Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weird issues with the car today... need opinions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011 | 06:35 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Navy

Weird issues with the car today... need opinions

Today I was driving to Orlando and the car began to missfire badly, and at approximatly the same time the AEM Digital 150 psi oil pressure gauge began to read irratically. Pulled off the highway and the car sounded like a suby. Turned the car off and checked the coils to make sure everything was secure, good to go. I then begin checking out the oil pressure gauge, it is getting a good soldered power and grounding point, the connector to the sensor is secure and the -3AN line running from the sensor to the oil filter housing is secure and not leaking, oil level is perfect. I was at a loss, and figure I may have a corrupt ROM, so I flashed a stock rom on the car, let it sit a bit, then flashed my tuned rom back on the car. Fired up the car and it is running like a top again, but the oil pressure gauge is still acting up. 10 miles down the road, the oil pressure gauge begins reading normal again (30 psi at idle and 80-85 psi at cruise) and didn't act up anymore on the 2.5 hour drive back...

If you guys have any ideas or reasons this would happen out of the blue and then seemingly go away please let me know!

**Cliffs**
Car missfiring badly
Oil Pressure gauge reading irratically
pull off and flash new rom, car runs great, oil pressure gauge still weird
10 miles down the road, gauge is reading normal again...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Mar 12, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011 | 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

either bad gauge, or loose connection??....you sure the wiring isnt touchin somethin and shortin on either power or ground side...??
Old Mar 12, 2011 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
either bad gauge, or loose connection??....you sure the wiring isnt touchin somethin and shortin on either power or ground side...??
positive, my AEM wideband and AEM boost gauge are all running off the same power and ground point... they didn't have any issue... my best guess is something screwy with the sender...
Old Mar 13, 2011 | 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Have you looked under the driver's side kick panel?
Old Mar 13, 2011 | 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Any codes triggered in the ECU. P0300?? Not sure if still on stock ECU or not
Old Mar 13, 2011 | 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Missfires never came back so I am chalking it up as a corrupt rom... I flashed it first thing in the morning and it was a little colder than usual. However I did check the plugs, they looked good. I also popped all the connectors off my COP and filled each pin position with dielectric grease again. Also one thing to note, the screw-on tip of the spark plug that goes into the coil was loose on all the plugs...

As for the sensor, I rerouted it a little today and popped the connector off and filled it with dielectric grease, no problems yet...