Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20g or Evo 9 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
buy this one...old school greens are bulletproof

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-fp-green.html
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LancerEvo8RS
^^^ But. this means I would need an Evo 9 turbo, correct? I have an Evo 8 - hence the question
You would need to pay the core charge since you wouldn't have one to send back. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the last post!
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
Gentlemen it's all in the parts selection and how the car was wrenched. There is no magic, so look over your parts list, remove anything questionable and go from there.

Hmoney list your entire parts list on here let me see.

Sean
I couldn't agree more. For some reason, a good majority of performance consumers always look to the tuner as to "why my car is making less power then my friend's sisters cousins boyfriends fathers ex room mate".

A tuner is simply that, a tuner, not a magician. Even the absolute best tuner, as their are quite a few very good tuner vendors on the site, can not make a single whp/wtq more then what the setup they are brought is capable of. Wheather your tuner is Mr. Ivey, Mellon, Crispeed, AMS, Buschur, etc... if your car is under performing to your expectations, look to your setup or any possible small problems that may need to be fixed before using the easy way out and blame shifting your tuner.

As for opinions on what turbo to go with, I would suggest saving up a bit more for a BBK based on your budget and goals you have in mind.

Last edited by RyuEvoIX; Mar 25, 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say the Evo 9 turbo. Keep it simple. Don't bother with BS parts.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

I would say get cams honestly... you shouldnt have any trouble running an 8 turbo to 350 whp.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:20 PM

he has cams.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even something as little as an intake can cause some cars to not make the kind of power that some owner's expect. Proper part brand is important.

Something else to consider is the overlooked stuff. Clamps, spark plugs, fuel, install of said parts, and the great "boost leak" issue.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the late response I was away. My mods are Turbo back exhaust with magnaflow muffler, K&N filter with maf, Hallman MBC, Fuel pump, Megan 02 housing, buschur Lower intercooler pipe and BC 272 cams tuned to 25lbs.. Cams were put into the car a few days before I bought it. The kid had to sell the car asap he had a family emergency.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hmoneybagz
Sorry for the late response I was away. My mods are Turbo back exhaust with magnaflow muffler, K&N filter with maf, Hallman MBC, Fuel pump, Megan 02 housing, buschur Lower intercooler pipe and BC 272 cams tuned to 25lbs.. Cams were put into the car a few days before I bought it. The kid had to sell the car asap he had a family emergency.
Very similar to my setup. Just one thing though. You mention you have a K&N filter with MAF. That is fine but i assume that is with the stock intake tube? If you are running the K&N typhoon intake tube then get rid of it. Its not a good design. When you take it out (if you have it) look at where the diverter valve goes into the tube...there is a "fin" of some sorts that sticks out quite a bit in the airflow path creating turbulence and messes with your MAF readings.

With the same setup as you bit with GSC S2 cams i made 315 on Iveys dyno with his tune. After changing the tune a but it was able to get up to 330 on VD dynojet settting. I then added an IX turbo and crested 400hp and 390tq on VD. Great bang for the buck mod if you ask me. I spent maybe 400 on the turbo and gained quite a bit of noticable power. Not to mention a MUCH fatter torque curve. Dont forget its not all about peak power its about the area under the curve

Now of I dont know how much you can trust the virtual dyno numbers but the but dyno says they are good Im very happy with my IX turbo so id say just go with that. If you wanted more then definitely look into the BBK series or FP green turbos. With those options your going from $500 to around $2000 though. Big difference.

Good luck!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ethan169
Very similar to my setup. Just one thing though. You mention you have a K&N filter with MAF. That is fine but i assume that is with the stock intake tube? If you are running the K&N typhoon intake tube then get rid of it. Its not a good design. When you take it out (if you have it) look at where the diverter valve goes into the tube...there is a "fin" of some sorts that sticks out quite a bit in the airflow path creating turbulence and messes with your MAF readings.

With the same setup as you bit with GSC S2 cams i made 315 on Iveys dyno with his tune. After changing the tune a but it was able to get up to 330 on VD dynojet settting. I then added an IX turbo and crested 400hp and 390tq on VD. Great bang for the buck mod if you ask me. I spent maybe 400 on the turbo and gained quite a bit of noticable power. Not to mention a MUCH fatter torque curve. Dont forget its not all about peak power its about the area under the curve

Now of I dont know how much you can trust the virtual dyno numbers but the but dyno says they are good Im very happy with my IX turbo so id say just go with that. If you wanted more then definitely look into the BBK series or FP green turbos. With those options your going from $500 to around $2000 though. Big difference.

Good luck!
Thanks for your input! I dont have much to play with since I just bought a house. The most I want to spend is 1k.. Im not trying to go too crazy and make over 400hp. I just want some good power. I was really considering the evo 9 turbo. I'll keep researching though.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

My personal opinion is Ix turbo and an after-market O2 housing. What year is your VIII? Do you have a 9.8 hotside or a 10.5 hotside?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have an viii with the tommi 6.5 turbo on it. it has the 10.5 hot side. I made 318hp/325tq at elevation running 24psi. the thing i noticed is i dynoed with and without a ported and coated ex. manifold and o2 housing. the torque curve is way broader with the ported parts. just a thought.... My tuner is also testing out the hks turbo and he says it is similar to the old greens. a real rod buster in his words. he's getting around 500 on a built 2.0l
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Id do a 9 turbo since thy are comon and affordable in the US .
I would not go anywhere NEAR a TD05 with a 20G compressor because they are such a poor match for the TD05 turbine particularly in the both styles of Evo compressor housing .
I think the whole 20G compressor fad started because its such an easy change to make because that compressor is basically a larger trim version of the 16G compressor wheel . Easy doesn't necessarily mean good ...
Trust me I searched and nowhere could I find an OE Mitsubishi turbo with a TD05 turbine teamed with a 20G compressor wheel . They seem to be found in turbos with TD06 turbines or larger . Generally people find 20G compressors are laggy or surge prone and there are better alternatives .

A .
Old Apr 4, 2011, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ethan169
My personal opinion is Ix turbo and an after-market O2 housing. What year is your VIII? Do you have a 9.8 hotside or a 10.5 hotside?
It has the 9.8 hotside
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rush63
You should be close to 350whp (dynojet) with those mods. My buddy's Evo 8 got 315whp with intake, TBE with HFC, MBC and fuel pump on Ivey's dyno last week.
Originally Posted by Hmoneybagz
Thats where I got tuned over a year ago. Idk why I made such low power?
It's your car not the tuner.

Quick Reply: 20g or Evo 9 turbo?