Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fastest spooling Turbo on a 2.0

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
you can ignore most of the posts in here. none of these people have knowledge how fast the smaller tdo4 turbo can spool on a 4g63. I am guessing you have the 13g/tdo4 which would hit full spool just above 2000 rpm.

the best advice came from RSMIKE. and I second the advice. the TME turbo that uses the titanium exhaust wheel and magnesium compressor wheel or the TME with 15g compressor is going to be your best advice. that turbo with a 9cm exhaust housing will be far faster spooling that anything mentioned in here. it should hit full spool at 2500-2800 rpm. fully capable of your 350 FLYWHEEL target

Quoted for truth. I had a evo 8 td05 16g 9.8t rebuilt with the ti RS wheel. On the stock pipng and IC the thing was ridiculous. Classic "feels like you got rear-ended by a truck" sensation coming on boost at 2.5-3k. When I upgraded to a bigger IC and a 10.5t housing it mellowed it out a bit, but still a hoot (HKS 264s helped too). Party was over by 5k though.

Currently I'm running the HKS turbo 274/278 combo and it makes a lot more power but hits nothing like the little TME. The advantage is I built the motor, run a ton more boost and can wring it out up top now.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 05:33 AM

we have not tried to write on the oem ecu but a friend of mine has a lot eperence about it and has made some evo 8 / 9 and my Evo Wagon GT-A. So i hope he will have access to the oem ecu.

What HP do you drive and will the drivetrain hold up or is it weaker than an evo ?

does anybody knew where i could get a FP White with a smaller housing ?

and are there really gains in spool up time ?

as i have find out there re only 50- 100 rpm sooner spool is that right ?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HHIX
....does anybody knew where i could get a FP White with a smaller housing ?....are there really gains in spool up time ?... i have find out there re only 50- 100 rpm sooner spool is that right ?
You can order a new White directly from Forced Performance. FP can set it up for you with any one of the three turbine housing sizes(10.5, 9.8, or 9.0). Otherwise, you can search for a used White here in the EvoM classifieds. You should be able to find a used 9.8cm housing on here as well.

If my memory serves me well the FP White is configured with a stock sized turbine wheel so any unaltered stock turbine housing should just be a bolt on fit without any need to cut the housing internally. Maybe I am wrong though.

Spoolup difference between a 10.5 and a 9.8 housing is somewhere between 200-400 RPM. I didn't like the 9.0 housing and prefer the 9.8. The 9.0 produced somewhat higher EGT's and lower peak power than the 9.8 housing. At least this was the case in my personal experience.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

42r
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 03bbyevo
why bother switchin out the turbo with that power goal? Just focus on opening up your intake and exhaust tract to get that turbo breathing well... maybe port the exhaust mani/hotside/02 housing and then go e85. That'll give you what your looking for and the boost response will be tough to beat.
BBY FTW
I agree with this guy, why sepnd extra cash for such a low goal?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thecrossup2323
BBY FTW
I agree with this guy, why sepnd extra cash for such a low goal?
I agree with the above two guys. If you were to go from a stock VIII turbo to either a JDM VIII RS turbo, or the TME turbo you really won't see much if any gain in peak power. So, you've gotta ask yourself whether it is worth the time, money and effort to got through the hassle and expense for a negligible power gain.

The BBK-Lite and the FP White are nice little turbos. But, if I were after a quick spooling bolton turbo then I would do the HKS7460R, the BBK-Full, or the FP HTA Green, in that order. Rumor has it that the BBK-Full and the HTA Green will soon be available with BB centersections.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HHIX
we have not tried to write on the oem ecu but a friend of mine has a lot eperence about it and has made some evo 8 / 9 and my Evo Wagon GT-A. So i hope he will have access to the oem ecu.

What HP do you drive and will the drivetrain hold up or is it weaker than an evo ?

does anybody knew where i could get a FP White with a smaller housing ?

and are there really gains in spool up time ?

as i have find out there re only 50- 100 rpm sooner spool is that right ?
Okay, than the first problem Ecuflash can not write the Outlander turbo ! The Ecuflash beta with the Open Port 2.0 cable read out but the writing task is bad because the checksum errors and you will brick the ecu !!! I did that and only with luck, and lot of help from Colby and Acamus to start up the car again after 3 weeks !!

When I first tuned the Outlander with the stock turbo and 2.5" exhaust system we have to do it with Ecutek for lot of money Than upgrade to evo 9 turbo, Evo 9 metal bov, evo 8 mr cams, o2 house,walbro 255 pump, Subaru 2.0 JDM STi 550ccm injectros ( you have to upgrade the stock 450ccm and need high impadence one because no resistor pack !!! ) and evo complete front mount cooler kit and tuned the car on dynodynamics with ecutek. I have the tuned Ecutek ecu for sale because we are on Evo 8 ecu and non electric throttle body and special engine harness because the future plan is the 2.4 engine and big turbo setup.
First find out how will you tune your Ecu ! But take care with your ecu so rare and lot of headache if your brick it !

You can write any evo 6-10 but the Outlander turbo not because the different ecu ! Similiar as in the Lancer 2.4 AUDM The Outlander turbo onwers are waiting for ecuflash long time ago

Drivetrain : clutch is the weakest point.. with the evo 9 turbo holding until 500km The gearbox is near the same, the transfercase is watercooled but same as the non acd ayc US evo 8 . Rear and front differential is open so no lsd but you can upgrade it !
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Nvm...

Last edited by 95630706; Mar 20, 2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously they're not yet proven and not a stock bolt on, but I expect great things from the new Borg Warner EFR's. The spool king of the bunch would be the 6255. .64 A/R

Compressor Features
* Low inertia, Forged Billet Aluminum Compressor Wheel w/ Extended Tip Technology (ETT) provides the ultimate in response & extreme durability in high pressure applications.
* Speed sensor mounting provisions
* Built In BOV Included (All EFR compressor housings incorporate an integrated BOV)
* Boost Control Solenoid Included
Compressor Specs
* Compressor Wheel Inducer: 49.6mm
* Compressor Wheel Exducer (OD): 62mm
* Max Flow Rate: 44 lb/min
* Housing: 2.5" inlet, 2.0" hose coupler outlet.
Turbine Features
* Gamma-Ti turbine wheel cuts turbine inertia up to 50%, dramatically improving turbo response & permitting high rotational speeds.
* Solid Stainless Steel Investment Cast thin wall turbine housing for extreme durability, huge weight reductions & lowered thermal inertia. Very smooth internal channels promote peak flow.
* Adjustable Internal wastegate actuator Included (internal wastegated units only)
* Large internal wastegate ports handle the flow requirements of high performance engines. (internal wastegated units only)
Turbine Specs
* Turbine Wheel OD: 55mm
* Available Housing Option #1: T25 Inlet, 3" (92mm OD) V-band downpipe discharge w/ Internal Wastegate
Center Section
* Dual Row Ceramic Ball Bearing Design (extreme durability & the lowest friction / fastest spooling bearing design produced to date)
* Built-in -4 AN oil control orifice included (no restrictor needed)
* Water-cooled ( water-cooling is recommended but not mandatory)
* Double seals on both turbine and compressor end for extreme durability & resistance to oil seepage
http://www.himni-racing.com/index.ph...oducts_id=2026
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

This looks promising indeed.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Compressor flow is only 44lbs/min though.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Compressor flow is only 44lbs/min though.
Comparable to early evo turbos and capable of 350hp but dual BB and superior design. In theory it should outspool them and have dramatically improved transient response, with ball bearing reliability.

You can always size up a little in that turbo family if you want more flow but I would assume you'll sacrifice a little spool. This is their smallest offering.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Mar 20, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know...It looks nice on paper. I can see that a lower mass turbine wheel should improve rate of spool. But, independently of rate of spool, transient response isn't necessarily directly related to low mass.

Sometimes a high inertia and low back pressure design might result in better transient response than a low mass/ high back pressure design. Because the high inertia low back pressure design should maintain higher rotational shaft velocity.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I don't know...It looks nice on paper. I can see that a lower mass turbine wheel should improve rate of spool. But, independently of rate of spool, transient response isn't necessarily directly related to low mass.

Sometimes a high inertia and low back pressure design might result in better transient response than a low mass/ high back pressure design. Because the high inertia low back pressure design should maintain higher rotational shaft velocity.
That makes sense. If you have more inertia you maintain the turbo's speed more so it stays spooled up once it's spooled, but low inertia would accelerate and decelerate faster. Low inertia seems like it could only help with initial spool.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah a higher mass wheel should maintain shaft speed better when you let off the throttle. Whereas, a lower mass wheel will accelerate better but it will also decelerate faster when you let off the throttle especially if backpresssure is an issue.

Quick Reply: Fastest spooling Turbo on a 2.0