Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mystery oil leak

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mystery oil leak

wanna say thanks upfront! ok i have a really heavy oil leak coming down the timing belt side of the engine. it started when i was having some dead battery issues and finally after getting the car started i heard a buzzing noise from the passenger side of the engine. get home to find ive lost 2 qts of oil in a mile and a half. i pulled the timing covers, cleaned the mess up and started looking around. the best i can tell, is its coming down from somewhere over the crank trigger/timing sensor. Its dripping down the block, and coming out under the sensor. I have read dozens of threads and had no luck with cam seals and loose tensioner bolts, all is good. its dry below cam seals but wet around the engine mount and below. i also checked the mount bolts. i dunno
Old Feb 19, 2011, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An oil leak that big will be easy to spot.

Clean the whole area up with brake clean, and dry the oil up good.

Start the car and see where it is leaking from

GL, hope its a cheap fix!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:30 AM

yeah it would seem like an easy fix, but like i said, i cant tell where its seeping out from. i cleaned it up and have tried to spot the source 3 or four times already. its just coming from an area thats tough to see. is one of the balance shaft seals in that area? also, how far can i drop that side of the engine with the car jacked up and the motor mount unbolted? the oil is seeping from the motor mount area which is next to the frame rail=no room... i will work on it some more. this may be the excuse ive been looking for to pull the motor and delete the b-belts! haha
Old Feb 20, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to napa and get oil dye and a black light.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:47 AM

wow. umm, i cant tell, is that a mirror? the pic is kinda small! , i was thinking about that, guess it couldnt hurt. thanks the oil dye is a good idea. thanks and i will pick some up tommorow. i will keep everyone posted.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

If it's coming out as fast as you say you won't need any dye.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:47 PM

ok. i had time to mess with it again today. it is seeping from behind the oil pump sprocket then the wind from the timing belt is slinging it up. so my next question would be can you pull the timing belt off and just replace the seal behind the oil pump sprocket??? or is it new oil pump time?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 03:57 PM

in for answers, i had the same problem just put an o-ring in to stop it from leaking but would like to know the right way.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:21 PM

found an old thread where a guy just replaced the seal but some of the other members were telling him a blown seal is a sign of worn oil pump gear/play.. he said he had an oil light flicker on the dash and pulled over=bad pump low pressure. i never had an oil light, i know it blew the seal because of crankcase pressure due to starting issues and blahblahblah. i honestly think i can get away with just a new seal if possible... do i need any special tools or pullers for the seal? ideas? im trying guys, sorry for the questions, just trying to learn.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:30 PM

just found the oil pump seal at lancershop.com for 14.95 although i despize doing business with them!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

When my oil seal went it was from a bad pump. Good insurance to replace the whole thing they're pretty cheap and if you have anywhere near 60K on the clock do the timing belt, water pump and tensioner also.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

yes, might as well change the rest of the seals as well. cheap insurance. don't want to spend more on labor down the road.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:14 AM

30k miles. yeah you guys are right though. might as well replace the pump while im there, just didnt want to tear the car apart further. the car was down most of the year last year for pistons, rods, and new head valvetrain and cams. i actually got to drive the car for one month last year so i am just in a hurry to actually drive it. the oil pump is the only thing that didnt get touched last year! oh well, i guess i will order one tonight. thanks for pushing me to do the right thing... i will keep you guys informed
Old Jan 11, 2014, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead just because I am curious as to how you fixed it.

Quick Reply: mystery oil leak