Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

With EXTREME REGRET I post this warning.......

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry to hear david .. hey wats done is done brotha the bad bish will be alive again and better then ever

at least u exposed the truth !! not like other shops bull****tin when **** goes south
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

That would make me want to get out of the game for a while ... 6,000 Down the drain... Its like playing high $$ stakes in vegas..

How long is this car going to be down ?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
after reading that 700 hp on a mustang dyno on a 2.3 stroker is not to shabby at all, my hats off to ya man you really know what your doing, now not tryin to start anything, but was on the tb plate where the screw went in, were the threads all jacked up on it, like it was over torqued and stripped the threads even with loctite on it. which tb did you have on there by the way?? just sucks to see that not only did the screw come in and damage the cylinder, but also the valvetrain and the turbine wheel on the turbo, for somethin thats the size of a penny it really fu*ked the whole area up...dave all i can say bro is you live and learn, you shuold know by now workin in the industry this long, nothin should suprise you by now...but good luck on your rebuild man, make sure you use stronger loctite if they make it .....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
That happened to the AMS time attack car a few years back. AMS posted:

The competition day on Sunday started off great, we were making adjustments to the car and were able to get our times down to 1:02:9- which is pretty damn fast (hitting 152 MPH on the front oval section!). The next car was the Top Speed Subaru Impreza GC running in the 1:05s. We were pretty comfortable heading into the 1st time attack session as in the world of racing little bit of a bad luck struck us. While flying down the front oval section at well over 150 MPH and heading into turn one where the car had to slow down to about 70 MPH, the bolts on the throttle body butterfly backed out causing the car to be stuck at wide open throttle!!! The skillful and cool headed Mark Daddio aborted the turn and continued onto the closed off oval- saving the day! Unfortunately we did not get a timed lap in on that session and the approaching rain begun to worry us as we knew we would not be able to best the 1:05 time posted by the Top Speed impreza on a wet track.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Threads on the shaft of the throttle body are perfect, seems it just backed out over time. It's one or our 65mm throttle bodies, I believe the first one we ever built. I generally get the first parts and test/run them myself. Actually now that I think about it, it is the first one we built but the plate was changed in it a few years back when we started cutting the actual shaft down too. It is what it is.....

I don't know how long it's going to be down. A few weeks at least. I ordered another crank today so I can get a long block done for it and then pull the rest of the car apart. We don't have the time or the space to bring it in now to take the engine out and get the good parts out of it. I'd love to see it ready in two weeks but that is going to depend on many things.....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

EVO8LTW, very interesting, I don't follow what other shops do much and don't ever remember seeing that. Like I said, it seems to be more common than I'd have ever thought it was.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
The AMS incident made an impression on me because it was a frightening one. As I recall Mark was also left foot braking and so couldn't just clutch in. Good thing there was an escape route!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

I could come up on a weekend and pull it out in the back bay if you wanted. I know Dan is most likely swamped and Ive always done it on my back. Let me know
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 332 Likes on 132 Posts
exact same happened to my tuner.
they now stake (punch) the bottom of the screw so they cannot mechanically unwind.
Sorry to hear Dave!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry to hear!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
psphinix, I know what to say, I WISH it would have happened to that 2.0LR you have in your car now! haha It kills me to change the engine this time! Oh well.......hopefully it's done for Winged Warrior and the Sport Compact race.
LOL no way, i own a piece of history! im glad to see youre in good spirits it seems, i would be flippin angry!

i know for one thing i will be checking mine today!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, the stories just keep coming of it happening. It's nuts I have been lucky enough to not have it happen until now. There are so many other times I wish it would have happened though!

I just pulled the throttle body off the intake. Man it's beat to hell. I'd guess multiple problems caused this. I can't tell which was first. The other screw was loose, the throttle plate is beat up badly. The shaft was lose and the snap ring on the end that holds it in was WAY out of round and no longer able to snap into the shaft, the steel washer behind the nylon washer is convex. The shaft seal on the TPS end was almost completely out of the bore.

I installed new screws, new plate, new seals, new snap ring, steel and nylon washers in it. I put Red Loctite on the screws and went over all this with Ted and Jarrod, in the future we will use Red on the threads. It's ready to go back on the intake. I may just install our fab'd intake when I put it back together. I've got enough runs/data on the stock ported intake to go from here.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow, the stories just keep coming of it happening. It's nuts I have been lucky enough to not have it happen until now. There are so many other times I wish it would have happened though!

I just pulled the throttle body off the intake. Man it's beat to hell. I'd guess multiple problems caused this. I can't tell which was first. The other screw was loose, the throttle plate is beat up badly. The shaft was lose and the snap ring on the end that holds it in was WAY out of round and no longer able to snap into the shaft, the steel washer behind the nylon washer is convex. The shaft seal on the TPS end was almost completely out of the bore.

I installed new screws, new plate, new seals, new snap ring, steel and nylon washers in it. I put Red Loctite on the screws and went over all this with Ted and Jarrod, in the future we will use Red on the threads. It's ready to go back on the intake. I may just install our fab'd intake when I put it back together. I've got enough runs/data on the stock ported intake to go from here.

i am actually pulling my TB off now. lol dave what grade lock tight do you recommend.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
never mind. i saw. red locktight. sorry.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Red Loctite should make it so it will never come out.

Quick Reply: With EXTREME REGRET I post this warning.......