Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update from the install date. The sound did actually went down just a little bit. My mechanic says that the mufflers are more saturarted with running that rich after a few weeks. ??

Still very loud but it's the first time my wife said, hey your car isn't as loud, so thats says a lot. 77 db in car at 1200rpm.
I guess I'm going to live with it and later on put another big resonator if I'm fed up.
Police followed me 10 km on the interstate after a strong pull in the highway but never arrested me I just made a 0-120 quite a bit too fast for him, LOL.
The small exhaust tip seems too work, 2-3 police car behind me in the city without any consequence.

I'm to worry with a VT that it will rattle as I have cams and rattle in the exhaust is one the most annoying things there is and with our winter here in Montreal, moving parts in a muffler is a NO NO.

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Here is a 7" muffler Wizzo fit in the cat location. Why wont a 6" fit on yours?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9185697-post57.html
d'oh! Missed your post. Not sure how.

Anyway, that is gigantic! Currently my car is a lot lower than that, but I am going to be changing that as well.

I do think I'm going to end up sacrificing my Perrin CBE to make my exhaust. I was originally going to just have one fabbed, but the hassle of selling my Perrin used, and the custom exhaust being more than I planned is starting to lean me towards just hacking it up and calling it a day. Thoughts?

I've decided to try a 5" in the test pipe location, and a resonator in the front of the CBE, with a 7" in the rear. By all accounts I'd think that would be very near stock with no drone.

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Update from the install date. The sound did actually went down just a little bit. My mechanic says that the mufflers are more saturarted with running that rich after a few weeks. ??

Still very loud but it's the first time my wife said, hey your car isn't as loud, so thats says a lot. 77 db in car at 1200rpm.
I guess I'm going to live with it and later on put another big resonator if I'm fed up.
Thanks for the update. I'm going straight to two mufflers plus a resonator. I'm fed up now, and anything other than stealthy quiet is going to get to me. Doesn't need to be silent (although that would be nice) but it needs to be quiet. How big is the tip on your new setup??? Got pics?

Last edited by FERNO; Mar 31, 2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lv05evo
BluEVOIX,

I thought you had tried Thermal R&D mufflers and liked them. I remember someone saying(thought it was you) that they are heavier than other brands leading one to think that they are packed sound absorbing material inside..
I was running the 8"x18" round muffler. although the website calls it oval, there are round units.

it worked well for many years, but it just got louder over time.

I am thinking about getting in contact with united muffler to make a custom muffler.

http://www.unitedmuffler.com/oval_truck_mufflers.html

however, they are only made out of galvanized steel.... i live in so. cal, so i might give it a try, especially since i paint my muffler black already.

I am considering the 8.25 x 11.5 oval, possibly with a side entrance...not sure yet.

I need t speak to them about packing, perforation count, stuff they do to make quiet mufflers while living with hot turbo exhaust with the least amount of back pressure.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
To bad no one has perfected this yet for aftermarket......

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-n...diesel-exhaust
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:01 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, yesterday there was a development on this story. I finally went to my first Evo meet!

There were 4-5 IX's there, one with a GT35R. I heard the following, quietest to loudest:

From outside: Blue IX - Tanable Medalion Touring, stock.
Silver IX - Tanabe Medalion Touring w/ Downpipe, stock or near stock.

From inside:
Black IX - Buscur Bullet w/test pipe, GT35R + mods.
Black VIII - mine, with Perrin CBE and Test Pipe, ATP Stealth Stage III (more on that later)

So the Blue IX was very, very quiet. Totally acceptable.
The Silver IX was quiet, but I'm a little concerned about it opening up at high RPM. I'd imagine both cars would be quiet from inside and could be totally livable.

Here comes the oddness.
The fairly-highly modded Black IX GT35R Bullet-equipped car was only slightly too-loud from inside the car. This was a bit of a shocker. I could drive this everyday at least initially, but I can see it getting old real quick once I became accustomed to it. The guy that gave me the ride has been hearing me ***** about my exhaust and has thought I was crazy... Until I gave him a ride.

Once we took my car out, I ran it through the gears and he was says "**** man I would have sold this car by now! ...that is AWFUL" So my car seemed at least 5x louder inside than his BR Bullet! It is seriously as bad as I make it out.

So it looks like the whole problem is how ridiculously loud my Perrin is, not how loud Evo exhausts are in general. I think I can safely proceed with anything at this point, as long as it is quieter than the Medalion Touring on BluEVOIX's scale. I'm even considering the Greddy Evo2 while adding a 5" Magnaflow in the test pipe or another muffled test pipe.

This is good news people.

One quick note. I followed the Buschur-Bullet-equipped car out of the shopping center and down the highway, and while that car WAS borderline acceptable inside, it was entirely TOO LOUD from behind/outside. I definitely do not want that and will continue my quest for a quiet exhaust, but I have a LOT more faith now that I will be able to get it down to acceptable levels. I plan to update ASAP with my choice and results!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

What it do homeboys!

Another update...

I decided to hack up my Perrin CBE and just replace the muffler on that and weld another 5" muffler into the test pipe. If it is too loud, I can always add a resonator in between.

I'm really getting close now, new parts arrived tonight!

Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Wish you good luck. Hurry up and install the combo!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Update. Problem with my car.

Tubular manifold has a hole in it. Also, leaking where it bolts to the turbo. You can hear the leak.

The exhaust is still droning, with a minor maybe 10% reduction. In car db dropped by 5 at 3000rpm, still loud. Again, I have a major exhaust leak or two at the turbo which needs to be rectified before going further.

I'll update later on...
Old Apr 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, that was fast.

Got my hands on a buschur ported stock manifold thanks to my friend Ali. So we'll see what going from a tubular manifold to the ported stock cast unit plus fixing the exhaust leak does to reduce the noise.

Stay tuned.

--J.

Last edited by FERNO; Apr 8, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

A hole in the tubular manifold will make the car extremely loud. I've heard an evo with the egt probe port unplugged and that little whole made a world of a difference.

Fix your issue then report back.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, especially BluEVOIX. I'm willing to bet my setup isn't much quieter than the OP's even though I'm using a stock housing turbo. DC Sports downpipe/test pipe (one piece) into Greddy Ti catback (full titanium, not TI-C). I never minded it until I drove 1500 miles in a little over 24 hours. Never again.

Unlike BluEVOIX, I don't need stock quiet. Just tolerable quiet. For every 100 rpm over 3000 I'm pretty sure my car gets louder exponentially. Cruising at 4000 on the highway is just brutal.

First question. Would having a 6" Magnaflow muffler welded into the test pipe while retaining my GReddy Ti make a noticeable difference? Like I said, it doesn't have to be stock quiet. Just cutting down on the drone significantly would make me a happy camper. I realize I have probably the loudest catback on the market.

Second question. If that is still too loud and I decide to replace my GReddy Ti with this...

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...0d99c620b656d6

Will that essentially be the dual Magnaflow setup you were running, BluEVOIX? For whatever reason I don't want a flapper setup and the dual muffler videos you posted seem plenty quiet.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I told you it's too loud even with 2 Magnaflows mufflers. the 10% is about right.

I will install maybe a bit later another resonator but findind the best place too put it would be a bit harder. For now I have too many suspsnsion problem. I'll report back with an update.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
I told you it's too loud even with 2 Magnaflows mufflers. the 10% is about right.

I will install maybe a bit later another resonator but findind the best place too put it would be a bit harder. For now I have too many suspsnsion problem. I'll report back with an update.
I know you told me! Good thing about mine is that my 5" is in the test pipe location and the 7" is in the rear, which leave plenty of room for a resonator in the front of the CBE if it comes to that.

Polo, do you have a tubular manifold or stock-cast unit?

Honestly, I'm hoping for now that once I fix my massive exhaust leak and replace my cracked tubular manifold with a stock cast manifold, that will make a difference as well. I do plan on reporting back.

The insane thing about it is that I have heard a GT35R, tubular manifold, TEST PIPE, SINGLE BULLET BUSCUR that is less than HALF as loud as mine is right now. As a matter of fact, the owner of that car said that if he had mine he would have sold it by now because of the noise.

So I'm basing my opinion on how quiet it should be not only on BluEVOIX's experience, but also on the 4-5 cars I heard for myself last weekend. My car should be much quieter than it is... I'm thinking the leak and/or manifold design and materials are to blame.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
First I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, especially BluEVOIX. I'm willing to bet my setup isn't much quieter than the OP's even though I'm using a stock housing turbo. DC Sports downpipe/test pipe (one piece) into Greddy Ti catback (full titanium, not TI-C). I never minded it until I drove 1500 miles in a little over 24 hours. Never again.

Unlike BluEVOIX, I don't need stock quiet. Just tolerable quiet. For every 100 rpm over 3000 I'm pretty sure my car gets louder exponentially. Cruising at 4000 on the highway is just brutal.

First question. Would having a 6" Magnaflow muffler welded into the test pipe while retaining my GReddy Ti make a noticeable difference? Like I said, it doesn't have to be stock quiet. Just cutting down on the drone significantly would make me a happy camper. I realize I have probably the loudest catback on the market.

Second question. If that is still too loud and I decide to replace my GReddy Ti with this...

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...0d99c620b656d6

Will that essentially be the dual Magnaflow setup you were running, BluEVOIX? For whatever reason I don't want a flapper setup and the dual muffler videos you posted seem plenty quiet.

Thanks again!
I swear that it SHOULD be quiet. However, mine is not but has major exhaust problems at the moment. I literally heard a car yesterday with a single bullet that was much quieter than mine. (yeah, it was the same car from last Saturday I rode in, he was the one who sold me the spare manifold, thanks Ali!)

I'll get those resolved and report back, but until then,
Old Apr 9, 2011, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
I know you told me! Good thing about mine is that my 5" is in the test pipe location and the 7" is in the rear, which leave plenty of room for a resonator in the front of the CBE if it comes to that.

Polo, do you have a tubular manifold or stock-cast unit?

Honestly, I'm hoping for now that once I fix my massive exhaust leak and replace my cracked tubular manifold with a stock cast manifold, that will make a difference as well. I do plan on reporting back.

The insane thing about it is that I have heard a GT35R, tubular manifold, TEST PIPE, SINGLE BULLET BUSCUR that is less than HALF as loud as mine is right now. As a matter of fact, the owner of that car said that if he had mine he would have sold it by now because of the noise.

So I'm basing my opinion on how quiet it should be not only on BluEVOIX's experience, but also on the 4-5 cars I heard for myself last weekend. My car should be much quieter than it is... I'm thinking the leak and/or manifold design and materials are to blame.
You really need to fix that leak before anything. You've already been in a car that has a less affective quieting muffler on it (bullet) and it is much quieter than yours.

Let me ask you, where is your car loud? Front of the car or rear? Fix the leaks as soon as you can to start enjoying your car more.

Quick Reply: Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.