Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

20g or Evo 9 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rush63
It's your car not the tuner.
Most likely yes its the car. You need to go through the car and make sure everything is good on it. Boost leak test. Compression test if you like etc. The thing with getting tuned at Ivey is if there is any problem with the car he seems to just tune it anyway and not say anything. It really isnt his responsibility to make sure your car is tip top running condition before the tune happens. But for the price you pay their or most other places they should at least say something is wrong and not continue the tune until it is corrected. No sense in paying $400+ for a band aid. You will be disappointed. If you made low power im sure you heard one of these two phrases "You may have a tank of bad gas" or "your parts selection is poor." Granted these statements can be true but i feel a lot of the time they are excuses to move the customer along and collect money. Its a business after all.

That being said I think Ivey can tune a car well if he puts effort into it and the car is in proper shape. For the effort to be there you may have to have him personally do your work though....Again this is a business and its about money.

This is my opinion and experience anyway.

So again i say go with the IX turbo. I think you will like it.

Ethan

Last edited by ethan169; Apr 7, 2011 at 05:36 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When a customer brings a car in that we have not worked on we rely on the customer to let us know the condition and state of the car.

When the car finally arrives, sometimes we are shocked at the condition of the car and how it was put together. Frequently before even getting on the dyno we have to stop what we are doing to make unscheduled repairs on cars that were supposedly ready. Fuel leaks boost leaks, missing bolts, injector orings missing you name it.

I have to accept that not every car that comes in for the tune service is going to have the list of parts that we want on the car, sometimes the customers budget is a factor and they cannot afford to do it "right".

Ultimately if given the proper hardware tuning the car is a non issue.

As for me not saying anything, untrue. Problem is most customer do not want to hear that all the discount parts don't add up to the performance that they want.

Give me the parts I want, wrenched the way I want and we can assure you a certain result. Other than that you get our best efforts with what you have on the car.

When you book the appointment and get on the dyno that's pretty much where you have committed yourself, we have reserved the time for you on an expensive piece of equipment so get the car in shape or have us check it prior, which is something we do with customers who request it. Nobody wants to spend 1/2 a day working on a car and making pulls for free, we expect to be paid.

At the end of the day alot of customers do their parts selection based on perceived value at a lower price, they do not do it based on quality, as that is too expensive. At the end of the day the quality hardware seems to perform better in our experience. When I voice this opinion, people tend to get offended, and they decide to tell me why the cheap parts are better, and that their buddy told them blah blah.

The evo 8 and 9 are getting older and we are seeing more of them in poor shape sometimes to the point where we refuse to even touch them, we don't want to waste our time or the customers. If you don't have the budget to do it properly we for the most part are not interested because you will not be happy with the result.

You see some of the cars we build, don't fool yourself, we can get the job done if the customer is a willing partner with the financial resources to do it properly.

Evodan wrenches his own car, we did his engine management Vpro etc, he is meticulous in maintaining his car, and has the right parts......10.3@139 93 octane, not a shop car. There are many other examples.

Cheers,

Sean

Originally Posted by ethan169
Most likely yes its the car. You need to go through the car and make sure everything is good on it. Boost leak test. Compression test if you like etc. The thing with getting tuned at Ivey is if there is any problem with the car he seems to just tune it anyway and not say anything. It really isnt his responsibility to make sure your car is tip top running condition before the tune happens. But for the price you pay their or most other places they should at least say something is wrong and not continue the tune until it is corrected. No sense in paying $400+ for a band aid. You will be disappointed. If you made low power im sure you heard one of these two phrases "You may have a tank of bad gas" or "your parts selection is poor." Granted these statements can be true but i feel a lot of the time they are excuses to move the customer along and collect money. Its a business after all.

That being said I think Ivey can tune a car well if he puts effort into it and the car is in proper shape. For the effort to be their you may have to have him personally do your work though....Again this is a business and its about money.

This is my opinion and experience anyway.

So again i say go with the IX turbo. I think you will like it.

Ethan

Last edited by Sean@Iveytune; Apr 7, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

^If this is how you are doing things now then I personally think you are doing things right.

After all you (and every other shop) are selling a service. Even though this really is about cars etc. a key part of proper service is Customer service. This is my opinion anyway. You could be the best tuner, mechanic, designer, engineer etc in the world but without the proper customer service skills, its worthless to the majority of the population.

Originally Posted by Sean@Iveytune
The evo 8 and 9 are getting older and we are seeing more of them in poor shape sometimes to the point where we refuse to even touch them, we don't want to waste our time or the customers. If you don't have the budget to do it properly we for the most part are not interested because you will not be happy with the result.
Sean
^ I agree with this 100% and would consider this good service to the customer.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Get rid of that Megan mani and go with a stock ported, Ive seen nothing but problems with the megan manifolds such as cracking. Good luck buddy!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRivera
Get rid of that Megan mani and go with a stock ported, Ive seen nothing but problems with the megan manifolds such as cracking. Good luck buddy!
From what i can see he doesn't have a Megan manifold. He does have a Megan O2 housing though. Yes they are a cheaper alternative but many vendors sell them with confidence including Buscher i think. Or they used to anyway. I personally got mine from MAP with their ceramic coating and have had 0 issues with it and made great power with it.

There is one thing that i noticed that im not sure was from the o2 housing but its a possibility. When i was tuning my injectors i was running low boost to keep things safe until everything was in check. So i was around 17psi. By 5500rpm i would creep up to 20psi. It made for a fun power curve though. Anyway once i turned the boost up above 21psi or so it was steady with no substantial creep.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ethan169
From what i can see he doesn't have a Megan manifold. He does have a Megan O2 housing though. Yes they are a cheaper alternative but many vendors sell them with confidence including Buscher i think. Or they used to anyway. I personally got mine from MAP with their ceramic coating and have had 0 issues with it and made great power with it.

There is one thing that i noticed that im not sure was from the o2 housing but its a possibility. When i was tuning my injectors i was running low boost to keep things safe until everything was in check. So i was around 17psi. By 5500rpm i would creep up to 20psi. It made for a fun power curve though. Anyway once i turned the boost up above 21psi or so it was steady with no substantial creep.

Good catch I must have read it over too quick.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend the IX turbo. Spool is fast, as we all know, and it makes good power! Especially since you have the 9.8 hotside VIII turbo

Last edited by ElectricBlueIX; Apr 9, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:38 AM

Saving the money for a Green is definitely worth it over the 20G. I've had both and I'm telling you you'll love the FP.