Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anybody welded a universal muffler into their catbacks/mid-pipes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody welded a universal muffler into their catbacks/mid-pipes?

Hey guys,

My 3" Helix tb exhaust with test pipe and HKS 280 cams is getting to be too much noise for me. I was wondering if anybody has successfully installed a muffler onto their aftermarket exhausts/mid-pipes and, if so, which one? I want to keep the Helix muffler but just have another muffler welded on before it on the mid-pipe. On my helix catback, the mid-pipe is long and straight and I think it would be a good spot for another muffler I'm just worried about clearance issues. As another option, I was thinking about putting a Vibrant ultra-quiet resonator where the test pipe is but I don't think that alone will quiet the car down enough, hence I want to go with a muffler. Anybody care to chime in? Thanks

Fred
Old Mar 16, 2011, 07:23 PM

I'm not sure about the mid pipe area, but I had a universal muffler welded into my test pipe. It was a 6 inch diameter magnaflow straight through model I bought from eBay. No clearance issues, but I don't remember how close the exhaust gets to the drive shaft farther down stream.

This really didn't do anything to quiet it down at idle, but while cruising and accelerating it is noticeably more quiet. It actually made my exhaust sound better and got rid of the slight raspy noise I had at certain rpm.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it has been done before. theres a thread somewhere on this board with videos and pictures. i think the title had something to do with "buschur quiet exhaust" or something like that. i believe it was a buschur system with 2 mufflers. think they use magnaflow but it was extremely quiet. almost like stock
Old Mar 16, 2011, 09:11 PM

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9122
I used this muffler if I am thinking right and welded it into my exhaust where the test pipe would be took the drone out at cruise and dropped the db rating from 95 to 86 which is a huge difference to the human ear. here is a shake down run of what mine sounds like with a magnaflow duel muffler set up at wot its not loud at all best investment i made so far. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=471144265933
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prshrzd
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=9122
I used this muffler if I am thinking right and welded it into my exhaust where the test pipe would be took the drone out at cruise and dropped the db rating from 95 to 86 which is a huge difference to the human ear. here is a shake down run of what mine sounds like with a magnaflow duel muffler set up at wot its not loud at all best investment i made so far. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=471144265933
I think you need to adjust your privacy settings for us to see that video. That's the muffler that I used though. I agree that it was money well spent.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by miller121mx
I think you need to adjust your privacy settings for us to see that video. That's the muffler that I used though. I agree that it was money well spent.
I made it so everyone can see it but i think you might have to log in I will post it up in on photo bucket tonight after work and post it up here thanks, Curt
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my espelir catback, after the test pipe flange and wideband 02 sensor, I had two vibrant performance 18" preforated resonators installed to quiet it down at cruising...does a pretty good job, but when i step on it look the fu*k out haha, resonators or mufflers will reduce sound, now if you get a resonator look into preforated not louvered if you go preforated youll lose sound not flow, if you go louvered youll lose both...not much but it is a bit of a difference.
good luck