Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Options

I am currently reserching ACT Clutches in order to find the correct one for my Evo 8. The stock cltch in the car is on its last leg so im looking for a clutch that makes for a decent daily driver, although i hardly ever drive the car. It has been upgraded from a stock turbo kit to the AMS GT35R kit, has an upgraded front LSD in it and a few other small mods. In the past year i have only put about 400miles on the car and it normally stays in the gaurage under the car cover.

From all the posts i have read it seems that an ACT Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII/IX Heavy Duty Street Disc Clutch Kit would be all i need. I never launch the car and only drive it on vacations and and out on weekends. So, yeah i know, pretty weak. The car has around 400awhp. Before i go out and buy a new clutch and flywheel I would like some opinions on the setup i have purposed.

Thanks much and I look forward to your input.

Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:57 PM

Just ordered my ACT clutch... but it was the mb7 xtss.. xtreme clutch kit! seems people like it better than the hdss. but both should be able to hold the power u have... they say pedal pressure is a bit stiffer than stock..

PM VRSF Tiago (VR Speed Factory) for a price on it.. great customer service and price on it!! hope this helps a bit!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

DONT GET THE ACT Clutch Ive had one on my car for 30k-40k and now my car lives its life on jackstands! After dropping over a grand on the HDSS and the ACT street lite fly wheel and then shelling out anouther 675 to have it installed, the throw out bearing went out. So now I have to eather pay to have my ACT rebuilt all over again when it should have been good in the first place. SO instead Im just going to get an Exedy clutch and flywheel now and throw my HDSS in the garbage.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:05 AM

Act Xtss is the clutch to get. My friend had the hdss and had problems with it only because it wasnt installed correctly.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

get an os geiken, you won't be disapponted...
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
psst. exedy twin is good for dd
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
DONT GET THE ACT Clutch Ive had one on my car for 30k-40k and now my car lives its life on jackstands! After dropping over a grand on the HDSS and the ACT street lite fly wheel and then shelling out anouther 675 to have it installed, the throw out bearing went out. So now I have to eather pay to have my ACT rebuilt all over again when it should have been good in the first place. SO instead Im just going to get an Exedy clutch and flywheel now and throw my HDSS in the garbage.

So he shouldnt get an ACT because your throw out bearing went bad after 30-40k miles. He drives his car 400 miles a year, he'd be dead before his throw out bearing went out. Your also blaming ACT for a bad throw out bearing? You realize that they buy the bearing from the same company who makes it for mitsubishi right? If you compare an OEM one to the one that ACT includes with their kit, its the exact same thing. Im sure for those 30-40k miles you probably babied the clutch too right? People like you scare people from buying the parts that are correct for their car.

Im personally using an ACT HD with a sprung 6 puck disc on a 2.4 setup running FWD with an EVO trans/tcase in a galant making 440whp/wtq with no issues. I have about 1500 miles on it so far, about 10 dyno pulls and a few hard FWD launches on it with trouble at all. I think it would be a good clutch for your application. The sprung 6 puck is also not hard to drive on the street, its a nice compromise between the street disc and a non-sprung disc. I used to have a street discs and I barely notice a difference with the 6 puck.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

There are so many members use HDSS on their evo, including me with success
Old Mar 7, 2011, 05:19 PM

buy an exedy twin.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:18 PM

thx so much for the input guys
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Halfourd
thx so much for the input guys
no problem bro... let us know what you end up getting!! good luck!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:51 AM
EvoM Guru
Veteran: Army

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
30-40k is good life out of a clutch for a car like an Evo. Not sure what you're *****ing about...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude swisha u got 30-40k out of your clutch, id say you prolly got really good out of it. As far as the TOB going bad thats why its called the throw out bearing, they can go bad, u prolly were beatin on your car before but now your playin innocent blamin the product when it was you, im on my 3rd act clutch, act has backed me up twice, first time due to high spot in the clutch disc from the dowel pin, 2nd time with the clutch hub and springs breaking into 20 pieces and act has even paid for the 2nd labor to have it installed, so far on my 3rd act clutch with over 20k so far, no slippage yet knock on wood, and my numbers from first to third clutch went from 287hp285tq, to 385hp 355tq on 91 octane, buy the ACT HDSS clutch, and im running prolight flywheel, my personal rec to go with those since tranny has to go out to replace clutch, replace your upper and lower clutch lines with SS, no more soft pedal after youve been beatin on it, pedal stays nice and firm... so listen to the people talkin crap about a product, or a guy that beats on his daily whos gotten good customer service from ACT. Make sure the company installing it HAS installed numerous clutches before on evos, thatll prolly be the money breaker, if install is ****ed up. Buy the clutch and labor at the same time, that way if theres a problem its on the installers end, to handle the issue with manufacturer.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm been running a ACT XTSD with a RRE lightweight flwheel for almost 50k miles without issue. The clutch and flywheel have both seen anywhere from 330-450whp, and I have also road raced on this clutch about seven times now. If this one goes out, I will most likely replace it with the same clutch because it's awesome!!!!Only time it sucks is when I try shifting at 8k and it locks me out sometimes.....but I don't do that often
Old Mar 8, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ur a liar ben ive seen u shift with the tach need close to the 6 o clock position haha...but yea hdss and your good...unless you go over 500 hp in which case ull need a new one, but ull be good with your mod list.

Quick Reply: Clutch Options