Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading Coils and Ignition control

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2003, 08:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Upgrading Coils and Ignition control

Has anyone attempted to upgrade the coil packs and installing an MSD (2-DIS?) box?

I have always used MSD boxes on my american cars, but was curious if it was as easy to do on the Evo, and if its a worthy upgrade? It seems to me that nobody has addressed ignition other than adjusting the timing, using colder plugs, and upgrading spark wires.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about this ..... some people have reported good results but personally I have not tried it yet

Carlos H.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

I've seen that too.. I am more curious is if its an effective mod for this car, or a waste of money.. I built a fuel injected v8 for a friend, and used an MSD Digital setup with 4 coils..

I am not too familiar with our ignition system and whether it will do a multiple spark discharge. I've also heard using some aftermarket ECU upgrades could burn up the stock coils..
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:42 AM

yep, some aftermarket ECUs tend to increase the dwell time too much which IMHO damages thes stock coils.

Carlos H.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Thanks.. I was wondering if the MSD SC series was worthwhile, partly because it has a rev limiter and shift light capability too, but also because it can prevent plug fouling and fire through fould plugs (In my past experience)

I love integrated solutions, but I've been wondering if this would help the periodic misfiring I get.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chiraoka
What about this ..... some people have reported good results but personally I have not tried it yet

Carlos H.
Worked great on my 3rd gen RX-7, which misfired terribly above 6500rpm. Not yet available for the EVO. HKS USA has a prototype but, last I checked, they had not tested it yet. It is expensive though. FWIW, the only ignition problems I've seen with the EVO are on cars running aftermarket EFI systems which rely on their own coil drivers.

Shiv
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I received mine from Japan, it worked great for 1 month and now I had to take it out because the car wouldnt fire.

It is on its way back to HKS.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

The MSD DIS-2 can't be used on the EVO. I know this because we tried and it burnt out the transistor inside the coils. It is made for a car that has external transistors.

Now we have to buy new coils which are not cheap.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chiraoka

Carlos H.
Works great .. but for the price ..
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RnR Racing
The MSD DIS-2 can't be used on the EVO. I know this because we tried and it burnt out the transistor inside the coils. It is made for a car that has external transistors.

Why not install new drivers and a set of aftermarket coils?
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:28 AM
EvoM Guru

That was my whole point.. I'd prefer to replace the coils and use an ignition amplifier. For as much as I think the factory parts are good, I think that there could be better. I'd like to use an ignition box and 4 coils.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RnR Racing

You Evo guys are learning the lessons we Lancer guys learned about the Mitsu DIS system almost two years ago. You can see the failed results of the test fitment of the MSD DIS if you a search or two. Does nobody know if the HKS DLI-II for the 4G64 powered Eclipses works or not? I can't imagine the setup being different enough to warrant a new box like mentioned earlier.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

You Evo guys are learning the lessons we Lancer guys learned about the Mitsu DIS system almost two years ago. You can see the failed results of the test fitment of the MSD DIS if you a search or two. Does nobody know if the HKS DLI-II for the 4G64 powered Eclipses works or not? I can't imagine the setup being different enough to warrant a new box like mentioned earlier.
Don't know what's a 4G64 .. but you're right .. they are practically the same .. just need the harness to make it easier to install

I run the IV/V/VI DLi on the VII .. you just need to modify a pin .. that's all .. just 5 minutes and it's plug and play after that ..
Old Dec 15, 2003, 06:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Thats the most encouraging post I've heard so far. Like everyone's experience from trying it.. I had the concern about burning up the coils. I hear alot from import sites that say "Ignition amplifiers are not needed" but I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't want to use something that can get the plugs to fire in nearly any condition, especially when your dealing with high boost and the potential to get a misfire or spark quench. Do you have a pic of your DLI unit and the connector? Also are you using it with the stock coils, or had you replaced them?
Old Dec 15, 2003, 06:58 AM

Exclamation

The MSD DIS2 will absolutely not work on the EVO's. They are definately intended for vehicles running external power transistors. We've had some ignition issues with the car and I have built a full CDI coil on plug ignition system for our car. It's not going to be the cheapest solution, but it will be the best. I'm finishing up the wiring details that will make it a complete plug in assembly (no cutting or splicing of your factory harness). Right now I'm trying to determine the power level I want to run the systems at. To date, I've run the system with .050 plug gaps at WOT under 21psi with no misfires. This system is a full CDI (rather than inductive) igntion and features multi-strike capability. I'm working on the final system mounting and wiring details as mentioned previously... but I thought I'd let you all know what I was up to.

I'll post a pic of the ignition in our EVO development section shortly, just to give everyone an idea of the system's quality.

http://www.buschurracing.com/EVODEV1.html

Take care all.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Coils and Ignition control