Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

any drawback to cams

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any drawback to cams

I have been waiting to get the HKS 264/264 setup. I just want to know if anyone with cams installed has noticed any drawbacks?
Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:17 AM

The only drawback i can really think of with cams is reliability and loss of warranty.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

WOW only a warranty and reliability loss. Thats two pretty large things you'll need to think of it this is your daily driven car.

Don't forget:
- Lumpy Idle
- You'll need tuning
- Installation needs to be done right
- I'd throw some head bolts on while your in there.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Voiding your warranty is the biggest issue for most.. but Hooptie is dead on.. 264's arent that lumpy, and you won't get the most out of the cam's unless you tune for them.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Hooptie157
WOW only a warranty and reliability loss. Thats two pretty large things you'll need to think of it this is your daily driven car.

Don't forget:
- Lumpy Idle
- You'll need tuning
- Installation needs to be done right
- I'd throw some head bolts on while your in there.
LOL, yes i know its big and i didn't mean for it to come out sounding like something minor and insignificant. However, it seems like alot of people on this board will mod their car without thinking about their warranty.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

I am SO tired of this warranty crap. If you put cams in and float a valve then you are probably screwed. If you put cams in and your oil pump fails then mitsu's gopnna eat it. Anyways, the only real draw back is a lumpy idle and that's not much of a draw back if you ask me. HKS cams have been around for a long time and I've never heard of poor quality coming from them. They are perfectly reliable. The install is very important so I would only let someone you really trust work on it. I am in San Antonio and I could help you find someone as I will be having cams done in feb. I strongly recomend doing the 264/272 instead of the straight 264s. I will probably do straight 272s but i have a little bit bigger turbo. good luck!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Noticeable loss of off-idle torque (even with 264s) and more risk of failing emissions, especially since our cars are often smogged at idle where the increase in emissions is going to be the greatest.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by slowTsi
I am SO tired of this warranty crap. If you put cams in and float a valve then you are probably screwed. If you put cams in and your oil pump fails then mitsu's gopnna eat it. Anyways, the only real draw back is a lumpy idle and that's not much of a draw back if you ask me. HKS cams have been around for a long time and I've never heard of poor quality coming from them. They are perfectly reliable. The install is very important so I would only let someone you really trust work on it. I am in San Antonio and I could help you find someone as I will be having cams done in feb. I strongly recomend doing the 264/272 instead of the straight 264s. I will probably do straight 272s but i have a little bit bigger turbo. good luck!
Why 264/272 combination please tell me why because i will oredering cam very soon
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:05 AM
In Timeout

I have the 264/272's in my car and the idle is a little lumpy but no biggie, also with OBD2 they just plug in the car so no CEL = Pass. The cams are great and I would never go back to stock the car idles fine and I have no regrets. You may have to bump up the idle a little but not too much, too high an idle = CEL I know I got one. I do have the xede and he does have a map for the cams so I really don’t know what you would do with some other computer but you really cannot tell the cams are there. Also about the car warrantee if it blows up it’s your problem but I just don’t see that happening and I think people are a little to worried.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

the 264's do not have a noticeanly lumpy idle, you cant even tell i have them installed. Stock ECU, Stock Bolts, no CEL and no adjustable timing, not hard to install, all i have in adidtion are the HKS valve springs. can you say 9k redline!!! if supporting hardware would allow it.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor

i have 272/272 and my only problem is in traffic and when im trying to go really really slow---- its not gonna happen
the car keeps jerking a bit going forward
Old Dec 16, 2003, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 272/272 and I have no problems whatsoever. Its all in the proper tuning. A few guys couldn't even tell I had cams, the idle is that good. Fuel mileage is also the same under light throttle, WOT is were she destroys fuel.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

The 272 exhaust cam will ultimately flow more than the 264, obviously. and have more potential than the 264. The drawbacks will be the same with either set cam so why not go for the better flow, especially if you want to upgrade to a larger turbo down the line. Plus the straight 272s sound sick!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I heard the 264 JUNS have more lift than the 272 HKSs. You should expect rougher idle and worse fuel milage. Other than that I think you're on your way to 400BHP (crank) with proper tuning.

Dont forget about WORKs 269s as well. They offer theirs with the ECU reflash also.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Having the 264/272 combo was dscovered, used and dismissed long ago in 4G63 tuning. They create the same loss of torque as straight 272's, have less top end, and have almost identical idle, because your still getting almost the same amount of overlap. Go straight 272's if your going to bother.

264's idles like stock if you can add a few perfect more fuel at idle, and even if you can't, you need a damn fine ear to notice them.

As for JUN's vs HKS....the JUN's having more lift with a shorter duration should not affect idle unless they have more overlap(thats what causes a loss of dynamic compression at low RPM and gives you the ****ty idle)

Quick Reply: any drawback to cams