Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Post-Intake Installation Observations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003 | 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Post-K&N Typhoon Intake Installation Observations

Ok, after spending several hours on Saturday afternoon, in the freezing cold, I finally installed the new K&N Typhoon Carbon Fiber intake. Here are some observations/possible concerns I have...

First, MUST HAVE A STRONG BACK! This job put a hurtin' on me fo real!

Secondly, it was MOST definitely not as easy as I expected it would be. All hardware included with the intake seemed to match up really well, however. The instructions were damn near head on! A few time consuming things, here and there, but not too bad nonetheless.

NOW, I didn't have much of a chance since the install to run the car out in the open for a while, but here are my observations:

First, this thing is friggin loud! I used to LOVE hearing the turbo spool...thing of the past now, you can absolutely hear this intake suck some wind!

I've honestly only driven it about ten miles, max, since the install. I do have one concern...I smell gas. It seems to idle soooo much lower than the 1000 pre-install rpm's I'm used to. Also, I did push it to about 6K in second gear, and it seems to almost bog down (maybe choke out is a better description)...

My own ideas...more air=more fuel. This is what I'm sure I'm smelling, and also the cause of the 'bog'...

From here, do I give the ecu some time to adjust? Any suggestions as to where I should go from here?

Pics will be posted as soon as possible! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by camdog17; Dec 16, 2003 at 04:32 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

What is up camdog? Try to install a Boost Controller, intake, and catback in one day. Vertebra crusher.

This is not what I would have expected from just an intake upgrade. I am a little concerned about your description.

Are you smelling the gas throught your air conditioning/heat system?

The idle difference I would expect since the car is getting a different A/F ratio at idle.

The bog may be a fuel cut. What other mods do you have on the car?
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guy! This is the first mod, engine wise...he gas smell isn't horrible, I got out of the car and smelled it from the exhaust area...what's the best method of adjusting the a/f ratio?
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Probably running richer with the intake. Need a safc to adjust the a/f a little.
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by camdog17
Hey guy! This is the first mod, engine wise...he gas smell isn't horrible, I got out of the car and smelled it from the exhaust area...what's the best method of adjusting the a/f ratio?
i can only tell you what i read, but in the UK there is a company called Graham Goode. he has huge experience with turo'd cars. he recommends the first mod is to fit a decent programmable ECU. he got nearly 400 BHP from a 2.3 stroker kit and filter, exhaust etc running on a gems ECU!!!!!
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Have you double-checked all your fittings and clamps, and the MAF sensor for any minor possible damage? What you are describing is not normal for just having installed a CAI. Did you reset the ECU by disconnecting the (-) terminal on the battery for about 5 minutes (you should have done this for the install)?
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I was as thorough as I thought I could be...the MAF sensor seems alright as well...I'll check again tonight, but one note; this morning, I smelled no gas. I might reset the ecu again, but does the ecu, in fact, 'adjust' according to the change in airflow? To what extent does it adjust? Will I still need to get the a/f adjusted? If so, how?
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

you beat me to it!!! I just installed my typhoon last nite. Was a 3 hour job for me. Primarily because i couldnt find a 10mm socket. I bought the red kit. Glad i did cause the red almost exactly matches the valve cover. I dont understand why in the middle of the intake pipe, there is a large half circular restrictor piece welded in?? anyways, all the hardware was right on the money. fit was good, instructions had a few wrong pictures at the various steps. I didnt like playing with the airbag deploying solenoid. tightning the clamps were a *****. I do carbonfiber at lear jet and thought the heat shield was flimsey and unfinished on one side. I would rather have an aluminum piece. i might even make one. The small hose that plugs into some kind of pressure valve which is on top of the intake and goes to a tube on the DR side of the valve cover is too short. it is kinked and ill get a longer one tommarrow. I didnt get a chance to drive cause it was late. But i reved it a few times. When i would let off, it was caughing or somthing. Never heard that before. Also if you hold up the filter in the light, you can see pinholes of light. I hope this filter works o.k. I live is dusty AZ and dont want a dusted engine. Ill let you know how it drives. Ray
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

the coughing happened to me as well, I hate to admit it, but I actually had the stock bov 'backwards'...what a dumb, dumb...hell, with this car you almost ONLY need a 10mm socket! LOL! Keep me updated with how the car performs!
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

huhu. I was going to suggest you check the BOV... I installed mine backwards too when installing my AEM intake. It is just TOO easy to install it wrong.

If the engine still doesn't feel right, check the intake for any leaks. Silicone up anything that looks like air could get through.

Undo the battery cable and allow your ecu to reset. Bolt it back on and turn the car on and let it idle for a minute or 2. Then take it out and tear around the backroads for a few.

SC~
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks SC, I will do just that...I'll keep every1 updated...
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Before you worry too much.. I found when I first made changes to the induction (filter and air pipe) that you should either force reset the ECU and drive it for a few days.. It should relearn its baselines and help things a bit.. Then you can tune out the gremlins.. and verify the BOV isn't leaking or backwards..
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 07:54 AM
EvoM Guru

Dammit.. SC beat me to this one.. LOL
Old Dec 16, 2003 | 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

dang. how do you know if the bov is backwards????

Quick Reply: Post-Intake Installation Observations