Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost on stock tune only 0.7 to 0.8bar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Boost on stock tune only 0.7 to 0.8bar

Hey guys. I have an '05 evo 8 that I think may have boost problems. When I hit it in any gear boost rises to 0.8 and settles to 0.7. My shop did a boost leak test and found a minor leak on the throttle body seal. I guess the other thing pertinent to say is that my stock boost solenoid has JB weld on it....and rather long aftermarket blue hoses hooked up. And WG duty cycle is 100 from 2k up. Load never gets higher than like 180.

Is it safe to say the boost control system was butchered up and the car is probably running on WG pressure only?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes... jb weld? Seriously?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kings Fan
Yes... jb weld? Seriously?

Yea. LOL. I think they broke the nipple off the solenoid and had to JB weld the hose on directly. To their credit, it doesn't leak.

Will order GM BCS asap and get this BS sorted out.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

20 bucks right now on amazon http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-214-47...8348487&sr=8-6
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

WTH is that really the GM BCS? I mean yea it looks like it in the picture but 20 bucks?!? I'm buying it regardless, lol!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yup, buy that. Then get the spoolin up harness. Plug and play!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:15 AM

maybe you are missing a boost pill from inside one of the lines? I removed a boost pill from the line between the actuator and t-piece and it ran 12psi, with the boost pill in it runs 14.5psi.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRGEVO
maybe you are missing a boost pill from inside one of the lines? I removed a boost pill from the line between the actuator and t-piece and it ran 12psi, with the boost pill in it runs 14.5psi.

How much is the stock boost on a VIII supposed to be? I thought it should've been ~18 psi. And yea for sure it doesn't have the boost pill because the lines are aftermarket. I haven't had time to check if it was hooked up correctly yet.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:39 AM

Yeah something around there, I changed my lines all to 4mm silicone hosing but I made sure that I got the pill out of the factory hoses and put it in the new one. Do you still have the factory hoses?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:46 AM

Also, are you still running the factory boost solenoid? My car had problems with overboosting (~18psi) because the boost limit load was set too low. I learned how to tune quite well by myself in my own time and now my car makes a bit more power on 15psi than it did on 18psi (on 91) plus it no longer knocks.

You will be suprised how much the factory tune knocks, especially past 5500rpm. Just keep that in mind, if you havent already had a decent tune.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Factory is 19 psi on the evo 8s, right now you are running on WG (11psi) pressure. GM BCS should get you fixed up.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TxEvo8
Factory is 19 psi on the evo 8s, right now you are running on WG (11psi) pressure. GM BCS and a tune should get you fixed up.
Fixed
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have the factory lines. I'm guessing the previous owner swapped out a MBC setup for the factory BCS before he sold it to me. Except maybe couldn't find a set of factory lines. Honestly I don't mind. Its better to run waste gate pressure than overboost .

The car doesn't really knock consistently. No knock in 3rd gear and a bit of sporadic knock in 4th before 5500rpm (load levels never went past 180 2byte). It does that regardless of if I have 91 or 94 octane, or even NY/NJ 93 octane in it. The tune was one of the first things I checked. I datalogged it a hell of a lot before tracking the car. Then again I'd be very surprised if the stock timing is SO aggressive that it knocks at wastegate pressure.

I've got the GM BCS and pigtail shipped from amazon for $40 shipped thanks to my man Kings Fan . I've been meaning to get that BCS for a while actually. Honestly I had no idea how fast a stock evo was supposed to feel, lol. Everybody tunes their evos right away. And I've never thought to convert the bar readings from the MR gauge pack to psi to check (the stock MAP readings is complete POS). My gf actually pointed it out last weekend, thats when I realized.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I don't have the factory lines. I'm guessing the previous owner swapped out a MBC setup for the factory BCS before he sold it to me. Except maybe couldn't find a set of factory lines. Honestly I don't mind. Its better to run waste gate pressure than overboost .

The car doesn't really knock consistently. No knock in 3rd gear and a bit of sporadic knock in 4th before 5500rpm (load levels never went past 180 2byte). It does that regardless of if I have 91 or 94 octane, or even NY/NJ 93 octane in it. The tune was one of the first things I checked. I datalogged it a hell of a lot before tracking the car. Then again I'd be very surprised if the stock timing is SO aggressive that it knocks at wastegate pressure.

I've got the GM BCS and pigtail shipped from amazon for $40 shipped thanks to my man Kings Fan . I've been meaning to get that BCS for a while actually. Honestly I had no idea how fast a stock evo was supposed to feel, lol. Everybody tunes their evos right away. And I've never thought to convert the bar readings from the MR gauge pack to psi to check (the stock MAP readings is complete POS). My gf actually pointed it out last weekend, thats when I realized.
Becareful when you tune with the GM 3 port as you may overboost with the wrong settings. Start with very low numbers in the waste gate maps (all 20s) and go up from there. Make sure you follow that ecu boost thread very closely. The stock solenoid with the pills has safety built in so you don't over boost, but with the GM you can achieve very high boost with small changes. I just picked up an extra 3 port myself from amazon lol
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the heads up! I was going to start with the WGDC at 50 but guess I'll start lower now, lol. I'm hoping I get an evo X MAP sensor soon so I can skip all this load, load offset, error correction BS and tune with psi instead.

Whats the consensus on running the resistor in the harness?

Quick Reply: Boost on stock tune only 0.7 to 0.8bar