Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading Coils and Ignition control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've been prototyping our own very own ignition system for the Evo VIII which features an MSD DIS box. Tym Switzer is right. There is no way to get the MSD to work on the stock Evo's igniton system since it runs internal transistors within the coilpacks. We've been testing individual coil-on-plug setups as well as external coil setups which have worked well so far. 2-Way (or Stutter-Box) is something that can be had now. This is not a cheap system by any means. Definitely for the owner that wants it all.

Darryl
Old Dec 15, 2003, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How much are you guys talking about though? At least I know I'm not crazy about a need for it and some reputable shops have gotten a start on a product. The coil on plug setup was what I was originally considering when I was designing my own. I figured I'd wait it out to see what became available.. I guess its good timing.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:28 AM
EvoM Guru

truth is that the EVO 2-plugs per coil setup is as modern as it gets, other than individual coil on plugs. The distance of the ignition wire is near nothing, and the efficiency of the coil is enough to power up 500hp+ Evos. I can't see how any modifications to the stock set-up would REALLY increase performance. MalibuJack- you should be looking into controlling spark for performance rather than trying to alter the spark. Get the E-manage. Its as easy to play with as the saFC and its also very affordable.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

It may be modern.. but I'm confident there's better things out there.. I can't really disagree that it may not be necessary with stock or mildly modified cars. But we really don't have an alternative anyway so nobody has "Tested" anything to be certain if there is a benefit.

Its interesting you bring up the EManage.. I actually like it, but was warned against using the ignition harness portion of it because it can potentially damage the stock coils.

I already have an S-AFC and a S-AVC so I really don't want to swap to another piggyback unless its something like the UTEC or XEDE. I want to stay away from devices that "Trick" the computer into doing what we want if at all possible. (this leads into another offtopic discussion altogether anyway)

I've used MSD devices in the past, and have no problem switching to different coils to use it. But I do think this thread is good for one specific thing, and that it points out that very few people have attempted to improve or replace on what is there.

It may be that what is there is "Good enough" but my car certainly is nowhere near stock and I do get some degree of misfire.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you aren't misfiring, there is no need for ignition upgrades. You aren't going to gain any power from it.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:12 AM
MP5
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
If you aren't misfiring, there is no need for ignition upgrades. You aren't going to gain any power from it.
Thats the problem many many people are actually misfiring. Its the most hush hush issue on evom Ive cleared 0300-0304 codes from practically every EVO ive encountered from every "kit" and peicemeil. Its happening thats for sure
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

I get it often enough to know its a misfire.. I haven't gotten a CEL light so I've never checked for a stored code. I have logged enough data on my car to know its not timing related though. I am still running stock plugs and stock boost solenoid at the moment.

I think part of the problem is people can't detect a misfire that easily unless its dramatic enough to get them to think its fuel cut. Fuel cut is a harsh cutoff, the misfire feels like its stumbling but not cutting out. Again, this could be something easily cured. But it sure has stirred up some interesting conversation.

And a good ignition system isn't intended to gain additional power, its to gain additional reliability and consistency. You will gain some peformance on cars that have alot of misfiring issues due to fouled plugs, we do run an overly rich mixture stock on these cars so it would be no surprise to hear more about misfiring and fouling.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:57 AM
EvoM Guru

the latest firmware for the E-manage cures the coil burning problem. Trust me, I burned 2 coils. It only happened when the ignition was in the "on " position.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you could probably retro-fit the ignition system from a 1g or 2g DSM (coils and power transistor are seperate) and run it with the MSD if you wanted too. You can probably find the parts at low cost in a salvage yard.

Keith

PS: Only reason I am thinking about ignition upgrades is the problems the AEM EMS has with the stock setup.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by superz
the latest firmware for the E-manage cures the coil burning problem. Trust me, I burned 2 coils. It only happened when the ignition was in the "on " position.
Which version firmware are you talking about ??

I'm using 1.36 and I still can't get the ignition to work
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Tym Switzer
The MSD DIS2 will absolutely not work on the EVO's. They are definately intended for vehicles running external power transistors. We've had some ignition issues with the car and I have built a full CDI coil on plug ignition system for our car. It's not going to be the cheapest solution, but it will be the best. I'm finishing up the wiring details that will make it a complete plug in assembly (no cutting or splicing of your factory harness). Right now I'm trying to determine the power level I want to run the systems at. To date, I've run the system with .050 plug gaps at WOT under 21psi with no misfires. This system is a full CDI (rather than inductive) igntion and features multi-strike capability. I'm working on the final system mounting and wiring details as mentioned previously... but I thought I'd let you all know what I was up to.

I'll post a pic of the ignition in our EVO development section shortly, just to give everyone an idea of the system's quality.

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVODEV1.html

Take care all.
WOW - just what I need - any idea of when this will be in production - put me ON the list !
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Fourdoor
I think you could probably retro-fit the ignition system from a 1g or 2g DSM (coils and power transistor are seperate) and run it with the MSD if you wanted too. You can probably find the parts at low cost in a salvage yard.

Keith

PS: Only reason I am thinking about ignition upgrades is the problems the AEM EMS has with the stock setup.
good idea ! I think Pruven does this
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

I think many coil on plug setups that people are making are simply 300M coils with a bit of wiring and a machined aluminum plate. Buschur already makes them for DSM's so I doubt that it will take them long to get the EVO units running.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

That was exactly what I was fabricating for my car.. I was in the process of figuring out the wiring and looking for the connectors.. Since the stock ignition signals would only be used as triggers to the MSD, I was going to use either GM style dual post or 300M coils.

I actually don't think it would take very long at all.. The connector is the only issue (And the appropriate signal isolation circuits) I was planning on using some form opto-isolation so I could use a low voltage signal to trigger the coils. That would mean no damage to the ECU should anything go awry..

If someone wants to hook me up with a DSM 1G or 2G setup, I can certainly get it working for our cars.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/pn6212.pdf
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/dis2_dis4.pdf

FWIW There are two versions of the DIS-2, one is programmable (#6212) and the other is not, (#6211), (thanks to Fourdoor for pointing that out) Its possible the 6211 is a better match for what I want to attempt.

Looks like the DIS-2 will work as long as we use aftermarket dual pole coil packs (the GM dual pole ones look like the best option).. This thing looks really cool, you will definitely require the Tach adapter. And you can use the 1G/2G DSM Magnicore cables.

I haven't tried this yet, but this is just the result of my research.

The only bad thing is it looks like you may not be able to put the cover for the coil/plug housing back on the valve cover.

One thing I've noticed about the new DIS-2 is that since its programmable, I'm not sure if it will fight with the ECU should you want to use it to control the coil firing (Timing)

I'm still doing research, but I'll post more if I find it.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Dec 17, 2003 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Coils and Ignition control