Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What is wrong with my new Evo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it do any of this before you put on the TT and gauge? You might have got something wrong during the install. Put it back exactly stock and check. If it works normally, then its your mods. If it still acts up you can take it back to the dealer.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

when you say...

Originally posted by tlclee
Maybe I set my peak boost too low or the boost warning too high.
are you saying that you are modifying the stock boost curve? ie...upping the boost a little?

If yes, I think you found your problem.

SC~
Old Dec 12, 2003, 09:55 AM

Sounds to me like a fuel cut issue. This will occur when the ecu sees an airflow signal it considers to be an overboost. The bucking you feel is the ecu shutting off the fuel and spark simultaneously to bring the vehicle's boost within what it considers to be safe limits. Depending on where you sourced the boost signal for your meter, you may have inadvertently affected the boost signal going to your wastegate actuator thereby raising the boost. With the ambient temperatures getting colder (at least in our location), the likelyhood of fuel cut at higher boost levels increases. Also important to double check all connections and your intercooler for leaks, as any leaks in these areas will cause the MAF reading to be higher than it should be for any given boost... i.e. the ecu will see an airflow number it considers to be an overboost when the correct boost level is actually being achieved at the intake manifold.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what octane gas are you pumping? What brand as well?
Old Dec 12, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I am using 91 gas from chevron and shell. I had Gino at GB motorsport hook up my turbo timer so I think it should be okay. The peak boost that I was talking about is on the turbo timer, but now that I think about it...I don't think that matter. Anyways, it does feels like a gas cut off from the ECU tho. I should just bring it back to the dealer for a check up. Hope they dont ***** about my blitz tt.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 05:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Tym Switzer
Sounds to me like a fuel cut issue. This will occur when the ecu sees an airflow signal it considers to be an overboost. The bucking you feel is the ecu shutting off the fuel and spark simultaneously to bring the vehicle's boost within what it considers to be safe limits. Depending on where you sourced the boost signal for your meter, you may have inadvertently affected the boost signal going to your wastegate actuator thereby raising the boost. With the ambient temperatures getting colder (at least in our location), the likelyhood of fuel cut at higher boost levels increases. Also important to double check all connections and your intercooler for leaks, as any leaks in these areas will cause the MAF reading to be higher than it should be for any given boost... i.e. the ecu will see an airflow number it considers to be an overboost when the correct boost level is actually being achieved at the intake manifold.
Would a slight hiccuping sensation also be fuel cut?

I've had fuel cut where it was dramatic and it was clear it was fuel cut, but in my case, this doesnt feel like it.

Currently I occasionally feel "Drivability" types of issues, it feels like a misfire and its subtle, and it doesnt happen all the time. I suspect this may be what many of us are feeling.

Most of the time its under load, in second or third gear, at about 3000rpm, it just feels like it stumbles a bit, its slight but noticable as a loss in power. It could be boost spike but the gauge reads 20 psi until the solenoid kicks in. (I have the full Buschur Turbo back with the cat currently installed.. Nothing else at the moment while I'm troubleshooting this except for a boost gauge which I am now going to check for leaks yet again)

Oh well, just adding a little pointless details that I've noticed in the colder weather on my personal car and one other's Evo..
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
iu ithnk your problem is a large amoutn of knock. Remember this car is DESIGNED to be ran off 93~94 octane, running it off 91 in the summer will produce some knock in the summer time. Running 91 in the winter where the turbo is able to force denser air into the cylinder which causes for a leaner mixture will generate an even larger count of knock. I think your problem is knock. Take the car to Mistu and tell them your having problems with detination that way they can test for knock. A temperary fix would be to add some race fuel to your 91 about 2 gallons to ever tank of fuel should work fine. 3 gallons if you wanna be safe, but don't mix any more then that as it will take the octane too high and affect mileage and performance.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds exactly like fuel cut to me. Definitely should check out your taps for the boost gauge and make sure there are no vacuum leaks, my buddy had a similar problem. If you decide to take it to the dealership there is a TSB out on the boost solenoid, you can have them replace that too.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 08:36 AM

are you sure it's not a misfire?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

I have taken my car to the dealer today and they are gonna keep my car for couple days. I hope it won't be anything major.
When I was at the service shop today, there's a red evo there and I asked the service advisor what's wrong with it He told me an extra "freeze plug" was installed in the intake manifold and it has suck down into the head. The plug totally messed up the motor and some parts of the block. Now they are installing a brand new motor into that evo. BTW, it only has 2500miles. I was surprise how mitsu quaility control let that happened. For those ones that think mitsu break in their motors before they ship it out for sale....I think that THEORY is wrong!
Old Dec 13, 2003, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

t sounds like fuel cut to me too. I have experienced fuel cut of little amounts and fuel cut of large amounts. Sometimes your car will almost completely kill on you. It just depends why its hitting fuel cut. This could be due to knock, boost level, octane, lean conditions(very doubtful with this car). I would say take everything back to stock and take it to the dealer. Also you never answered if you saw this problem when it was stock or not.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry, I thought I said my Evo is stock except for the blitz turbo timer. Maybe I didn't.....