Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: which flywheel?
Stock
69.23%
ACT Streetlite
23.08%
ACT Prolite
7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

is flywheel necessary??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
is flywheel necessary??

I got my ACT clutch kit, going to install soon, but I didn't get a flywheel

Now I'm having second thouhgts, should I buy a flywheel? (streetlite or prolite)

I'm I fine with the stock one?

What are the pro's and con's of replacing the flywheel?

I don't want to spend more, But If I have to, I'll buy it

Thanks for the reply's

Last edited by audiofan; Feb 7, 2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go with aftermarket, stick with chromoly, similar to stock but a little lighter. don't go with aluminum or 2 piece. I have the Exedy lightweight, it's like 2 pounds lighter than stock but still strong. remember, that's a really important area and you don't want to compromise.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1, if it's a street car, you want all the strength you can get.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by audiofan

I don't want to spend more, But If I have to, I'll buy it

Thanks for the reply's

You don't have to. Resurfacing and reusing the stock flywheel is fine.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:00 PM

Damn I had the same ? What should I do them?many places don't re surface you stock fly wheel
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:02 AM

I went with the act streetlite when I bought my act 2600.

I mean the lighter flywheel will help your car rev up a bit sooner, as will shaving rotating weight off of anything.

Also it depends on what you wanna spend, you could probably just get yours resurfaced like others said and be fine.

Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

I went ahead and got the prolite w/ my act clutch, but resurfacing your stock one will do just fine. I bought the flywheel used off a member here for $100 and had it resurfaced... you just have to find the right shop.

Only thing I noticed was quicker revs and you'll need to give it a little more gas on hills. No regrets here.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The differences in the two act flywheels are weight. The prolite I think is lighter than the streetlite if im correct. Im running a street light in my honda. U need to have a plan for your car when considering these. If u r going to use the car for drag racing u would be better off with the street lite. Its lighter than stock which means ur turbo will spool faster engine will be more rev happy etc. The pro lite which is even lighter is great for auto cross and such since it is lighter it will rev even faster thus spooling the tubo faster at lower rpm. U want the heavier fly wheel for drag because it keeps inertia up and the rpms don't drop as fast. Its all a matter of what direction u wanna take with your car. Hope that helps. So in reality u shouldn ask which is better u need to ask urself which would benefit more by the design
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Aproductions
I went with the act streetlite when I bought my act 2600.

I mean the lighter flywheel will help your car rev up a bit sooner, as will shaving rotating weight off of anything.

Also it depends on what you wanna spend, you could probably just get yours resurfaced like others said and be fine.

I agree with this....I could of resurfaced mine and I really didn't have the money but when in Rome!!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jesus29
Damn I had the same ? What should I do them?many places don't re surface you stock fly wheel
if you have a NAPA around you they resurface. I ended up going with the act streetlite (dont know how it performs cars not back yet from the shop). I ended up changing the flywheel only because mine was resurfaced already and my 6 puck got worn out and the rivets started scratching the flywheel and it would me too shaving off to reuse it