Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP71HTA installed today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP71HTA installed today

The turbo came in the mail last week and I have been waiting for parts to trickle in. Finally this weekend I broke down and installed the FP71HTA. I did not get any options on it at all. I simply needed a turbo to replace my failing stock evo9 unit.

Currently the old evo9 turbo was dumping oil into my intercooler and intake. Alot of oil...over half a quart of oil loss in 100-150 miles of driving. I have a new AMS FMIC on the way. I recently installed AMS UICP and LICP and a Tial BOV. I am having a very low vacuum problem at idle and cruise. So I need to troubleshoot that. But one thing at a time. The whole intake was a mess so I have basically replaced it all. I may have to remove the intake mani and TB to clean all that crap out of it.

Anyways....onto the mods on the car. I know everyone will ask (even after its all listed)

AMS 2.0
SBR Stg III head
BC springs and retainers
JUN 264 in/ex
Fidanza cam gears
AMS UICP/LICP
FP71HTA turbo
Tial Q BOV
JIC TBE w TP
Cusco twin disc clutch
AMS front engine mount insert
AEM EMS SD

there is more I am probably forgetting but thats about it.

stock evo9 on the left, new FP71 on right

close up of FP71

my turbo graveyard (VIII and XI turbos all parts req svc)
Attached Thumbnails FP71HTA installed today-fp71hta-install-001.jpg   FP71HTA installed today-fp71hta-install-003.jpg   FP71HTA installed today-fp71hta-install-009.jpg   FP71HTA installed today-fp71hta-install-011.jpg   FP71HTA installed today-fp71hta-install-013.jpg  

Old Mar 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out

Nice looking setup you have there! Its kinda funny seeing the VIII turbo next to the IX in the last pic, makes it look like a baby never had one side by side before.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is the 71hta a new turbo? i looked on fp's site and could only find the 68hta (white) and the 73hta (green)

edit: i found it searching on google http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Turbo-Upgrade

Last edited by evo8426; Mar 12, 2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8426
is the 71hta a new turbo? i looked on fp's site and could only find the 68hta (white) and the 73hta (green)
It's in the turbo upgrade section...

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Turbo-Upgrade
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i didnt think to look in the upgrade section, i checked on google and a thread on this site turned up with the link
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Wow I'm having the low vac prob too!!! I thought it was a leak... I just checked. Found one, fixed it but it didn't help... Let me know what u come up with please...
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Curious to see your results. Looks like quite the deal for $650.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wizechef
Wow I'm having the low vac prob too!!! I thought it was a leak... I just checked. Found one, fixed it but it didn't help... Let me know what u come up with please...
Well...I am probably going to take off the throttle body and clean it. The intake system was all sludged up from the oil running through it. Maybe the IAC is crapping out or the little passages are clogged. I will also be doing a boost leak check and hopefully I can test the intake mani gasket as well. Of course my last resort is going to be the compression test and leak-down test. The only reason I am doing that last is I dont have either piece of test equipment and if there is low compression or internal ring damage....it will be severely disappointing..again.

So actual numbers and a tune may be a while off. It all depends. If the gine is shot....I have a spare block, BR racing spec .020 over JE pistons and Carrillo rods. I will just have to build another engine...this time by myself as I have no money left to pay a shop to assemble the bottom end like I did with this one.

If anyone has any suggestions after that or regarding this situation...please help. I know the real health of the engine will come from the two tests I cant perform. I have a buddy with the comp tester but no leak down test kit.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did the process of getting this turbo go? Did you send in a IX turbo and it is upgraded, and if so what is upgraded, or how does the process work and how long was the wait time?

Looking forward to tuning and dyno results!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

^^I paid the core charge and had it shipped immediately. 3-4 days shipping time. FP had some of these ready to go on the shelves on a first come basis. I assume they would upgrade and rebuild your IX turbo if you sent it in for this. Course..you need to call them and ask.

At the moment I still have my ix turbo and I am considering keeping it to send in for rebuild into a red or black next year.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

what kind of warranty does this turbo carry? i know what FP's new turbo warranty is, but what about for this one since its a rebuild?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks good.

so tell me, with all those mods, your still running the oem o2 housing?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Looks good.

so tell me, with all those mods, your still running the oem o2 housing?
...was. I installed a sheetmetal housing I had laying around for almost three years. For some reason I didnt like the idea of not having the support bracket on it. But...it is coated like my mani and my old dual flapper 10.5hs (which has the tell-tale cracks on the inner ring) so I decided I should throw it on.

A big problem for me is tuning. I had it tuned a long time ago but it isnt set up as well as I would like. So I end up having to tune it myself and it seems every time the money comes up to go out of state for a good tune another part breaks.

As of now...depending on the low vacuum issue. BTW I have yet to do the boost leak check. I have been working on this car every weekend now for almost two months. It gets old. On the bright side...I have taken this stupid car apart so many times that there is almost never a stuck bolt or broken stud anymore. Antisieze is your friend.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting thread. I never would have known about this if you hadn't posted it thanks. FP doesn't offer much technical information on their site about what the specific intended benefits of this upgrade are. What do you want/expect from it? Would love to see a dyno graph when you have it installed and running.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Very interesting thread. I never would have known about this if you hadn't posted it thanks. FP doesn't offer much technical information on their site about what the specific intended benefits of this upgrade are. What do you want/expect from it? Would love to see a dyno graph when you have it installed and running.
I pretty much found it by accident too. Considering with my 2.0L, 264 cams and basic bolt-ons....I am after a street machine with quick spool and 300-400whp.

I know...can be done on stock turbo...stock bottom.....good tune....yada yada. Circumstance built this engine and more than anything at this point it should be a strong auto-x car. Not really into 1/4 mile and i would love to get into HPDE stuff. Just need to get the reliablity sorted.

Quick Reply: FP71HTA installed today