Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get them goodies fixed and post a vid clip when done. I want to hear it in comparison to my new magnaflow setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXeEAoMvn9o
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
BluEVOIX or Aby@Mil.Spec,

Do you think it would have been better for FERNO to use an Oval Muffler at the rear instead of the Round one he used? I was under the impression that the Ovals would quiet things down better. Possibly dur to more muffler packing on the sides?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9227989

Might be a while before the next update.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

I told you that you had an exhaust leak! It made absolutely no sense why your car was still loud with everything you did to it without having a major exhaust leak.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by edogg23
I told you that you had an exhaust leak! It made absolutely no sense why your car was still loud with everything you did to it without having a major exhaust leak.
So that means the op had a major leak and didn't know? Wow. Clarify the thread up some bits for me please. thanks
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
So that means the op had a major leak and didn't know? Wow. Clarify the thread up some bits for me please. thanks
Yeah he said he found out he had a big crack in his manifold.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

LOL That sucks. Hope he gets it fixed asap!
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

You did? Missed that. I know someone else in here suspected THEY had a leak a few days ago, but if you told me, thanks!

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
Major to me. Crack in the manifold and bolt broken on the manifold outlet. Not sure how much of a difference this would make, but yeah, keep in mind the car is 10x louder at 4k than it is at idle. I only heard it after dropping the tailpipe loudness by 5db, then you could hear the telltale "tick".

Yeah he said he found out he had a big crack in his manifold.
Let's not forget the broken bolt.

As an aside, I got the manifold down outlet loose again, so the car is "in progress" again.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
You did? Missed that. I know someone else in here suspected THEY had a leak a few days ago, but if you told me, thanks!

Major to me. Crack in the manifold and bolt broken on the manifold outlet. Not sure how much of a difference this would make, but yeah, keep in mind the car is 10x louder at 4k than it is at idle. I only heard it after dropping the tailpipe loudness by 5db, then you could hear the telltale "tick".

Let's not forget the broken bolt.

As an aside, I got the manifold down outlet loose again, so the car is "in progress" again.
If one bolt is broke on the exhaust manifold and hotside location than thats ok it will still seal with 3/4 torqued down. Just remember dont torque it too tight, it doesnt need to be really tight at that location. It took 2 broken cross threaded bolts and nuts for me to learn my lesson.

Update us asap.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
If one bolt is broke on the exhaust manifold and hotside location than thats ok it will still seal with 3/4 torqued down. Just remember dont torque it too tight, it doesnt need to be really tight at that location. It took 2 broken cross threaded bolts and nuts for me to learn my lesson.

Update us asap.
Thanks for the advice. I've already tagged the torque spec thread for later.

So now I know... rear of the manifold outlet is two studs. It wasn't a broken bolt, it was a stripped stud. not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I'll be getting the part from .

Now the only problem is how the hell to get the manifold off over the studs. I pushed down on the turbo and got those two studs to clear, but it's too much angle on the manifold to pull it off the studs.

What a pain in the ***.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

^ Isn't easier to just take the whole unit off?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I hear, but I can't imagine that to really be the case. Looks like I may find out though...

Right now, I'm taking a break. I tear stuff up when I get aggravated, so as much as I want to pull one of those all nighters you read about where the guys wrenched all night to get the car ready for the next day, I decided to call it a night and fix leftover pizza and have a beer.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
Thanks for the advice. I've already tagged the torque spec thread for later.

So now I know... rear of the manifold outlet is two studs. It wasn't a broken bolt, it was a stripped stud. not sure what I'm going to do about that, but I'll be getting the part from .

Now the only problem is how the hell to get the manifold off over the studs. I pushed down on the turbo and got those two studs to clear, but it's too much angle on the manifold to pull it off the studs.

What a pain in the ***.
I know what you mean. But you have a different turbo than OEM. With the oem turbo I was able to maneuver it while having someone yank on the turbo from underneath. But on the FP HTA green, there aren't any studs, just bolts and makes life so much easier.

Try having someone tug on the turbo from under the car as you maneuver the exhaust manifold from the top.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks bro. I'll try that. I might start on it early, because if only the top of that stud is screwed up and the flange is thinner on the stock mani I might re-use it and be able to make a local event tomorrow.

Otherwise, it will probably be off-and-on until next weekend and I'll just order two studs. I wonder if it will be ok to replace those two back studs with bolts... I'll do some searching on that after I take a look tomorrow.

Thanks again for the support. I'll keep updating.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:00 PM

Tanabe Medallion exhaust. http://www.racinglab.com/tanabe-m-to...70072-002.html

Quick Reply: Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.