Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Leaking fuel injector?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking fuel injector?

Ok first off i did do a search and didnt really find anyone else with this problem.

I recently installed a new set of PTE 1000cc injectors in my 03 VIII.

The other day i noticed a heavy smell of raw gas coming from my car while driving and idling. I found out that one of my injectors was pissing out fuel during idle and most likely during cruise and boost. Its leaking on the fuel rail to injector junction of course. I took the rail off and found that the o-ring was torn. This was a brand new o-ring so im unsure why it tore...

My question is that when installing aftermarket injectors am I supposed to reuse the rubber bushing that slide along the body of the injector (rail side?) Im not talking about the sealing o-ring that actually goes inside the rail it like a bushing in between the injector body (near the plug) and the rail flange. Im asking this because the new injectors seem to be a bit taller then the stock ones making it a bit tighter when you torque the fuel rail down. How tight should it be?

I fixed the first leaking injector and now i seem to have another one. What gives? Its unclear as to weather or not to reuse this bushing for after market injectors..

Thanks for any advice!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ethan169
Ok first off i did do a search and didnt really find anyone else with this problem.

I recently installed a new set of PTE 1000cc injectors in my 03 VIII.

The other day i noticed a heavy smell of raw gas coming from my car while driving and idling. I found out that one of my injectors was pissing out fuel during idle and most likely during cruise and boost. Its leaking on the fuel rail to injector junction of course. I took the rail off and found that the o-ring was torn. This was a brand new o-ring so im unsure why it tore...

My question is that when installing aftermarket injectors am I supposed to reuse the rubber bushing that slide along the body of the injector (rail side?) Im not talking about the sealing o-ring that actually goes inside the rail it like a bushing in between the injector body (near the plug) and the rail flange. Im asking this because the new injectors seem to be a bit taller then the stock ones making it a bit tighter when you torque the fuel rail down. How tight should it be?

I fixed the first leaking injector and now i seem to have another one. What gives? Its unclear as to weather or not to reuse this bushing for after market injectors..

Thanks for any advice!
are you referring to the 2 spacers on the fuel rail? black plastic round donut spacers?

if so.. ya they always get reused.

when installing injectors you push them onto the rail by yourself by hand then push the bigger oring part into the intake manifold then install the rail with the injectors.. the 2 plastic spacer/donuts work on all injector brands.

also wet the oring always with fuel so it slides in without tearing.. i think you just caught it wrong and it tore the rubber.. if you have to, put a super thin layer of grease on the oring next time to assure it doesnt tear again.

the spacers had nothing to do with it tearing or leaking.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think he is talking about the Phenolic plastic spacers, he is talking about the soft rubber stock spacers between the injector and the rail, and yes you better use those or get new ones (FIC send new blue ones with there injectors) if you dont use them there is very little pressure pushing against the injector and it will **** fuel everywhere..
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My question is that when installing aftermarket injectors am I supposed to reuse the rubber bushing that slide along the body of the injector (rail side?)
As Uvambo said im not refering to the two phonelic spacers for the rail mounting itself.

I did reuse them and they didnt seem to be a problem i just wasnt sure if they were sized correctly for my injectors as the PTE's dont come with any bushings/spacers/orings. Just the top o-ring that seats inside of the fuel rail itself. Anyway I replaced all of the rings with some other ones and made sure they were lubed a tad. I have a feeling that they were seated correctly and they tore when entering the rail as you said. I was more curious about the rubber bushing. Thanks for the reply guys!

Ethan
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by uvambo
i dont think he is talking about the Phenolic plastic spacers, he is talking about the soft rubber stock spacers between the injector and the rail, and yes you better use those or get new ones (FIC send new blue ones with there injectors) if you dont use them there is very little pressure pushing against the injector and it will **** fuel everywhere..
ya thats what i thought at first then i read "bushing" and was like wtf? you're right tho, hes referring to the upper seal on the injector under the oring.. since he said rubber.