Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which 02 housing for better spool?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
How about this o2 housing and downpipe :

MAP Downpipe with recirculated 2 piece v band option.
http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...2e-ss-evo.html

Recirculated wastegate dump: Standard O2 housing configurations recirculate the wastegate gases just inches away from the turbine outlet resulting in turbulence and decreased performance. Our unit recirculates the wastegate gases as far away from the turbine outlet as possible to provide you with the best possible performance without the additional noise from the external dump.

Based on several requests for a two piece configuration we have finally released a v-band version that retains a full 3" diameter throughout! This option is only available with a recirculated wastegate dump.

Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim3142
Thanks for the info. Any o2 housings that recirculate a foot or so back into the exhaust? I've been reading the product descriptions for various 02 housings and haven't come across any info like this.

Anyways, I've had my IX since late June of last year. Out of CT9A's, I've only seen a red one (from the base) and a white one in Lemoore. Are you still in the area?
Sometimes im in the area I still have family in Lemoore, but I moved to Friant a few years back.

Anyways Map makes a nice v-band disconnect like what bluEVOIX posted but they also make a dump that recirculates back into the exhaust about 1.5 feet from the turbo, you can also get it to where it dumps to the atmosphere if you want but it's not worth it in my opinion.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by ct9asilver
Now back on topic, IMO a good quality o2 housing that spools fast has a divided wastgate that dumps seperatley into the atmosphere, or recirculates a foot or so back into the exhaust not a few inches from the turbo like the megan or invidia, that causes turbulence. It can be debated and people can say im wrong but smooth exhaust flow helps in the power making department. And FYI a 2.5" o2 outlet will spool slightly faster than a 3" outlet or in the Invidia's case a 2.9" outlet.
I'm glad you prefaced this by "IMO". I would like to see several or even a couple back to back dyno charts that can support your "O". This has been hammered out so much it's not even funny. We could take this back into 2006. Seriously OP.....just get a quality aftermarket housing from a trusted company/vendor. Go with a dump if you think you can handle the racket it spits out then move on. MAP, Megan, Invidia, ported eBay.....whatever your flavor just get one and go. We're talking a couple ponies at best between the better ones especially in your application. 4xforce out!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I'll think I'll be getting the coated Megan o2 housing for its cost-effectiveness lol
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4xforce
I'm glad you prefaced this by "IMO". I would like to see several or even a couple back to back dyno charts that can support your "O". This has been hammered out so much it's not even funny. We could take this back into 2006. Seriously OP.....just get a quality aftermarket housing from a trusted company/vendor. Go with a dump if you think you can handle the racket it spits out then move on. MAP, Megan, Invidia, ported eBay.....whatever your flavor just get one and go. We're talking a couple ponies at best between the better ones especially in your application. 4xforce out!
Your tuner noticed more then a "couple ponies" in his test.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

He and I have had this discussion more than once and I'm sure he would agree with what I've written. Take the tests with a grain of salt.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
He and I have had this discussion more than once and I'm sure he would agree with what I've written. Take the tests with a grain of salt.
Yep. I do agree.

My car is way different then the OPs car. My car is on a BLACK with every bolt on and the smaller 2.5" outlet was holding my car back.

But for the OP and his current power goals, I would just recommend the tried and trued Megan 02, preferably ported and coated. Or maybe a Titek.

FYI, I have a used Megan and Titek for sale.