Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Octane Boosters

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Octane Boosters

Well, with 94 being eliminated in NY, instead of getting reflashed for 93, Ive decided to run octane booster, and in cases where I can get race gas, well...race gas. lol

Ive tried an octane booster by Jetgo, and I must say, that was so far the best octane booster Ive used in terms of gas mileage. I was getting nearly 60 more miles to the tank easily. But that was the only time I used it since locally, I havent been able to find it.

So I have been using the yellow bottle of Turbo 108, and it seems like the car runs smooth, but on my last tank, the gas mileage was horrible. I just bought a bottle of NOS racing octane booster, and Ill see how that goes once I go to fill up.

I saw the OUTLAW octane booster, which either comes in the superconcentrated formula, or a package of 4 canisters that are 3.5 oz. It says that the canisters are concentrated enough that only one canister is needed, but Im skeptical.

I do realize that this isnt good for my cat, or 02 sensors, but I dont go overkill with these octane boosters. Just alittle mix with 93 to get the octane up a bit since my car is tuned for 94 gas.

So what are other experiences, etc etc.

TIA

Ken
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

I find it hard to believe that a 3.5 oz bottle of anything could raise the octane a point.
Toluene is 114 octane and Zylene is 117 octane.
If you do the math, it takes one gallon (128 oz) of Toluene to raise the octane to 94.5.
(13 gals of 93 = 1209 octane; 1 Gal of 114 =114 (1209+114=1323); 1323/14(gals)=94.5 octane
Those bottles of octane boost are B.S.!
That octane booster would have to be 4169 octane!!!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

I've tried alot of the octane boosters out there. From my experience that Outlaw crap is crap. I started with 1 bottle, then 2, then 3... What a joke! I would have done better with some magic beans. I've also tried the NOS booster too and didn't get much results with that either. I did like the 104+ (black). I could definitely tell the difference with that. But I'm not sure how the long term usage affects the vehicle so I stopped. If there are any rocket scientists out there with your ears on, could you enlighten me?

Hey at least you can get 93oct. I'm stuck with 91 Feel my pain.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

I would think using Toluene/Xylene would work best. I might need to start doing this soon too. Might move to Maryland, where they don't sell 93 on all the pumps.

Last edited by rebelzx; Dec 11, 2003 at 06:49 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:43 PM

i've been researching the "octane booster" too and toluene keeps coming up as the best bet. people say you can get it at the home depot for like $3/gallon. so, what do you guys think, a gallon of toluene per tank or is that too much? anybody heard from the rockert scientist yet? my problem here in southern ohio is that when buy 93 or 94 octane you usually aren't getting it. there is noticeable differences from fill up to fill up. any one else have this problem?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:27 PM

used xylene many a times in my avenger. good stuff
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:51 PM

When an octane booster says it raises octane "one point," that means .1 NOT 1 whole octane rating. That'd be 10 "points."
Old Dec 11, 2003, 09:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by glacius
used xylene many a times in my avenger. good stuff
Damn good stuff... search the Evolution forums for (xylene) charts and sites for mixing results and resulting octane etc...
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

theres a unocal by me that sells 100 for 4.99 a gallon... 1/2tank with 91 1/2 tank with 100 averages 95.5...what a difference, in the pocketbook as well as the car....65 dollars to fill up.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Ooops already posted. Deleted
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by WILDMAN
[

Hey at least you can get 93oct. I'm stuck with 91 Feel my pain. [/B]

Ya I feel your pain bro Im putting in 5 gallons of 76's cool blue 100 octane in my car every fill up and at $4.99 a gallon its not cheap
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Im def going to try the Toluene, and Xylene.

FWIW, I tried the NOS "race" Octane booster, and the car feels really smooth.

Ken
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:16 AM

I think the idea that higher octane gives you better power is BS. Unless you are tuning for the higher octane, or unless you were having knock sensor limiting prior to octane boost...the higher octane is just costing more. I used to think higher octane meant more explosive fuel. Then I did some reading and found out it is the opposite. Higher octane resists detonation and thus prevents knock at high pressures and temps. So if you are running higher boost, you need higher octane...or leaner, or hotter cylinder temps. Damn, I can't find my document that I downloaded about a year ago when I was trying to learn about all of this stuff. This is what I recall: There was no reason to buy higher octane fuel unless I was going to be pushing toward detonation. If the car is stock, it's tuned for 91 (?) octane and higher octane just spends more money on exactly the same amount of fuel. I have a degree in chemistry (bachelor's) so my reading wasn't totally ignorant...but I'm no hydrocarbon fuel expert and I only know what I know about tuning from reading the forums in here.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:23 AM

Ok. Not the stuff I read a year ago (which was government documents) but states the same stuff, generally:

"There is ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT to using a higher octane than your engine needs. The only benefit is increased profits to the oil companies that have cleverly convinced some of the public that their new "Super-Duper, Premium-High-Test, Clean-Burning, Used-By-Famous-Racing-Types-All-Around-The-World, Extra-Detergent-Laden-Keep-Your-Pipes-Clean, Extra-High-Octane" fuel is your engines’ best friend. The swami is telling you the truth, don’t listen to that talking cartoon car.

The swami hears people insisting that they got better mileage, better acceleration, and less dental plaque by switching to a high-octane fuel. The swami reminds these people that in every pharmacy is a special miracle pill that is often prescribed by doctors, it works wonders because people believe that it works wonders; it’s called a "placebo". The swami warns: never confuse faith with physics!"

This comes from:
http://www.bajajusa.com/Who%20Needs%...ane%20Fuel.htm
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:55 AM

wow 4.99 a gallon for 100, Im getting 110 for $4 a gallon, and 95 for 1.53 a gallon.

Quick Reply: Octane Boosters