Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2011, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just disconnect your wga from the waste gate if you want better fuel mileage lol.
Old May 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Well, that didn't last long. I found out that my new IX has what looks like 2 1/4 "custom" exhaust. IE, a muffler shop special with an off the shelf parts store cat.

I started driving the car a little more aggressively since getting the suspension worked on, and I found that the power fell FLAT past the 4k or so. A quick peek under the car showed step down, all welded, GARBAGE.

So I went to the local cars n' coffee meet this morning and found out that one of the guys was selling his Tanabe Medalion Touring. This is one of the exhausts I heard at last month's meet, and I actually heard this EXACT exhaust. Anywhoo, he gave me a deal on it with a HFC to replace my mufflershop special... so now I just need a stock downpipe for a bolt on flow improvement, with a minimal noise increase.

I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up and tuned. Will I make 400whp with it? No, but I should still be able to hit ~330 with it without it being the bottleneck. So the saga continues...
Old May 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Why a stock dp? I didn't notice the exhaust getting any louder with the dp. The stock piece is crush bent and pretty ugly inho. lol :P
Old May 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63punk
Why a stock dp? I didn't notice the exhaust getting any louder with the dp. The stock piece is crush bent and pretty ugly inho. lol :P
Talk to me bro! What do I need?

I know it's ugly, but it supports up to high-300's whp and has the heat shields, etc. Plus, I think I can get one used for like $20.

The local guys who have this exhaust have told me they could tell a difference when adding a downpipe, specifically a Tanabe downpipe.
Old May 7, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

lol If you have a "crappy" exhaust right now, just get the oem units to replace. I'm not sure about what mods you have right now so I can't tell you much. hahah :P
Old May 7, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

I have a Cobb catback in Chicagoland area for anyone looking for a quieter system. Used. $375 pickd up. PM me.

Free bump for a great thread! lol
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Two cars. Three Mufflers. Two different builds.

The saga is finally at an end.

Wicked White IX, with Megan Downpipe, Ultimate Racing 3" Cat, Tanabe Medalion Touring CBE.

QUIET at last, and big difference in seat-of-the-pants from my garbage exhaust a couple posts up. It is louder than stock, but COMPLETELY acceptable. It actually puts a huge grin on my face, and I am no longer worried about my wife riding with me because of the noise.

All in all, it's good-to-go. Thanks for the input everyone!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FERNO
Two cars. Three Mufflers. Two different builds.

The saga is finally at an end.

Wicked White IX, with Megan Downpipe, Ultimate Racing 3" Cat, Tanabe Medalion Touring CBE.

QUIET at last, and big difference in seat-of-the-pants from my garbage exhaust a couple posts up. It is louder than stock, but COMPLETELY acceptable. It actually puts a huge grin on my face, and I am no longer worried about my wife riding with me because of the noise.

All in all, it's good-to-go. Thanks for the input everyone!
Do you have upgraded motor mounts?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

They aren't solid for sure. I'm 99% sure they are stock, but I'll have to check.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, I see I never mentioned this... and I could've sworn I had.

The new owner on my black car that started all this said he and his friend found that the OIL PUMP was slightly out of phase, causing hellish noise and vibration. That may have been the cause of it all, but unfortunately I never heard it after the fix, so I am unable to confirm.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

bump...

FERNO, I'm switching out my Greddy EVO2 and was contemplating this CBE. Hell I'm 35 with 1 kid and 1 on the way. I still do love to roll down the windows in the summer, turn off the radio and listen to the wonderful sounds from my car. So my question to you is how's the sound quality? Is it still loud enough to enjoy?