Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

average life of an exedy clutch

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
average life of an exedy clutch

It seems as is my evo clutch may b done again, the clutch seems to b slipping in 1st-4th gear, I call ams yesterday n thats what they seem to think as well, I just had them replace the stock one after 56000 mi 2.5 yrs ago with an exedy stage 2 they told the average life in one of these is about 2 yrs but I always thought that was if u take ur car to the track a lot or abuse the clutch too much, ever since they replace it I have never taken my car to the track one single time, and most of the miles I have put on it ever since r highway miles, could it b the clutch so soon again? also should I go again with a exedy stage 2 or diff one any sugg? my mods r pretty mild bolt on ones, borla exhaust, hks racing suction intake, gfb blow off valve, megan header, ams manual boost controller set at 20 psi, n apexi turbo timer, ams front mount, stock turbo,cams etc. Could the fact that I have never had my car tuned other than a base flash from ams have anything with the clutch being gone so soon? any ideas out there? tnx a lot.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Organic clutches last the longest as long as you don't beat them.

Cerametallic clutches have significantly less life even when babied.

Finding a happy medium is difficult

*My exedy twin lasted 30k hard miles, which was 3 yrs for me* Rebuilding however resulted in everything new but the flywheel and pressure plate...

My recommendation for you would be an ACT Organic clutch, as long as you plan on keeping mods the samefor the life of the clutch(should be alot more than the exedy).

Last edited by 8UpUrV8; Mar 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should give the ACT clutches a try if you don't drive your car hard. HDSS is what I chose but I launch the crap out of it and it holds fine.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I beat the living $hit out of my twin and it lasted me 30k miles twice. First time brand new, 2nd time with new plates.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:59 AM

tnx 4 the input guys, the only other mods I am planning for my car are complete ams ic piping with ams small battery kit, and aem uego gauge as well as aem oil press gauge, and also either a hks or any other decent electronic booost controller, do u guys have any idea where I can look up for those act clutches at a decent price? again tnx a lot any input is greatly appreciated.