Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is this "Serious"?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this "Serious"?

Hi,
will it be a very serious problem when there is sign of oil leak at the engine top gasket area below the intake manifold?

The ride was just rebuilt 6 months ago and now notice oil stains along the top gasket area...

Will it effect the engine compression and performance?

My car just dont sound furious as it used to be...

What should i do?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Were head studs were used?
Were they installed with the head off?
If ARP was motor oil or the moly lube used for install?
What were the torqued to?
Were they retorqued after heat cycling as per manufactuers specs?
Old Mar 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The more descriptive you are the better results we can give. Could be head gasket from doing head studs with head still on but seems like the engine was rebuilt and figured that would have been done while it was apart. You need to list your mods, are you all stock or running more boost? I started getting a misfire randomly under high load and it would come and go, took a spark plug out and saw a puddle of oil on top of the piston. Took the engine apart for other reasons and saw oil pouring out of the intake port and the one cylinder was coated with oil. It's from running more boost and having the work I have done but mainly from not having an oil catch can in the intake which will benefit even a stock engine and mine is 6k miles fresh. Could be as simple as a bad pcv valve, and the oil is leaking out of the intake gasket, the stock pcv valves supposedly suck from day one. I just got some Saikou Michi catch cans and a krank vent (inline pcv valve) to fix my issue. You might be having the same issue or could be from the head gasket, or could be from the valve cover gasket. Instead of guessing, clean it off with brake cleaner or whatnot, get a DYE you put in the oil, drive it enough so it leaks, and use a special UV flashlight and the oil will glow and will show where its leaking from.

Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Were head studs were used?
Were they installed with the head off?
If ARP was motor oil or the moly lube used for install?
What were the torqued to?
Were they retorqued after heat cycling as per manufactuers specs?
Hi, yes im using acl head studs and no my mech didnt re-torque the studs after heat cycling...

Will it be necessary to dismantle the head again?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by My03evo
The more descriptive you are the better results we can give. Could be head gasket from doing head studs with head still on but seems like the engine was rebuilt and figured that would have been done while it was apart. You need to list your mods, are you all stock or running more boost? I started getting a misfire randomly under high load and it would come and go, took a spark plug out and saw a puddle of oil on top of the piston. Took the engine apart for other reasons and saw oil pouring out of the intake port and the one cylinder was coated with oil. It's from running more boost and having the work I have done but mainly from not having an oil catch can in the intake which will benefit even a stock engine and mine is 6k miles fresh. Could be as simple as a bad pcv valve, and the oil is leaking out of the intake gasket, the stock pcv valves supposedly suck from day one. I just got some Saikou Michi catch cans and a krank vent (inline pcv valve) to fix my issue. You might be having the same issue or could be from the head gasket, or could be from the valve cover gasket. Instead of guessing, clean it off with brake cleaner or whatnot, get a DYE you put in the oil, drive it enough so it leaks, and use a special UV flashlight and the oil will glow and will show where its leaking from.

Hi here is my engine spec's :
2.0L
85.5 JE P
BC Rods
Oem Crank
Oem Turbo
Oem Head Gasket
Boosting 1.4 bars

I noticed that the oil is just below the intake and i believed is most likely its frm the head gasket...

What should i do now? Can i just ignore it or remove the head?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get a set of the catch cans I mentioned (not the cheapy or non baffled type) even if it's not your problem it's still a very good part that only adds to the life of the motor.

To find out where it's coming from, do what I said with the dye....Mine was having the same thing, pretty sure it was the head and not the intake but my head gasket Lookedd perfect

Could seperate the intake mani from the head and look inside and see if its leaking from intake like mine or not.

Could try torqueing the head nuts down and see if they get any tighter or not, might help, might not
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do like what the guys posted above, or since u said the engine was built 6 months ago, check and see what your warranty is with the shop that rebuilt it? which im assuming is what you did? or if you self installed the rebuilt engine do like what was posted above then report back...
good luck