Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Problems With Buschur Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003 | 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David, I have your turbo back exhaust and just having all kinds of rattles no matter how many times I adjust it. I was wondering if you can take a picture of what you mean when you say "The hanger on the cat back pipe HAS to be behind that rubber hanger". I'm just having a hard time believing it because I have the catback pipe hanger in front of the rubber hanger and the tip of the muffler is just flush perfect with my bumper. If I move it behind the rubber hanger(closer to the back bumper), the tip would stick out at least an inch. I dont know, I've installed many turbo back exhaust and can normally determine how an exhaust can be installed without directions but this time it's got me going nuts. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2003 | 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
David can I purchase the spacers for the 2 tie bars ??

Originally posted by davidbuschur
The cat back pipe is close to the rear differential. It is a very easy problem to fix. The hanger on the cat back pipe HAS to be behind that rubber hanger. Also when you bolt the cat back pipe to it simply pull it over so you have about a fingers thickness between the two and then tighten that hanger to the rubber hanger on the car very tight. This will keep it there no problem.

As for the tie bars. We actually quietly re-designed the downpipe a month or so ago. We were able to get rid of a weld joint in the pipe and make it so in 99% of the cars the spacers weren't needed at all. In other cars the spacers are only needed on the rear tie bar.

Whatever we can do to help, let me know. The system does fit correctly, just a matter of getting it all there.

Super glad to hear most of you aren't having troubles and all of you are happy with the power. It's light isn't it!?

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 18, 2003 | 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Our EVO is down in a "liftless" bay right now having some AEM work on it. I can't get pictures of that hanger. It DOES go behind the rubber hanger. If it isn't behind the hanger it will for SURE hit the rear diff. This improper install put the bends in the wrong location, know what I mean? The muffler is designed to stick out slightly past the rear bumper. The stock tip sat in a little and caused the bumper to turn black, I wanted to eliminate that problem. You can more than likely just slide the muffler further onto the cat back pipe to let it sit flush if that is what you want.

As for the stainless spacers they come with our system. The older systems came with 5 for each tie bar mounting point, the new ones come with just 3 as we changed the downpipe design to not hit.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 18, 2003 | 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Posted befor on other thread and dont want to say Buscher dosnt make good stuff , they do . I had a prob with my 3' tb fitting right . UPS bent up the DP hangers thats it , EVERY thing just fell into place no more prob's !!! I realy LOVE the sound/performance of buscher tb w/magnaflow !!
Old Dec 21, 2003 | 04:44 PM

fittment issues with BR exhaust

I just installed the Buschur 3 inch turboback exhaust. Let me point out the good and bad parts of the install. First off, UPS must be trying to compete with American Tourister (remeber the luggage commercials with the ape jumping on your luggage). I had 3 holes ripped in my box resulting in a 1/2 inch dent in my muffler, dents in the ends of all of my other pipes (except cat-back). This meant I spent about an hour of fun metal working to get the dents out and get the system to slip together (none of the pieces would slip together prior to fixing). Then myself (not very talented) and 4 other very talented mechanics tryed to install the exhaust on a lift. Downpipe = peice of cake. Only problem is that the downpipe bolts much each be tightened only a little bit at a time or it will cause the downpipe to move to one side of the other. This is very important because you only have about 1/8th of an inch gap between the oil pan and the tranny. I think that some sort of heat shielding material should have come with the kit to put on the oil pan. High flow cat = really easy. Cat-Back = pain in the butt. The last mandral bend must have been excessive as it caused mayhem trying to keep the muffler off of the bumper. We actually had to heat this last bend and slowly bend the Cat-Back where is was supposed to be. Also, the Hanger system for the Cat-Back and muffler had to be modified (it was allowing way too much side to side movement, causing the muffler to migrate towards the passenger side bumper and hit the bearing journal for the driveshaft). We purchased a larger bolt for the cat back hanger to limit side to side movement and a pcv valve grommet (which we placed over the end of the muffler rubber hanger to further limt side to side movement). Finally, nothing we could do could keep the Cat-Back exhaust from hitting the driveshaft bearing journal. So we carefully ground away about 3/16 of an inch from it (won't hurt the structure if you don't get carried away) and it finnally fits right. Slip joints with band clamps kick butt. Absolutely no leaks!

Let me just say that not all of this is Bushcur's fault. There exhaust is soo huge that there just isn't much room for error. Also, every car is different. If the engine is off just 1/16 off on its mounts, this distance will really be magnified over the whole length of the exhaust. But if you want an exhaust that really performs, you will have to make sacrifices. UPS didn't help things. I do think the last bend in the Cat-back was a little much though. If I was too do it again, I would spend the extra green and get the non-JDM sytle muffler. It would allow much more room for error.

Now the the performance. This thing is incredible. The car runs soo much better. It pulls hard all the way to redline with no hesitation. I know it is making power because my father-in-law followed me 120 miles to my house for the weekend in his WRX and I pulled away from him much easier (before our cars were nearly identical). Also, an NSX wanted to have a go on the highway. I pulled past him very easily (about as fast as I could pull away from mustang GT's when I was stock). The other advantage of this system is it has to lean out your a/f ratio's. I know that a lot of respectable tuners might argue otherwise, but my car now blows No black smoke. Before, it was a huge cloud. Overall performance is incredible. Sounds wicked! Hope this helps some of you trying to fit your exhausts.

Gumpy
Old Dec 21, 2003 | 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

Update....

Well Saturday I went to Turbo Trix to get my exhuast properly installed. They put it up on a lift and could NOT get it to fit. SO they pulled it off, and cut even more off the catback. Result, it fit, butnow the DP is hitting the Tie bars, which I DO NOT have spacers for, So just waiting for them to get them installed and there should be no fitment issues.

Thanks David for the spacers, Mach V DID NOT include them.
Old Dec 21, 2003 | 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have miss place the spacers , is there a way that you can sell me just the spacers for the front low tie bars ?
thanks ..