Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
OMG not even comparable I would love to have that exhaust. SOO MUCH quieter.

Yes Magnaflow 6" in place of test pipe and 7" round also in plce of the big Greddy can. I'ts stamped very big on there muffler so yws it's twin MAgnaflow.

Full setup:

SST ported turbo, 02 housing megan, DP Megan racing, Cams HkS 264/272.
NO exhaust leak to speak of. My mechanic as one of the fastest auto 4G63 :
#12 Serge Turcotte 8.471 169.02 5.576 132.48 1.406 GT42R No F. Villeneuve

He is a top builder and welder I assure you no leaks. He even said after we started the car up, ohh thats still loud....

We cut the two flanges from the Greddy exhaust and welded the 6" Magnaflow muffler in place of the Megan TP and did the same with the back muffler with the " Muffler.

The Greddy is full stainless and he said that stainless would be louder??
The Greddy CB as even like I said a small resonator in the back portion of the exhaust.
I don't know why mine is so much louder that yours with almost the same component.

Just trying too help anybody that's going that route with the SAME mods as me.

Is it the small cams?, Stainless GReddy Cb?, I just don't know but willing to try maybe later another Muffler even with less performance to have a quiet cabin.
My exhaust was also complete 304 stainless steel system but it was a slip fit design.

I dont know what to say, maybe the cam's in your car are the culprit to the loudness??

Here is pics of my exhaust system uninstalled and installed:

Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was it quieter with a bit more time? Running rich leaves quite a bit of residu in thoses big cans.

Were did you get the VT and part number if you can help. Is the VT with a flapping door? Sorry didn't read too much about it already but will...
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Was it quieter with a bit more time? Running rich leaves quite a bit of residu in thoses big cans.

Were did you get the VT and part number if you can help. Is the VT with a flapping door? Sorry didn't read too much about it already but will...
Everything you need to know about the DynoMax VT muffler.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-muffler.html

Quick notes from there:
-Early versions rattled, new versions dont.
-After market cam cars WILL rattle! Especially if your an EvoVIII . The IX's might slightly get away with smooth idling cams and tune.
-If OEM cams and revised version then expect to be 99% OEM like quiet during normal driving.

But the VT muffler is off topic for this thread.

To answer your question, no it did not get more quiet over time. It was from day 1 as you see in the video.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Here are the exhausts and combinations I have had, in order of quietness during normal driving: Scale 1-10 (10 quietest)

10. Complete stock turbo back.

9.5 Dynomax VT muffler exhaust

9.5 3" downpipe, testpipe and OEM catback

8.5 Tanabe Medallion catback with OEM cat and OEM downpipe!!

7.5 Buschur Double Magnaflow exhaust. (7" rear magnaflow and 6" center) catless

6.5 Cobb TBE exhaust (catless) (over time got a little louder, I guess packing burning up)

5.0 Buschur TBE with bullet center and vibrant widebody muffler in the rear

5.0 Buschur TBE with HFC and Magnaflow muffler

5.0 Tanabe medallion catback with 3" testpipe and downpipe

4.0 RRE stealth exhaust with 3" downpipe and testpipe.

2.0 Jun BL catback with 3" downpipe and testpipe

1.0 Buschur TBE with bullet center no muffler in the rear.
I'm now considering a combination of Tanabe Medalion Touring with a 6" Magnaflow or resonator...

Edit: CRAP. I just saw the 5.0 rating on the Medalion with dp and test pipe. I'm sure it will be insanely loud with my HFC and DP and cams.

Last edited by FERNO; Mar 17, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FERNO
I'm now considering a combination of Tanabe Medalion Touring with a 6" Magnaflow or resonator...

Edit: CRAP. I just saw the 5.0 rating on the Medalion with dp and test pipe. I'm sure it will be insanely loud with my HFC and DP and cams.
Yes dont do it. I recently heard the Tanabe Medallion with a 6" mid muffler & DP on a local evo owners car and in my opinion it was not quiet but the owner thought it was quiet enough.

Did you see my video clips I posted of the Double Magnaflow setup a page back?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Yes dont do it. I recently heard the Tanabe Medallion with a 6" mid muffler & DP on a local evo owners car and in my opinion it was not quiet but the owner thought it was quiet enough.

Did you see my video clips I posted of the Double Magnaflow setup a page back?
Yes I did. And that it exactly what told me I wanted that setup. Until...

Tell me about it...
I don't know if it's the combinaison of stainless with the twin magnaflow but it very far from quiet. I don't recommend it to anyone.
The Greddy Evo2 as even a small resonator between the TP and mufflet and it's still loud as hell.

I want to kick myself for doing it.
At least I removed my big tail pipe and painted black the rear section to help with the police.

Save your money for a quieter setup.
So now, as you can see, I'm back to square one.

A day or two ago I found out there is an excellent custom exhaust shop in Raleigh that can fab a cat-back mandrel bent. So I was just about to order the dual Magnaflows and take it there, until I read PoloTurbo's review.

Have you guys compared Magnaflow part numbers?

Edit: I just remembered why I started on other options. I have a HFC that I wanted to keep. That does not look possible. So I guess what I need is:
  1. CBE donor, ebay, used, or custom.
  2. 7" Magnaflow specs and part #
  3. 6" Magnaflow specs and part #
  4. Pipe to add 6" Magnaflow and replace HFC with.
  5. non-fouler (do I need to get the pipe above with a bung? Would it be a test-pipe w/bung or some other pipe?)

Last edited by FERNO; Mar 18, 2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'm sooooooooo pissed about it and cannot find WHY it is so loud.... Maybe my cams and my ported turbo. Maybe the stainless, maybe etc....

I'm sonsidering a big resonator with the 2 Magnaflows and the small Greddy resonator. Trying to fin a place to put it...

Everybody here said QTP but I want to be quiet even at wot.

One thing I can see is that it is quieter at WOT ONLY, than the full Greddy.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it sucks.

I was thinking about something this morning and forgot to add.

I think I remember seeing a thread where Buscur commented that the Magnaflow used in their cat-back is NOT an off-the-shelf Magnaflow. I'll see if I can find it, but that would make sense if they added extra baffles or packing or something else. They may have even gone as far as to try several different designs to see what specs had the best natural noise-cancellation on Evo's.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it sucks.

I was thinking about something this morning and forgot to add.

I think I remember seeing a thread where Buscur commented that the Magnaflow used in their cat-back is NOT an off-the-shelf Magnaflow. I'll see if I can find it, but that would make sense if they added extra baffles or packing or something else. They may have even gone as far as to try several different designs to see what specs had the best natural noise-cancellation on Evo's.
Disregard this. It was from BluEVOIX's dual magnaflow thread, and the comment was that the "bullet" muffler was not an off-the-shelf piece, not the Magnaflow.

I'm running out of time.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Disregard this. It was from BluEVOIX's dual magnaflow thread, and the comment was that the "bullet" muffler was not an off-the-shelf piece, not the Magnaflow.

I'm running out of time.
Let me put it this way. You are not trying to achieve a complete stock motor and exhaust quiet. You are just trying to make your car live-able and that wont shake the world when you start it. And I say live-able as in cops wont bother you, neighbors cant hear you in their house when you drive by outside and you can have a conversation inside the car without having to yell. However when driving normally and accelerating normally you can still slightly hear the exhaust but its very passive and doesnt over power in cabin conversations.

If the above is true then that is what the double magnaflow did for me. Only issue was, it was on OEM turbo platform ,OEM header and OEM cams. I honestly dont know how it would sound on your car but it will be well worth it to find out, because I think the odds are in your favor with this since your current setup is booming loud as you describe it to seem like.

Here is are some Buschur exhausts for sale.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/no...road-pipe.html

It says muffler in center. I dont know what muffler they have in the center. But if you want a 6" I'll give you mine to help you out.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, hah. That does not have a Magnaflow in it, or a muffler at all, in the pic in that ad.

I think I may go new BR cat-back and try to add the 6" Magnaflow where the cat is. It will be next week before I make my move, as I am off afternoons that week.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Polo, did you ever try the 6" Magnaflow center with your Evo2 catback? If not, do you think it would have been quieter than the double Magnaflow?

The reason I ask is I prefer the tip on the Evo2 [edit: because it is slash-cut, and I hear that helps with DRONE], and the price is cheaper than the BR. [edit2: but ultimately price is a million times less important than noise level]

I sold my Volks, so I'll be ordering parts SOON.

Last edited by FERNO; Mar 21, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

No never tried it. Less noise at WOT for sure in comparaison to the Megan test pipe and Greddy can. I actually like the more stealth package and even painted black the two mufflers. Just getting use to the noise...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:09 AM
Evolved Member

I just installed a Greddy Evo2 and was surprised at how quiet it is (I'm sure the built in resonater in the mid-pipe helps). It's paired with a vishnu DP and 300 Cell HFC. I had just switched from stock exhaust then went to an Evo meet and mine was definitely the quietest exhaust out there. It was quieter then a megan and B&B that I've had in the past.

It's a cheap solution as I have seen the CB exhausts sell for $250-300 used.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

No never tried it. Less noise at WOT for sure in comparaison to the Megan test pipe and Greddy can. I actually like the more stealth package and even painted black the two mufflers. Just getting use to the noise...
Ok cool. I just wonder what it would have been like with the Magnaflow test pipe and Evo2 CBE.

I'm impatient and want to get this done, but I think I'm going to talk to the local custom exhaust guru (RJ's, mandrel bending, very good reviews across several boards), and see what he will charge to just build a flanged double-Magnaflow. I won't have time to even talk to him before this weekend, so I think I'll drive over Saturday. If he has the parts and the price is reasonable, I'll probably pull the trigger. I'll be sure to update the thread.

I think at this point it is time to stop worrying about it and try it out. As much as I hate to spend the money without knowing, I think it is the only way without having the cars around to listen to them.

Quick Reply: Here we go again, quiet cat-back clarification needed.