Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oem transmission problems! 6spd IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oem transmission problems! 6spd IX

car has 35,000 miles on it. the transmission is notchy even when the cars warmed up! you practically have to force the shifter into gear on all 6 gears. sometimes the car will shift like butter, but 70-80% of the time its pretty difficult.. i know this car can shift like a dream so why wont it do it all the time!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

well, after 30k your suppose to flush and re plenish the tranny fluid.. that may help
Old Mar 7, 2011, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1

Has all regular maintenance been performed?
Are there any gears that are tougher than others?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Are you the 1st owner?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:46 PM

2nd owner, bought it at 20k miles. i think roadrace replaced all the fluids when i put in my new clutch, but im not sure.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Road Race did your clutch then yes they have replaced the fluids with Redline. Do your gears get easier when the car is warm?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mine is the same way... the synchros arent very forgiving if the revs aren't matched right.... i'm the one and only owner of my car and its been this way from day one...

when it shifts like butter... you're probably doing something like going from second to third and kinda taking your time... ie normal shifting... when the rpms drop about 1k while shifting ... ie from 3.5 to 2.5k it will feel perfect...

and if you are to fast or to lazy... shifting with the revs to high or letting the revs fall to idle it will be extremely notchy and fight you into gear...

their could be other reasons... but since you say sometimes its "butter" then i would really put money on it that its just the synchros
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:05 PM

okay so it could either be due to lousy shifting or synchros?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

not lousy... just lazy... and for what its worth.... the other day i installed the stainless clutch line... world biggest PITA... and i removed the clutch restrictor pill... most amazing thing you can do for our cars....

you may not have noticed the variable clutch engagement point... but it killed me. now the clutch is so smooth... i only mention it because it cleans up the unpredictable engagement which leads to lousy shifting
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

^How many hours did you put into that project? I've heard people talk about those clutch pills.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well when I got my first evo it had 15K on the clock and the trans wasn't broken in yet!?! A few thousand miles of some more aggressive driving and it shifted great. "notchy " isn't bad, when it starts grinding you have problems.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

well i couldnt give a exact time... i try to do large projects so that i get a lot done in one day....

i bought the line so long ago i'm not certain but i think i used ttp's clutch line... the bolt i go was the wrong size... so i just used the factory bolt instead with new copper washers... honestly if i had to do it again i would go for the full ss line that goes slave cylinder to clutch master cylinder... from STM... but good luck getting them to ship it...

if i had to guess i would say it took me about an hour and a half but i couldnt get the bolt it at first since it wasnt the right one... and the pill fell out long before i noticed... so i fished for a minute for no reason... sorry i wasnt inclined to look up at a slave cylinder dripping brake fluid... i also changed all the fluid from cheap **** to ate racing blue... aligning the cable bolt and washers all at once behind the strut tower is so hard i cant describe it... but its worth it in the end i promise you....

sorry for the high jack OP...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:41 AM

I have an se and it came with a short shifter making my shifts notchy too. If I remember correctly you have an Mr se so that might be it that you have a short shifter too.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph143
honestly if i had to do it again i would go for the full ss line that goes slave cylinder to clutch master cylinder... from STM... but good luck getting them to ship it...
Hmm? I got mine from STM no problems.

Originally Posted by blaze-619
I have an se and it came with a short shifter making my shifts notchy too. If I remember correctly you have an Mr se so that might be it that you have a short shifter too.
All 6 speeds have the same long as hell shifter. You can't even find aftermarket shifters for them, aside from works' in house unit.

To the OP, its really hard to say cause we don't know your shift habits and how much you let rpms drop, etc. But as long as you're not grinding its not bad.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
well i couldnt give a exact time... i try to do large projects so that i get a lot done in one day....

i bought the line so long ago i'm not certain but i think i used ttp's clutch line... the bolt i go was the wrong size... so i just used the factory bolt instead with new copper washers... honestly if i had to do it again i would go for the full ss line that goes slave cylinder to clutch master cylinder... from STM... but good luck getting them to ship it...
I have the same line on my Evo 8 and had no problems with the line. Just because the bolt head is a different size does not mean the banjo bolt and thread pitch doesn't fit. If memory serves me correct, the stock bolt head size is 17mm and the ttp line bolt head was 14mm but the line and banjo bolt fit perfectly. Not sure what your problem was.

Quick Reply: oem transmission problems! 6spd IX