Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Diff, T-case, Trans upgrade re-builds?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
Question Diff, T-case, Trans upgrade re-builds?

I've done a few searches and have not seen many recent discussions, maybe I missed something when searching, if so please help me out and post the link.

I'm curious if anyone has really experimented with the different re-builds of the T-case and Transmissions?

I want to start doing some research, for future purchases. I still have my 2003 Evo besides the massive engine upgrades I haven't messed much with anything else. Haven't had any issues, this far besides the deceleration noise that was very common in 2003 until about 2005 I believe.

So if someone can educate me on these items and what an ideal "reasonable" set up (not going over board the, power is staying the same in this beast) would be for a street/track car (no drag). I'm Putting down 513WHP and 490WTQ.

I did see these Threads...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ound-here.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...grade-tre.html

so, someone Enlighten me someone!

Last edited by Evo11V; Feb 25, 2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain

Shep Trans, you have an evo 8, so thats good. You wont have to convert from 9 to 8

Street/Strip transmission (5 speed conversion if you have a 6 speed)

Stage 2 Transfer Case (Stage 3 t-case is for drag, but some people run it. It's not needed)

Rear Diff

Then you're set my friend.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

TRE:
t-case rebuild & stage II trans rebuild - SOLID.
exedy twin is nice too.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by millen86
Shep Trans, you have an evo 8, so thats good. You wont have to convert from 9 to 8

Street/Strip transmission (5 speed conversion if you have a 6 speed)

Stage 2 Transfer Case (Stage 3 t-case is for drag, but some people run it. It's not needed)

Rear Diff

Then you're set my friend.

Yeah have the 5 speed... car is Feb 2003 build date. Owned it in April 2003

There are a lot of options have been doing a bunch of reading. Thinking of with the trans changing the gearing around 1, 2, evo 9 and 5 evo 9 gearing. With the FP Red my power comes on around 4 and holds all the way to about 8.5k

Biggest problems I'm trying to get around are crazy under steer. I think with a rear diff upgrade that will be eliminated. Also in the front when one of the wheels comes up the power goes to that wheel so I need to defiantly do something about that.

Before recently I haven't put much thought in to the drive train I was so focused on the engine. Now that I have the build/power I want I've been reading about improved track performance (non drag for my purposes).
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by texasnoiz
TRE:
t-case rebuild & stage II trans rebuild - SOLID.
exedy twin is nice too.
Have the twin for the last 2 years, awesomeness
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
i have less power than you, and probably always will - my set up (06 evo ix GSR) for drivetrain is:

shep street strip with evo8 3rd and 4th gear
shep stage 2 transfer case
gruppe-s acd reflash
cusco 1.5 way rear differential
exedy twin hd

drives pretty well now, though getting into reverse has been a B, but the trans is still pretty much new <500 miles. Cusco 1.5 way rear diff is sick, I got it at the same time I did the ACD reflash though, so I can't comment on individual contribution. I'd say the Cusco is doing most of the work though. in the snow touching throttle will give me immediate power oversteer - IMMEDIATE. I also get power oversteering exiting tight corners when I auto-x. I'm also the one that started that rear diff thread =]
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:30 PM

I recently had the Death Whine, was gonna go with TRE, talked to him on the phone and said I'd get back when T-case was out. Then when I was ready, I couldn't get a response after a couple e-mails and calling for a week. My T-case is now getting the upgrade at MAPerformance, they offer the hardend ring and pinion, 8mm to 10mm upgrade, shimming, and free shipping over $100.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
i have less power than you, and probably always will - my set up (06 evo ix GSR) for drivetrain is:

shep street strip with evo8 3rd and 4th gear
shep stage 2 transfer case
gruppe-s acd reflash
cusco 1.5 way rear differential
exedy twin hd

drives pretty well now, though getting into reverse has been a B, but the trans is still pretty much new <500 miles. Cusco 1.5 way rear diff is sick, I got it at the same time I did the ACD reflash though, so I can't comment on individual contribution. I'd say the Cusco is doing most of the work though. in the snow touching throttle will give me immediate power oversteer - IMMEDIATE. I also get power oversteering exiting tight corners when I auto-x. I'm also the one that started that rear diff thread =]

Basically the route I was planning after doing the research as far as the tranny, TC and Differential.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i suggest start with the tc and get an lsd since if you haven't touched the tc then you don't have a front lsd yet.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewzaragoza
i suggest start with the tc and get an lsd since if you haven't touched the tc then you don't have a front lsd yet.

Yeah want to figure out the install costs see if its better to do it all at once. Do you know the difference between Quaife, wavetrac, or even RS compared to the 03 Open diff which I cant stand?

I saw this thread a bit older but still does not answer the question started in the origional thread or really say what the difference is, including the RS.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-wavetrac.html

Last edited by Evo11V; Mar 2, 2011 at 06:22 AM.