Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Ethanol Analyser for Closed Loop Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
Best Ethanol Analyser for Closed Loop Feedback?

Hello,

My tuner has fallen in love with E85 (about time!) and he's after an Ethanol Analyser to run on a 4D map for fuelling with the Link Ecu (www.linkecu.com).

This will allow for any mixture of ethanol(E85) to pump fuel(RON98) to be used without the need to purge the fuel tank when swapping between fuels.
It means that a RON98 map with an E85 Map can be tuned, overlayed and forgotten.

Here is one product that i know of:

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

Does anyone else have products that they recommend or have heard of that is good?

Cheesr, Mike
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
Hello,

My tuner has fallen in love with E85 (about time!) and he's after an Ethanol Analyser to run on a 4D map for fuelling with the Link Ecu (www.linkecu.com).

This will allow for any mixture of ethanol(E85) to pump fuel(RON98) to be used without the need to purge the fuel tank when swapping between fuels.
It means that a RON98 map with an E85 Map can be tuned, overlayed and forgotten.

Here is one product that i know of:

http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

Does anyone else have products that they recommend or have heard of that is good?

Cheesr, Mike
I can't comment on other sensors, but that's the one I've been using for about a year on mine and so far so good!
Old Feb 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can get used ones off ebay... that sensor is the same as AC Delco#12570260 or 12568450, Airtex #5S6293, Standard Motor Products #FFS1
Old Feb 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Liqquid
I can't comment on other sensors, but that's the one I've been using for about a year on mine and so far so good!
do you have your full fuel flow going through the sensor?
Or just a sample of it?

I'm just worried about the 200lph Maximum fuel flow.

You can get used ones off ebay... that sensor is the same as AC Delco#12570260 or 12568450, Airtex #5S6293, Standard Motor Products #FFS1
good info, thanks
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you say "fuel return line"?

Sensor by itself won't make ECU happy. You need Zeitronix ECA and the flex fuel sensor.

Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
It would be really interesting to find out the required input/associated output with one of those sensors. Then it could be as easy as setting up another input to the ECU and making a table to correlate sensor output to injector scaling.

Though I guess that doesn't do anything to help boost level, timing/fuel maps, cold start up (if you have that modified for winter use on E' ). We could use it though to modify our scaling based on various % of ethanol since it's known to be fairly inconsistent.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
do you have your full fuel flow going through the sensor?
Or just a sample of it?
I'm just worried about the 200lph Maximum fuel flow.
good info, thanks

Originally Posted by Zeitronix
Can you say "fuel return line"?
Correct, it is plumbed into the return line, after the fuel pressure regulator. I also have two friends who have these sensors installed in the return line without problems.. one is stock regulator and single Walbro, the other has a more elaborate setup with aftermarket fuel lines I believe. Perhaps one of them will chime in with more info on their setup

Last edited by Liqquid; Feb 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Dallas J
It would be really interesting to find out the required input/associated output with one of those sensors. Then it could be as easy as setting up another input to the ECU and making a table to correlate sensor output to injector scaling.

Though I guess that doesn't do anything to help boost level, timing/fuel maps, cold start up (if you have that modified for winter use on E' ). We could use it though to modify our scaling based on various % of ethanol since it's known to be fairly inconsistent.
The Link ECU is very very powerful, it can add overlays for fuel, timing, boost without any problems.
If it isn't available, then you just have to speak to the engineers and they will put it in for you

Zeitronix, can you please explain why you also need the display? (i realise that it outputs the 0-5v ethanol content and temperature).
Why couldn't we just use the sensor to output directly into the ecu?

Cheers, Mike
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dallas J

Here's how the sensor works:

http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

Zeitronix, can you please explain why you also need the display? (i realise that it outputs the 0-5v ethanol content and temperature).
It outputs a square wave, not a 0-5v linear signal.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Ahh, good info.

Frequency change depending on ethanol content, and pulse width change depending on fuel temperature.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Cheers, Mike
Zeitronix ECA takes flex fuel sensor output F and changes to 0-5V ECU can understand giving you at the same time a visual read out you so you can check E% after a fill up.
Old May 6, 2011, 06:03 AM

my tuner belives that it can be hooked directly into a haltech ecu from the sensor...

and is getting voltage readings...based on those readings hes going to tune for the variations? will this not work?? does the output voltage extrapolate to content mixture?

can u piggy back off the zentronix screen to the ecu?
Old May 6, 2011, 01:28 PM
EvoM Guru

The Flex Fuel sensor can be hooked directly into my ECU, the Link G4.
The sensor outputs a square wave. The frequency of the square wave is proportional to the ethanol % content, and the pulse width is the fuel temperature.

I'm not sure about the Haltech sorry. I wouldn't hesitate calling them directly and asking an engineer though.
Old May 6, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So basically the guy is wanting a true flex fuel, with the ecu adjusting for ethanol content. That has been in the works with tephra, but not sure how far he has got so far. I haven't heard of any other tuning solution that can do it yet.
Old May 6, 2011, 02:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Well now you have

Link G4

http://www.linkecu.com/products/engi...ecus/g4-xtreme

Quick Reply: Best Ethanol Analyser for Closed Loop Feedback?