CONs of this?

My monkey sense tells me that they are there to protect the engine for longevity's sake, things that spin more smoothly tend to stay spinning for a longer time.

I can see from Evo 4 that he's going pretty dramatic with forged goodies and I would assume he's having everything blue printed and balanced, including crank - is this procedure for track based (read - non daily driven) Evos?

My concern is with the vibrations. I have heard that with these removed there is a vibration at 4200 RPM and 7000 RPM. Vibrations can also cause further engine problems.
I would like to hear from anyone that has these removed on a Evo 4 or newer engine.

I am after a quick road / track car not trying to build an engine that lasts for 11 secs for the 1/4 mile.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

The engine will sound a little more buzzy. That is it. There is no harmful side-affect from removing the balance shafts. In fact, Mitsu sold some of these engines without balance shafts.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:35 PM
Account Disabled

Exactly as Josh stated. the factory balance shaft removal kit is very nice, and of course, fits perfectly.

I did this to my GVR4, and every DSM we have done a motor for gets it as well..nothing but upside.

The only purpose these serve from the factory is a bit smoother operating and a bit less noise....do a 3 inch exhaust on the car, and the noise issue becomes moot, and I personally have not noticed much more vibration post removal.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
Yes. I have heard of complete engine failures from using the shaft without the groove. It can wear, which will cause you to lose oil pressure.

Unfortunately, my engine has one in it. So I keep tabs on my oil pressure at all times.
Yikes... Maybe I will just get the shaft alone... or I have seen where people just cut the balance shaft and use the end piece.. what do you think of that?
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

If you do that, you need to make sure you weld the oiling hole in the balance shaft shut. The bearings for that shaft get their oil from the balance shaft itself, not the block.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
If you do that, you need to make sure you weld the oiling hole in the balance shaft shut. The bearings for that shaft get their oil from the balance shaft itself, not the block.
Okay, thanks for the info.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

I always do mine, and I have never actually noticed more vibration(on top of 3 inch catless exhaust). I also haven't actually noticed more power either. In fact, I ran back to back and didn't get any gains after doing it, My 1/4 miles were VERY similair with no blanace shafts being about 1/2 a mph faster, but I had also done some more weight reduction.

Its good to do, but NOT worth going out of your way to do it.